Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: More delay  (Read 1387 times)

Maturecheese

More delay
« on: November 02, 2011, 01:36:32 PM »

I am hopefully going to be able to have BT Infinity at the end of Dec if it's not put back yet again but in the meantime I have noticed that my broadband performance seems to have deteriorated.  There seems to be more delay loading a lot of web pages than before but online speed testers are showing no real difference and router stats is showing no real change apart from 60db attenuation instead of the usual 59db.  Could the fact that BT have laid fibre to the cabinet serving my house have any bearing on this?  Also I have a poor telephone line, with broadband connected, so bad in fact that answer machine messages are so bad they can't be understood.  Will this improve with fttc?
Blessed are the Cheesemakers

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: More delay
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 04:12:34 PM »

The majority of your questions could be answered with a "maybe" or a "possibly not" or a "that is unknown". However you have mentioned something of significance and that should be rectified now, before any VDSL2 (FTTC) service is installed --

Also I have a poor telephone line, with broadband connected, so bad in fact that answer machine messages are so bad they can't be understood.

If you are experiencing a poor quality telephony service (weak, muffled signal, hisses, pops, click, buzzes, hums), you should first check by connecting a traditional wired telephone to the test socket behind the lower front half of the NTE5/A and calling 17070, selecting menu option number 2. Listen to the line. The only thing of which you should be aware is that the line is "live". If you notice anything else, report a voice line fault to whoever you pay for your telephone service. Make no mention of broadband.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything