Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Energy Bills to Fall  (Read 11438 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Energy Bills to Fall
« on: January 07, 2012, 10:39:57 AM »

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/294096/Energy-bills-to-fall-by-10-

A PRICE war is set to slash gas and electricity bills for millions of hard-up families by 10 per cent.

British Gas refused to comment yesterday on market speculation but executives are understood to be considering announcing a price cut before its parent company Centrica announces its annual results on February 23.

They must be expecting record profits,hence the prospect of a 'sweetner' before they post them. >:(

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Re: Energy Bills to Fall
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 03:56:06 PM »

Do you have a slight dislike for energy companies, UncleUB?
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 04:35:07 PM »

Do you have a slight dislike for energy companies, UncleUB?

Doesn't everyone ?

I might feel different when I am a pensioner  ;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 04:44:26 PM by UncleUB »

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 10:01:33 AM »

I'm with Co-operative energy and I will be benefiting from a 3% cut from 1st February which isn't much but is better than nothing  ;D
Mike

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 10:08:51 AM »

Isn't it strange that there are always price rises just before winter, and any reductions just after winter,,, :hmm:

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 10:11:42 AM »

Isn't it strange that there are always price rises just before winter, and any reductions just after winter,,, :hmm:
Yeah if we weren't cynical we would think that it was to maximise the energy companies profits  ;D
Mike

AdrianH

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 11:39:28 AM »

Like banks that only want to lend money when you don't need it and charge evil amounts of interest when you can't afford it. ::)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 11:20:37 AM »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/advice/money/energy/2012/01/09/energy-price-cuts-just-around-the-corner-115875-23691891/

“Wholesale gas prices have been dropping like a stone since the summer. Markets are drained of confidence due to the travails of the Euro and fears of another recession.

“Wholesale gas prices are down to 53p / therm for winter gas, 25p or 32% down on what they were in early September. The wholesale price makes up 47% of the cost of supplying gas to a home, according to OFGEM - meaning that a 32% wholesale price drop would cut the costs of supply of gas to a home by around 15%.

"At the same time, wholesale electricity prices are down by 27% from their summer peak. The wholesale price makes up 40% of the cost of supplying electricity to a homeaccording to OFGEM meaning that a 27% wholesale price drop would cut the costs to supply gas by around 11%."

Price cuts could start to be announced before winter is out, but Todd added: “Our advice to customers wanting to cut their bills is to switch now rather than wait around for a price drop. Though price drops may come, waiting for one can be a rather slow and often disappointing process.”

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 12:40:48 PM »

I am with EDF and have been for 30 or more years (SWEB back then) now they only bill you every 6 months so I can see lots of people getting large bills they can't pay in the future.

I phoned up today to ask if there was  any cheaper package other than the standard rate and no was the answer, they do have two lockin rates and they pay you to join it (I wonder why?) but the one was at the same rate I pay now so I never took up any offer.

I will get a bill and do a comparison of rates and maybe wait a little to find a better rate/deal.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 12:43:52 PM by BritBrat »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 12:47:14 PM »

Weird, has there been a rewind on the forum, or this thread?
I'm sure I posted a small innocuous comment about my supplier in response to something else but both posts are gone....  :-X

Edit: There's been a rewind on my brain.  ;D 2 similar threads that I'm confusing.  :-[

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 12:47:40 PM »

Hi Britbrat  :)

I am on online s@ver version 8 at present and nothing is cheaper,but when it expires at the end of march all EDF have at present is standard tariff,price protection 2013(which is the same price as standard but with a £50 credit to your electricity bill chucked in)Price protection 2014(£75 credit) and their green tariff.
The cheapest of these is £125 a year more than my present tariff

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 12:49:07 PM »

Weird, has there been a rewind on the forum, or this thread?
I'm sure I posted a small innocuous comment about my supplier in response to something else but both posts are gone....  :-X

Edit: There's been a rewind on my brain.  ;D 2 similar threads that I'm confusing.  :-[

Was it this thread HP,post #10#

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,10480.msg208341.html#new

Edit.......Just seen your edit  ;D

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 12:53:50 PM »

Just had lunch and my brain isn't in focus.....  :-X

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 07:56:32 PM »

I was on online s@ver version 7 that ended 31 Dec 2011.

Also with the new EDF online account you can't see any old bills.  Have you still got access to your online account if you had ever signed up to one?

@ HPsauce

Burp. :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 07:59:56 PM by BritBrat »

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 08:01:06 AM »

Pages: [1] 2