Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Only in the UK !  (Read 1195 times)

AdrianH

Only in the UK !
« on: January 19, 2012, 10:05:13 AM »

This just appeared on the BBC News page, we really are an amazing nation. ::) ???

:-[   Oh well managed to mess that up...... the image I tried to capture showed a red newslash banner proclaiming a 4% fall in UK crime, under which was a headline that stated there is a 10% in knife crime and further down the article claiming a 4% increase in crime ......... so just to prove I haven't lost the plot ..........

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/crime-total-down-4-6291680.html

Crime total down 4%
The number of crimes recorded by police fell by four per cent to 4.1 million in the last year, figures showed today.

The fall was fuelled by a drop in the number of all crime offence groups except robbery and other thefts, which were both up four per cent in the year to September, compared with the previous 12 months.

Separate figures from the British Crime Survey showed "no statistically significant change" in the estimated number of crimes compared with the previous 12 months.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:43:30 AM by AdrianH »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Only in the UK !
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 08:13:20 PM »

You can't read too much into the statistics.

My shed got broken into last night.  Nothing appears stolen, though when the same thing happened a year or so ago my lawn-mower petrol can disappeared, with about £5 worth of petrol.   Twenty years ago I'd have reported both incidents and they would have figured on the statistics.  Nowadays my experience is that the police aren't the least bit interested in petty crime, and the phone call would be a complete waste of breath.

And I have some sympathy... the police are so under-resourced that conscience prevents me from reporting such a trivial matter.  Even if the local cop-shop has time on their hands, I'd far rather they put some effort into prosecuting the traffic that speeds through the village, safe in the knowledge that as long as there's no camera-van, there's no risk.

Nevertheless, I suspect such pragmatism accounts for a large part of the reduction in 'reported crime'>:(