Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do I have Netgear problems?  (Read 7940 times)

Raide UK

Re: Do I have Netgear problems?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 03:15:16 PM »

I will keep you all up to date :) Seems to be syncing ok now. Will check to see if it syncs early tomorrow too. I did notice it was dropping out over night, so I will monitor that too.

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 03:26:24 PM »

What sort of Linksys router is it?

I'm just wondering here - Netgear and Linksys have problems on interleaved (or so it appears) on your line. Anyone else thinking AR7?

Edit - yes I know that the v3 doesn't have the AR7 but are we sure that it is a v3?

Raide UK

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 03:29:54 PM »

WAG354G v2. I was using my Netgear before but it seems to have gone funny on me. It no longer networks *laughs* Thats another problem, but my Linksys "Seems" to be working ok at the moment.

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2007, 03:37:55 PM »

Yeah that Linksys uses the AR7 chipset. Do you think you could take a good look at the Netgear to see if it really is a v3 please?

Edit - you see I asked some questions yesterday and it appears that the AR7 "problem" only occurs on interleaved lines. As an aside : Chris - you need to be aware of that as you will be on interleaved by default with Be so the DG834 you have might not be a good backup for the BeBox.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 03:40:35 PM by rizla »

Raide UK

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2007, 03:39:36 PM »

Sure, one second. Says "DG834G v3" on the bottom.

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2007, 03:42:12 PM »

Ah well that blows that theory out the window :D

Edit - although I have to say the DG834GT UKO supplied me is most certainly not good at holding sync on an interleaved line, so perhaps there's an issue there. On Be my connection (fastpath) was up for weeks on end. On UKO its dropping sync at least 3 times a day with the same noise margin. If the kids weren't on half term I'd mess about with the Speedtouch - a job for next week I think.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 03:52:16 PM by rizla »

Raide UK

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2007, 03:45:04 PM »

I am using the Linksys router atm, is that the one that has problems with Interleaving? If so, do you think having it off may solve my problems? It may mean sitting and waiting to see what happens.

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2007, 03:50:04 PM »

Your line shouldn't have interleaving on - not at 8Mbps as there is simply no need. Interleaving is quite a complex task and I know from personal experience that the ST780WL which Be supply runs noticeably hotter the greater the interleaving depth. I guess that as with anything else, increasing complexity causes more failure modes.

Edit - your Linksys router has the AR7 chipset which Zen are complaining about so yes it's entirely possible that interleaving may be the issue.

Raide UK

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2007, 03:57:20 PM »

Ahh, interesting. Thanks all, I will keep my eyes on my connection for a while and see if it gets it sorted or not  ::)

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2007, 04:00:08 PM »

Have you been in contact with Demon about this recently? They must have put in a request for you to move to fastpath rather than interleaved you see - its not a change which should happen "randomly" really.

Raide UK

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2007, 04:08:59 PM »

I did do some hunting around to find out about Interleaving and I did phone Demon to ask them if they could. They said they would pass it on to the right department and they would be in contact. I guess that means that they have done it. If it sorts out the problem then I will not have to go through the issue of finding a new provider etc.

Interleaving was the only thing that I was unsure about and a few people had said that it could cause problems. I told Demon to change it just so I could narrow down the possible options.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything