Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Three times as confused, or 200% more?  (Read 1033 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Three times as confused, or 200% more?
« on: December 02, 2011, 06:26:53 PM »

It's common for the BBC these days to use terminology that makes the best headline, rather than that which is is most concise.  I've just heard a good example on the six o'clock news that there has been a 'four hundred percent increase' in liver disease.

I'm not trying to start a debate on liver disease here, or the hazards (or merits) of alcohol abuse, so let's assume instead they were talking of ingrown toenails, and the BBC had reported a 400% increase.  If we assume there were (say) 1000 cases last year, then a 10% increase would mean 1100 this year.  A 90% increase would mean 1900 this year and so on, so a 400% increase would mean there were 5000 ingrown toenails this year.

If there were indeed a 400% increase, with 5000 new ingrown toenails this year, as opposed to 1000 last year, then surely 'five fold' would have made a better headline.   In that case, why did the BBC not say so?

This is not a cryptic puzzle, I am simply trying to figure out how to interpret the figures that are presented to as as 'news' these days. 

Any thoughts, anybody?

- 7LM

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Three times as confused, or 200% more?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 06:33:25 PM »

You're quite right about the imprecision. My guess would be that they actually mean that the new figure is four times the previous one, although that isn't what they said of course.
  Eric