Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A headphone problem  (Read 6898 times)

scottiesmum

A headphone problem
« on: January 25, 2012, 03:41:44 PM »

I know this is not really computer connected (although I do use them with my computer speakers !)  .....I have the Sennheiser RS4200 headphones which I bought about 4 years ago.  They are superb ....but recently when I plug them into my computer speakers I get a 'buzzing' ...if I wiggle the wire about it solves the buzzing, but then sometimes I get an uneven sound (one side louder than other)  ...  I wondered if this was the jack plug /wire- but I've just spoken to a Sennheiser spare part place in Pars and the man there said he didn't think  the plug was the problem, although would be  quite happy to sell me one if I wanted - he didn't want me to waste my money    (nice man  ;D ).  He could well be right as when I plug them into  a television there is no "interference".    I wonder if any one  can shed any light on this perhaps ?  Thank you. 

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: A headphone problem
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 03:56:14 PM »

At a guess I would say that it's probably a problem with the speaker socket which you're plugging the headphones into. Loose or tarnished connections perhaps.
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 03:59:57 PM »

Perhaps new speakers required Eric ? 

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 04:18:02 PM »

Buzzing in the ears......... :hmm:

New speakers........ :no:

:drunk: .......... ;)

:D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 04:31:38 PM »

;D

>> Perhaps new speakers required Eric ?

I'm not sure that plugging the headphones into the speakers is really the best way to connect them. Can you plug the headphones directly into the PC?
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 04:39:17 PM »

:lol: @ TD    :o  ...ce n'est pas vrai   

Eric,  I'm not sure that plugging the headphones into the speakers is really the best way to connect them. Can you plug the headphones directly into the PC?

Not without a lot of hassle  ...  plug is in back of tower..... I've just shoved a toothpick in the speaker headphone socket  .... waggled it about ...  cleaned the jack plug ....   (just call me Mme. Barry Bucknell ) and it's done something  :D   I'll see how I get on ... I just thought someone might have had a similar problem.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 06:28:58 PM »

That's similar to the problem I've got with an ancient pair of Sennheiser HD535 headphones.  Replacement cables for Sennheiser devices are a frightening price.. £35+ on the high street, and still £20+shipped from China.   Sennheiser intentionally uses obscure or proprietary connectors so it can control the market in replacements.

The RS series are a wireless (RF) range though, so it can't be the headphone cabling, as such.

Maybe test again using the infectious sounds of the late Miriam Makeba! 
http://youtu.be/87S_wbCsNbQ

A case of elimination..  do the headphones crackle when the transmitter is fed from a different audio output, an MP3 player, for example?

cheers, a

scottiesmum

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 08:29:21 PM »

Thank you a ....  I listened to your you tube link   ;D  ...... I've plugged directly into the computer and there is no buzzing at all  .... same with a television   .....BUT .. I still have the sound difference in each ear.   I've twiddled with the left /right indicator and that makes not a lot of difference (I've swapped them about to make sure it's not my hearing  ;D)   One is definitely louder than the other, but I can live with that  - it's the infernal buzzing, which occurs ONLY  when I plug into the speakers.  This is the easier option, as mentioned below, to plug into the computer I have to turn the whole tower around and that, to be honest makes it a 'non-option'.

I can stop the buzzing eventually, by jiggling the wire, on the blue jack plug, and then balancing it in place   :'(   Interesting, and this might give a clue (but I can't figure it out !)  when I switch  on/off either the lamps or the main light in the room where my computer is, that starts it off the buzzing too ! and jiggling the wire again fixes it  :-X

The speakers are not particularly wonderful ones, as long as I can listen I'm not bothered about fancy speakers, but if it's felt that these are the problem I'm happy to replace them.

Your price for the replacement cable is interesting  .... my Parisian monsieur quoted me 17 Euros plus 4€.20  p/p.   But he said I would be wasting my money ;D

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 08:56:54 PM »

Thank you a ....  I listened to your you tube link   ;D

Amazing eh?!
...... I've plugged directly into the computer
I'm a bit lost.  What were the headphones plugged in to before?
and there is no buzzing at all  .... same with a television   .....BUT .. I still have the sound difference in each ear.   I've twiddled with the left /right indicator

Where is the balance control knob?  on the headphones/transmitter unit?   or on the audio appliance, the tv, or computer, etc?

If the knob is on the headphones, they are a common source of noise. The knob usually consists of very poorly fabricated carbon tracks, which are used with a rotary slider mechanism to form an ultra-low cost potentiometer.

and that makes not a lot of difference (I've swapped them about to make sure it's not my hearing  ;D)   One is definitely louder than the other, but I can live with that  -

it's the infernal buzzing, which occurs ONLY  when I plug into the speakers.

Plugged into the speakers? 

This is the easier option, as mentioned below, to plug into the computer I have to turn the whole tower around and that, to be honest makes it a 'non-option'.

I can stop the buzzing eventually, by jiggling the wire, on the blue jack plug,

So the fault sounds like it's with the blue jack plug (which is the 3.5mm jack on the transmitter unit?), or
in the 3.5mm socket on the PC, or
in the audio cable that leads from the blue jack plug to the transmitter unit?

and then balancing it in place   :'(   Interesting, and this might give a clue (but I can't figure it out !)  when I switch  on/off either the lamps or the main light in the room where my computer is, that starts it off the buzzing too ! and jiggling the wire again fixes it  :-X
This sounds like a job for Walter!

The speakers are not particularly wonderful ones, as long as I can listen I'm not bothered about fancy speakers, but if it's felt that these are the problem I'm happy to replace them.

speakers? or  headphones?

Your price for the replacement cable is interesting  .... my Parisian monsieur quoted me 17 Euros plus 4€.20  p/p.   But he said I would be wasting my money ;D

that's quite a bit cheaper.  presumably different cables.   here's the replacement sennheiser cable that i would have to buy:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Consumer-Electronics-/293/i.html?_nkw=hd565&_catref=1&_sc=1&_sop=2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1538

£30 is the absolute cheapest price from a uk seller on ebay. they are cheaper from overseas.. have a look at the (shock horror) price of those foam ear pads for these headphones.. £40-£50 !

cheers, a

scottiesmum

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 09:56:55 PM »

a, headphones plugged into speakers (speakers plugged into rear of tower)   speakers have headphone socket on side of one speaker.  They have worked perfectly for 4 years plus.  The balance control is on the back of the headphones  .....    quite a tricky thing to manoeuvre.    I'm sure the problem is not with the jack plug or the computer jack socket because there is not problem at all when plugged directly into the computer.  Which only leaves the speaker.  Eric mentioned that the speaker socket might be loose or tarnished ....

I'm sorry to cause all this explanation   -again !  asbo ... (I don't really like calling you that  :D) kind of you to take so much time.   I do not want to replace the headphones  ...they work fine apart from in the speaker   ...   but I'm happy to buy new speakers, and I think that's what I'm going to have to do.  I think it may simply be wear and tear on the  speaker jack socket - having tried the things I have.

I see what you mean about the foam ear pads for your headphones   :o   these are my headphones   ..... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-RS-4200-Lightweight-Stethoset/dp/B000JR0BWQ    -   

Thanks you for all your interest  ... I'm listening to the radio now, via the speakers and NO BUZZ   ;D

bonne nuit ...

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 12:10:35 AM »

these are my headphones   ..... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-RS-4200-Lightweight-Stethoset/dp/B000JR0BWQ    -   

.. I'm listening to the radio now, via the speakers and NO BUZZ   

I now see... they are 'wireless headphones'   ;D

It's nothing to do with loose connections.!  ;)

I have some Sennheiser TR120 , These have 'on/off switch', a 'volume contro'l, a 'tuning control knob' ( to tune into the signal being transmitted from the base unit ) on the headphones .
On the base unit there is a 'Frequency change over switch'.
 you can get  buzzing by:-
1. Overloading the headphones by having the input into the base unit to high (not a good idea to feed from your speaker as this is possibly a boosted signal !).
2.Headphones not tuned into the base unit.
3.Going out of range of the base unit signal ( I find with mine I can go about 100M outside but in some rooms in the house I can loose the signal and get a buzzing).
4. Some times I've had interference and I have had to change the frequency switch over on the base unit and re-tune the headphones into it again.
5. Batteries (in headset ) low on charge .
If I use mine on a computer with the socket at the back , I have some short extension leads that I leave plugged in to the plug on the back and just plug in the base station lead into the other end of the extension
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stereo-Socket-Headphone-Extension-Nickel/dp/B001D2QXJQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1327535204&sr=8-3

You say one side is louder than the other = you do not have it tuned into the base unit properly !.
What I do to tune it in .. stand near the base unit, move the 'tuning control knob' to the left until it goes off, then to the right   until it comes on then goes off again, you should then set the knob about midway to a clear undistorted signal. (You may have to repeat this a few times until you get it right)
Good luck with them. :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

scottiesmum

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 08:27:23 AM »

:-[    sorry forgot to mention they were wireless  ::)    Thank you Mike  ....   I shall get an extension cable and then I'll follow your hints about tuning. I do need to press the frequency button at times but that's normally when I go outside.   I think the problem is the direct plug in to the speakers, as I can be sat near the speaker and still get the buzz, so it's not a distance thing.  Mine work also to a distance of 100 metres and because they are so lightweight are superb when I'm gardening.

Many thanks to all again  :)

PS....   Balance problem sorted already   ....  Thank you Mike !
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:44:28 AM by scottiesmum »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 09:26:51 AM »

Wireless........ :hmm:

Well, at least you don't have to bury any cables..... :D

scottiesmum

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 09:29:38 AM »

:D  I nearly buried the headphones yesterday  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 10:32:36 AM »

:-[    sorry forgot to mention they were wireless  ::)    Thank you Mike  ....   I shall get an extension cable and then I'll follow your hints about tuning. I do need to press the frequency button at times but that's normally when I go outside.   I think the problem is the direct plug in to the speakers, as I can be sat near the speaker and still get the buzz, so it's not a distance thing.  Mine work also to a distance of 100 metres and because they are so lightweight are superb when I'm gardening.

Many thanks to all again  :)

PS....   Balance problem sorted already   ....  Thank you Mike !
You are welcome.  :).
I use mine also when I'm gardening, I have had a signal from about 1000M away  :o but it was not good quality.
You get a good 'Bass' note  from my model so they are good for music.
I have noted that if they are not adjusted right they do pick up the other Radio and TV signals / noise.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.
Pages: [1] 2