Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Digital Switchover  (Read 10084 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Digital Switchover
« on: September 21, 2011, 07:11:01 AM »

We have switched over today and after doing a first time set up retune all is very good.

We did the first part of the switchover a couple of weeks back and while a lot of channels were good a few were giving a very poor signal or not even displaying at all.

But all seems well now...before the switchover the BBC channels were only giving a digital signal of around 50%,its now 80%,same with ITV 1,2 and 4.

The ITV3 channel which for some reason is on another block of channels was giving 0 to 20% a couple of weeks  ago,now 55%.

I think a lot of people have switched over,but there are still areas that haven't......how was the switchover for you?

Our signal comes from the Emley Moor transmitter,which is in West Yorkshire

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Digital Switchover
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 07:29:22 AM »

Good morning, unkyUb  :)

We went fully digital in May of this year and all went flawlessly. Very good quality pictures and a strong signal on all of some 88 channels (some of which are not worth watching ).

We have only one problem. Every evening at 1942 hours, and without fail, the signal breaks up for some 5 seconds across all channels. There must be a source of interference being switched on/off at that time every day... :(   ........and it's not internal or exclusive to me, the whole village experiences the same problem.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 07:43:28 AM »

Good morning to you also TD......I hope you are well  :)

We have our main TV only connected to the Sky + box(no aerial),But our little flat screen one in the bedroom that has built in freeview and a dvd player is connected to the aerial...

Which is in the loft connected to what only can be described as a brush stale  :-X which is clamped to the joist.  ;D

We have live here 11 years,there was a little old lady who lived here before who was living in a time warp.The aerial wire came down the walls from the loft(hidden behind wallpaper) :o  :D.This has long since been replaced and re routed.We have never bothered replacing the aerial as we have always had a very good picture,just have to be careful when Sue goes in the loft for the Christmas decorations. ;D

Our main TV is just a 28" crt one and at present we are researching to upgrade to a new 40/42" set,blu ray player and a surround sound system(I am hoping that will benefit my poor hearing)

So in the next few weeks I shall be sending the collection plate round  ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 07:48:11 AM »

We haven't switched over yet, but some years ago I installed a good aerial and masthead amplifier, so I get an adequate signal already.

Every evening at 1942 hours...

What a fascinating little problem. :)  It's rather difficult to think of something which would black out a whole village like that at exactly the same time every day, but I suppose that 5 seconds isn't long enough to be any more than a minor irritation.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 07:52:48 AM »

We haven't switched over yet, but some years ago I installed a good aerial and masthead amplifier, so I get an adequate signal already.

When do you switch Eric......?

When we were at Pevensey in July we struggled to get a digital signal(bear in mind we were only using our little aerial on an adjustable mast),we had to use the analogue signal.

Is Pevensey in the same switchover area as yourself.?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 08:32:05 AM »

I get my TV from Dover, Phil, and the switchover is scheduled for June 2012.

In Pevensey I would have expected you to get a decent signal from Hastings, but maybe you were pointed at Heathfield instead.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 08:43:20 AM »

Thanks Eric,

I see the SE is in the Meridian TV area,which starts to switchover(depending where you live) Feb 2012

According to the Digital Region site,the campsite we go to does get its signal from the Heathfield transmitter and is due to switch ,first stage 30.05,2012 and second stage 13.06.2012 :)

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 12:48:20 PM »

We went fully digital in May of this year and all went flawlessly. Very good quality pictures and a strong signal on all of some 88 channels (some of which are not worth watching ).

We have only one problem. Every evening at 1942 hours, and without fail, the signal breaks up for some 5 seconds across all channels. There must be a source of interference being switched on/off at that time every day... :(   ........and it's not internal or exclusive to me, the whole village experiences the same problem.

In Gloucestershire we got that break up at around 18:50 and now in North Yorkshire we get it at 19:14.  Just the same - a 5 second break up, sometimes followed about 5 minutes later by another.  Could it be the regions syncing their broadcasts?

Colin

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »

In Gloucestershire we got that break up at around 18:50 and now in North Yorkshire we get it at 19:14.  Just the same - a 5 second break up, sometimes followed about 5 minutes later by another.  Could it be the regions syncing their broadcasts?

The Mendip transmitter usually has a "blink" just after 8:30am and again just before 9:00am. It's so predictable I've time to go into the menu and check the channel data to watch when it occurs and it's always a signal strength blip rather than signal quality.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 04:28:31 PM »

Hi
quote:In Pevensey I would have expected you to get a decent signal from Hastings, but maybe you were pointed at Heathfield instead.

just a thought .in areas where you may have a choice of different transmitters,  its worth remembering that you will probably have to change the areal polarity as well as direction to receive the alternate one

regards Jeff

zen user

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 07:00:31 PM »

We have switched over today and after doing a first time set up retune all is very good.

//snip//

I think a lot of people have switched over,but there are still areas that haven't......how was the switchover for you?

Our signal comes from the Emley Moor transmitter,which is in West Yorkshire

I think we were one of the first to go over.   It was a bit of a nightmare at the time, but the issue here is more to do with conflicting signals from Wales and Winter Hill.

I had to do a retune last week to update some channels and now all Im getting is BBC Wales etc etc.  It took me the best part of a whole day last time to manually tune in the correct stations on the TV's....  and its not something Ive yet got around to sorting this time...  so for now, everything is coming from Wales again :(
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:04:02 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 07:19:41 PM »

There needs to be some sort of facility in the tuners to show which transmitters are within range and then, if required, limit which are included in the scan.
But there isn't.  :'(
We get signals from several, and it gets worse as our main one (Crystal Palace) will be the last to increase power so others are intruding big-time. None are particularly close apart from a couple of infill ones so we need an aerial amp so pick up all sorts of dross depending on weather conditions.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 07:21:48 PM »

I've just retuned mine before the 6 o'clock news. What a breeze. Just set the little box back to manufacturers settings and did an automatic re-tune. All the channels that I use are in correct order, well there is only five.
I am also on the Emley Moor transmitter, I have line of sight of it so a wet piece of string does for an Ariel. I'm only joking techies, I know it's not possible.  :D The only thing was I had to change the ratio from 4:3 to 6:3 or what ever it is now.
All done 'till they change it again.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 05:03:59 PM »

We have only one problem. Every evening at 1942 hours, and without fail, the signal breaks up for some 5 seconds across all channels.

Hi TD,

Has it always been exactly 1942, or could the time have gradually changed over the months?   I'm just thinking that right now, that could easily be the sort of time at which the street lights are turned on....

Just a thought.
- 7LM

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 05:10:49 PM »

Hello, 7LM .........the idea of street lamps had crossed my mind at one stage, but the breakup occurs on the nose at 1942...you can set your clock by it. And that is why I will be watching with interest at the end of October clock change....will the breakup stay put or come back an hour.

It is interesting to see that others have a similar experience....albeit in different regions and at different times to me.
Pages: [1] 2 3