Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Fibre install day !!  (Read 43093 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Fibre install day !!
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2012, 09:19:34 PM »

I have to say that's one of the worst connections I have seen to date (apart from my own that I see every day).

Can you pinpoint any of the drops/jumps in SNRM to any equipment being switched on/off, maybe even dialling or receiving a telephone call?

I am currently experiencing the phone call issue.
It is occasionally that bad that SNRM drops to a few dB below zero & causes an immediate re-sync (almost always at a lower speed).

Sometimes receiving a call causes SNRM & attainable rate to increase.

Not recently, but I have occasionally seen my connection hang on to about 0.5dB SNRM for 1 or 2 hours (not using the phone) before picking up again (without a re-sync).

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2012, 10:11:59 PM »

Well mate, thanks for that lol, its nice to have friends !!

Sadly no, I have never been able to pinpoint my SNR drops to any devices or local interference.

I do know that the installing engineer was concerned about the amount of RS errors he was seeing on his JDSU.  It isn't bad enough though for OR to do anything about it, and it wasn't on ADSL2+ either.  The fact that my line goes for 650m in the opposite direction to the exchange didn't help on ADSL either.

B'eagle just lives with his line and accepts there is nothing anyone will do  :cry2:
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2012, 10:28:45 PM »

Well mate, thanks for that lol, its nice to have friends !!

:lol: :lol:  Join the club!

B'eagle just lives with his line and accepts there is nothing anyone will do  :cry2:

If this B'eagle had any sense, he'd do the same  :'(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2012, 11:15:25 PM »

:lol: :lol:  Join the club!

The "Defective Line Eagle Club"?  ::)

Remember that actual VDSL2 experience is only now being obtained, thus those of you who have the practical ability to gather meaningful data (albeit from poorly performing lines) are assisting Openreach (and thus the Beatie Group) in its learning process.

The current data set regarding VDSL2 performance, as provisioned for U.K. usage by Openreach, is just the theoretical and experimental results from the wizards at Grimbledon Down (a.k.a. Martlesham Heath).

Assuming you both have your ISPs "on board", I suspect that Openreach will ultimately try their best to resolve the real-world issues that you both have highlighted. 
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2012, 07:39:49 AM »

If my connection stays steady for a few more days, I think a change of modem may be in order to see if the speed changes much.

If/when you do decide to change modems back to the ECI, it might provide interesting/useful research information if you would firstly be prepared to power off the HG612, leave it a few minutes, power it back on, leave it a few minutes & gather its stats again - just to see if the HG612/ECI DSLAM combination still populates US QLN & Hlog tones.

To ensure DLM wouldn't see it as instability, then maybe wait for up to 1 hour before switching to the ECI modem.

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2012, 08:25:52 PM »

I haven't power cycled it yet, but it has re-synced and the stats still show QLN data.  Horrible burst of noise last night, as evidenced over several graphs.

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2012, 09:12:09 PM »

An update  ;D

A power cycle is imminent, so a montage of my current stats is attached, followed by stats immediately afterwards.

@BE, no QLN data anymore !!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 09:20:13 PM by Blackeagle »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2012, 10:15:25 PM »

@BE, no QLN data anymore !!

That now looks more like we would expect.

I also guess you didn't see the Hlog data error as the script was working?

I see DS SNRM increased following the power cycle, as did your attainable rate.

However, sync speed remained at 32399 k, which suggests that DLM has now capped your sync speed, no doubt due to the "messiness" displayed in your Ongoing graphs, even though Interleaving depth has dropped to a more respectable level.
I imagine INP & delay have also reduced slightly.

How long your sync speed will remain capped is anyone's guess.
On occasions mine had remained capped for a couple of weeks at a time, requiring an engineer's visit to get it reset.

Looking at the "messiness", there would not appear to be much point in using up all your "DLM resets lives" until which time a cause of the messiness can be determined & some engineering repair work has been carried out.
My suspicion is that your line is somewhat defective, rather than this simply being a noise issue.

Maybe a few weeks of monitoring your Ongoing graphs will highlight a pattern to the SNRM drops, sudden large increases error counts and/or re-syncs.
If it is truly intermittent, like my connection, it must surely point to a repairable D-Side fault "somewhere".

Getting your ISP & BT to accept your line needs "fully" testing is another matter though as your connection will no doubt be "performing within acceptable limits".
If your ISP appears receptive, it MIGHT be worth providing them with a few graphs of your connection over say a 1 month period.

Even if you manage to get the line tested, it might happen that it is tested when things are intermittently "good".
That seems to be the case with my connection as it takes that long to arrange an engineer's visit that the fault has intermittently disappeared by the time they turn up.

On the other hand, for a quiet & sane life, you may decide to accept that 32.4Mb ain't too bad anyway, as long as it doesn't deteriorate much further  ;)

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2012, 04:40:58 PM »

32.4meg ain't bad really, but the fact that the installing engineer was suprised at the speed RS errors were racking up on his JDSU, coupled with the (admittedly short) data that I have harvested already, does point to a 'D' side issue.  Its such a shame that the OR testing suite was unavailable that day. He did try several times, and also commented that it had been unavailable all day so far (this was around 2PM).

As you so rightly say, pursuading the powers that be that there is an issue is another matter altogether. I am not so worried about pure sync speed although obviously I would like it to be as high as it can be, but am more concerned that the high error rate is impacting throughput speed.  For example, the very first test I did on speedtest.net with VDSL2.

Contrast this with

Which was done at my higher sync speed of 35000Kbps

Now, either my throughput really is pants or speedtest.net isn't accurate.

I do wonder if the higher test results were because of the ECI/ECI combination though.  I will have to change back shortly to find out !!

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2012, 06:12:27 PM »

I ALWAYS use speedtest.net as I have found it to be the most consistent.

I usually see throughput of around 97% of IP Profile, which is 96.79% of sync speed.

e.g. sync speed 29061 k = 28128 k IP Profile = 27284 k throughput, so for me, speedtest.net seems pretty accurate:-

My ping time looks pretty good too, not that it matters as I'm not a gamer.

I can't understand why Interleaving has been OFF for my connection for the last few weeks though as I certainly see plenty of errors.
DS Interleaving was always on (LOW) with ping times of around 26-30ms until recently (apart from when throughput was 33Mb & ping times were 5ms for the first month).

How will you manage to sleep at night when you have no stats & graphs to lovingly stare at?  :lol:

I could always send some of mine to you - I have thousands of them & just to rub salt in the wound I have quite a few from other users' really fast & stable connections  :(

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2012, 08:19:29 PM »

No, thats fine Paul, I think I'll just stick with my graphs thanks !!

Anyways, I have this evening, after much deliberation, decided to post on TTFM regarding the state of my line, so we will see what the OCE have to say and whether or not talktalk will take up the issue and instigate an OR investigation.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2012, 01:29:56 AM »

:hmm: Hmm . . . Would this be your thread?

If so, I'll watch it with interest.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2012, 03:33:08 AM »

:hmm: Hmm . . . Would this be your thread?

If so, I'll watch it with interest.  ;)

Thats the one my feline friend  ;)

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2012, 08:40:36 PM »

Aha.....Action  ;D

My issue is getting escalated to Networks based mainly I think, on the good graph/bad graph comparisons I have posted and the enormous amount of errors I'm getting.  Hopefully they will bounce it straight to OR.

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2012, 10:25:08 AM »

UPDATE

Something happened at around 4.30-5.00pm last night (saturday).  SNR began to rise quite substantially and errors appear to decrease at the same time.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8