Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Old TVs post DSO  (Read 7728 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Old TVs post DSO
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 09:02:44 PM »

b*cat has totally lost interest in television.

Now that there is no longer an analogue signal available at "The Cattery", he has given up on television entirely and has told the "BBC Tax Collectors" to (effectively) go and boil their heads. :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 10:41:12 PM »

go and boil their heads

Very nice with bearnaise sauce, so I've heard. :)
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 11:36:50 PM »

b*cat has totally lost interest in television.

Now that there is no longer an analogue signal available at "The Cattery", he has given up on television entirely and has told the "BBC Tax Collectors" to (effectively) go and boil their heads. :)

I hope you have a big fierce and bitey dog among your circle of friends, you'll need him to chase away the postmen (yes, plural) delivering an endless stream of ever more threatening letters from TV licensing.   I hear rumour that they don't really understand the concept of 'not having a TV' .    ::)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 03:29:32 AM »

. . . an endless stream of ever more threatening letters from TV licensing.   I hear rumour that they don't really understand the concept of 'not having a TV' .    ::)

It's already started. They sent me an acknowledgement of my formal declaration :) and, since that, a mindless, downright arrogant & obnoxious missive stating that I am guilty of a criminal offence. >:(

A certain subsidiary company of the BBC is going to end up with a severe case of "egg on face", plus having to make an unreserved apology in an open court of English law and to pay all costs incurred. ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 07:39:43 AM »

I had a lot of grief from TV Licensing after my sister died. I informed them that her home was unoccupied of course, but a few months later I received one of those threatening red-edged letters, which for a weak person would have been truly terrifying. They behave as though they're the security services chasing terrorists, not just money collectors for the BBC.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 08:38:56 AM »

In my case, the grief arose from the fact that, for historical reasons, the licence is in my other half's name (different surname too).  So for many years, each time I bought a TV or freeview box, the retailer would pass on my details (as they are required to do), they would fail to find a licence in my name at the address, and the threatening letters would start arriving.   I was told by some that the best thing to do was to give the retailers a false name & address, but I refused to do so on principle.

Come to think of it, I've actually bought quite a few TV reception devices online in the past year or so, and haven't had  nasty letters (well none from TV licensing, at least).  I wonder if the online retailers have to pass on customer details to TV licensing the same way High Street shops do?   Or, dare I hope... have TV licensing finally given up on me?

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 02:29:48 PM »

I have an old TV in our office computer room   ;).

We have one of the first Panasonic TCU20... STB (we paid £100 for it),  that's got a RF output but there is a problem with there software so all the channels are mixed up and some of the channels are missing.
Panasonic have told me they do not transmit the software update as it's too old, they have been exchanging them in the last few years but I am still trying to find out before I get a new STB with RF out.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything