Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Fibre install day !!  (Read 42967 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Fibre install day !!
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2012, 09:35:31 AM »

Hi BE,

That upward DS SNRM line looks far too straight.

Were the stats actually being logged during that period, or did logging recommence at around 08:00 the next day?

I would guess the connection had also resynced during that period?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2012, 05:31:15 PM »

My critical eye tells me that no valid data was recorded between the hours of 17:00 on 05/05/12 and 08:00 on 06/05/12 . . .  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2012, 08:04:53 AM »

Update

TT have passed this to OR who have accepted it as an FTTC1.  Apparently I don't need a visit for this but OR will do some remote testing.  Progress in the right direction then I hope.

Last ten days graphs attached.
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2012, 08:28:39 PM »

Hopefully . . .  :thumbs:

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2012, 02:56:56 PM »

How's the Huawei working for you? Hope it's okay.

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »

How's the Huawei working for you? Hope it's okay.

Yeah its working fine thanks and producing lots of lovely stats.  Well, they would be lovely if they looked better !!

Keep being tempted to put the ECI back on to see if it makes any difference, but I really don't want to lose access to those stats  :shrug2:

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2012, 04:51:38 PM »

OK, the most helpful BTOR engineer I have ever met has just left.

I now know that my line is 642m from my socket to the FTTC DSLAM.  I also know its ALUMINIUM for its entire length  :cry2:

Interestingly though, when the engineer arrived, I was in sync at 25meg so he went to the cabinet and got 25meg sync there as well.  On speaking to the help desk they told him that DLM had capped the line after it saw major error rates on Thursday the 10th.  My graphs bear this out.  Help desk said they could temporarily override this and set the profile to 35meg.  Engineer got 35meg sync at DSLAM and on returning tried to get his JDSU to sync up but the battery went flat.  He did however do a remote test using his phone (GEA something or other) and it returned 35meg sync at the modem.  Speed tests at this time were consistent with that sync rate, although he had swapped out my HG612 for an ECI before I arrived home from work.  This is a bit of a result though as he said I could keep it, thus I have two ECI's so will be unlocking one of them now !!!  8)

Anyway, the tests we have done between us have proved that although my line is ally, there is virtually no loss of speed over it from the DSLAM to the modem.  Unfortunately though, the ally makes the downstream SNR bounce around a lot and DLM doesn't like it one little bit, hence the cap at 25meg.

The engineer also mentioned something about a Brandenberg test (I think) which was apparently showing a wet joint but he said he thought this most unlikely, given the path of the cable.  Annoyingly, the pole next door but two, which is where the dropwire to my house comes from, is the last one on the run from that cabinet and therefore if I lived but one house to the left, I would be on a different cabinet, the D side of which is entirely copper  :'(

Ah well, at least I know now why my ADSL2+ max speed was 9 meg and why my fibre isn't performing as well as it should, although I have to say its better than I would have expected on ally.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2012, 05:57:31 PM »

Anyway, the tests we have done between us have proved that although my line is ally, there is virtually no loss of speed over it from the DSLAM to the modem.  Unfortunately though, the ally makes the downstream SNR bounce around a lot and DLM doesn't like it one little bit, hence the cap at 25meg.

Hmmm.

Doesn't ally just attenuate the signal a little more than copper?
I have seen reports of other supposedly 100% ally lines where stability has not been an issue & speeds have been relatively high.

The engineer also mentioned something about a Brandenberg test (I think) which was apparently showing a wet joint but he said he thought this most unlikely, given the path of the cable.

Oh dear. Something else we will have to read about!
A proper bloke would post a link for us  ;)

Ah well, at least I know now why my ADSL2+ max speed was 9 meg and why my fibre isn't performing as well as it should, although I have to say its better than I would have expected on ally.

A few positives in there then.

I would say the various errors have caused the quite low DLM speed caps, but I'm not convinced that ally cabling is the whole cause of the errors.

It may just be that trying to provide up to 40Mb down a line that can only deliver say 30Mb is the cause of the errors.

Once over, Plusnet experimented with capping my THROUGHPUT profile to 32Mb to reduce packet loss/uncorrected errors etc.
It did appear to induce some stability & I was able to maintain higher sync speeds than DLM's agressive capping mechanism for a while (until the "other" intermittent connection dropping when using the phone issues resurfaced).

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »

When OR over-rode the DLM cap and put the profile to 35meg at the DSLAM, the modem was in sync at 35meg also, which suprised the engineer a little bit as there was no loss of speed over the loop.  This is quite obviously the case as when he arrived the modem was in sync at 25meg (actually 24998 kbps) and he got the exact same figure at the DSLAM when he plugged his JDSU into it. So the issue isn't loss of signal over the ally, its the wavy SNR (engineer said). 

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2012, 11:05:56 PM »

A further update.

Today OR came out again.  I was at work and neither my wife or I were expecting them.  Apparently, having fed back to TT networks the results of Monday, networks told OR that my speed was still slow and that they wanted the line re-profiled.  Engineer turns up at house to check if this has been done. No. looks at his JDSU for a bit, mutters something to my wife (who has no clue at all about bb) that 'something isn't quite right' and that he's going to the cab to have a look at things.  Off he goes, and thats the last she sees of him as he doesn't return.  This is, I should mention, all pre-noon.

This afternoon at 14:15, my line re-syncs at 39997/2000 <- woohoo, top speed  :D

I check my graphs when I come in from work and find that where the RS graph had previously being going crazy, it is now empty....Hmmm, I suspect something has happened with the logging so I check again.  No, all the logging is fine, the graph suddenly stops when the line re-synced.  Also, interleaving is now off, where it was on before (and quite high too).

Now I have no idea what this OR engineer did exactly, but something has quite definitely changed as evidenced by the attached graphs of the last 24hrs. 

I am now waiting with some trepidation to see what DLM does  :no:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2012, 03:03:58 AM »

Things seem to be looking good! Now just like I said to Snadge, previously: "No fiddling!"  :P

:thumbs:  :dance:  :silly:  :congrats:

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2012, 09:23:59 PM »

Hi BE,

How's the connection holding up these days?

A montage of the latest 30 days or so would be good for us to view  ;)

Mine's been stable since the latest engineer visit of Saturday 26th May, apart from 2 DLM induced re-syncs (to turn Interleavibg back on at a fairly lowish level).
Any other connection drops have been caused by me to run "tests", try out a dangly filter in the test as a comparison against the replacement SSFP etc. (the dangly filter actually caused SNRM to reduce)

An unsorted montage of the latest 30 days of my connection is attached.
Recent sudden increases in US attenuation are "interesting".

There are now 25 graphs in total that can be plotted.
An updated set of batch files is imminent for release, probably within the next 2 weeks.
Let me know if you would like to test them out on your connection.

EDIT:

Just replacing the existing batch files will start adding the extra data to modem_stats.log without losing any previous data, so ongoing records are maintained intact (in theory).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 09:30:31 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2012, 09:44:12 PM »

Haha Paul, I would be more than interested in your new bat files  ;)

As to how its holding up, it was doing really well until a day or so ago, when the connection dropped for the first time since OR had sorted things out, and its come back with much higher interleaving and a lower sync.  Its still not bad however, considering its an aluminium line and is 648m long !

You will see from the attached montgae that there is some data missing for a few days.  BE confesses he was messing with the scripts to try to log & graph more data but apparently stuffed it up !!!  :-[ Hence my great interest in your new ones  ;D

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2012, 10:25:50 PM »

You will see from the attached montgae that there is some data missing for a few days.  BE confesses he was messing with the scripts to try to log & graph more data but apparently stuffed it up !!!  :-[ Hence my great interest in your new ones  ;D

Oops!

Email with attachment sent accordingly.

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2012, 10:43:20 PM »

Thanks Paul, will email you if any issues  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

anything