Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do I have Netgear problems?  (Read 7939 times)

Raide UK

Do I have Netgear problems?
« on: October 18, 2007, 09:24:06 AM »

Helo all.

First time on these boards and I start with a problem  ;D

I have a Netgear DG8343G v3 Modem/Router and my ISP is Demon. I have had my ISP for a good number of years now and the Netgear is a few months old now. My modem seems to takes ages to sync up in the morning. It can be hours on some days. Once it connects my speed is fine and I don't seemt o drop any connections. I start a new job at the end of the month and it is heavily internet based so I need my Broadband perfect. During the evening it can sync within 30 seconds. Any suggestions?

Port   Status   TxPkts   RxPkts   Collisions   Tx B/s   Rx B/s   Up Time
WAN   PPPoA              989       1718    0          16        48        04:55:26
LAN   10M/100M       1539   1276   0   28   10   09:34:49
WLAN   11M/54M   507   0   0   5   0   09:34:40

ADSL Link             Downstream       Upstream
Connection Speed   7616 kbps   448 kbps
Line Attenuation   18 db               5 db
Noise Margin        16 db                 20 db

If you need any more details just let me know :)

Barrie.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Do I have Netgear problems?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 10:00:28 AM »

Hi Barrie and welcome.

You seem to have a very good line judging by your stats, so you really shouldn't have sync problems. The only thing which comes to mind is that maybe the router isn't configured correctly. The things you could look at are:

VPI/VCI should be 0/38
Encapsulation PPPoA
Modulation G.992.1 Annex A (often called G.DMT)

As routers are designed to be left running 24/7 it might be worth doing that rather than switching on/off several times a day. The power consumption is very low.
  Eric

Raide UK

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 10:05:47 AM »

Thank you for the quick reply. I usually leave the router on all of the time but the house I am currently in has an electric card setup. If I loose power for what ever reason, that is when I end up with the router off. All of the settings you mentioned seem to be ok apart from the Modulation...cannot seem to spot that setting once I log into my router.

It has been fine for ages and in the last few weeks I get this problem. I am unsure if this is  BT issue, and ISP issue or just me being stupid. I have been through tech support so much I don't know where to head next   ::)

Raide UK

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 06:03:53 PM »

Had an update from my ISP. BT said the line is fine and they could not find any problems.  :-\ I thought that would be their answer. They mentioned I should check for cable issues and make sure that I am not getting any interference. Any suggestions on what I should look for or things that could be the problem?

I think this topic has moved away from my initial questions in regards to my Netgear router, so if a mod wishes to move it, please do so  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 07:07:11 PM »

There's a lot of information about diagnosing noise problems at http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm .
  Eric

Raide UK

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 04:25:39 PM »

I have checked through those tips and followed them to make sure. My router spent all day trying to sync today and a little after 4pm it connected with no problems. It is starting to annoy me as I am unsure if a change of ISP will rectify the problem.

I cannot think of anything that would give me problems and the stats on my router do not really point to anything that will help me. I am stuck  :(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 06:57:28 PM »

A change of ISP isn't going to make any difference to how your router connects with the exchange. To be honest I'm completely baffled. Perhaps the router has developed a fault, so can you try a different router?
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 03:55:53 PM »

A change of router is worth a shot..  however what I find weird is that its during the day that the router has problems trying to sync - its normally the other way round.

Im wondering theres not anything nearby your home (during work hours) that could be causing a lot of interference of the signal>
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Raide UK

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 03:45:22 PM »

I have tried over the weekend to hunt around and see if anything is cauasing a problem. I have relocated my router away from my PC so no of the electrics could cause a problem. Tried my Linksys router and it still has the same issue. What kind of things could cause interferance?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »

>> What kind of things could cause interferance?

Unfortunately the list is practically endless. :/
Common ones are treadmills, microwaves, outdoor lights, street lights, xmas tree lights, heating/immersion timers
Also radio hams (heard someone even report once it was from a local taxi firm), someone on these forums had problems for months then found it was his stereo was faulty and taking out adsl from several local houses.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 10:07:28 AM »

Quickest way to test if the interference (assuming it is that) is inside your property is to pop down to PC World (yes really) and buy an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) which will run your PC and router. Take it home, charge it up, connect PC and router and then turn your power off entirely at the fusebox. The PC and router will still be powered so it rules out everything else in your house. Obviously do this test when you are having problems.

Then take the UPS back to PC World, tell them you don't want it and get your money back. Bit naughty but the only other option is to borrow one - up to you :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 10:33:30 AM »

Another tip to try to help locate the source that sometimes works,  is using a portable AM radio in between stations somewhere around 1400 KHz.
-----

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 11:42:29 AM »

I don't want to overly complicate matters but there are two types of interference that could be the problem. I've simplified a little (hopefully?) :

a) radiated - something is causing RF (radio frequency) transmissions to take place where they shouldn't. The radio trick kitz mentions might be useful here. I'm not 100% about the frequency she's chosen but I'll defer to her here as I've had little to do with ADSL (rather than ADSL2+) in the last year or so. It may be of limited use anyway - eg the equipment in my house which causes me minor problems radiates interference at about 2.1Mhz (2100kHz) and is undetectable 3 feet away. It's not only radiated interference that it causes though;

b) conducted - this is where the interference is conducted along wiring (your 240V mains wiring usually). The equipment causing the interference is introducing the interference from the power supply (which will almost invariably be switched mode these days) within the equipment. This doesn't necessarily mean that the equipment is faulty but rather that the designer didn't pay too much attention to minimising interference. The usual suspects are what I refer to as "wall warts" - you'll all have some, they are the hideous big black (usually) power supplies that are in the shape of a plug. They are usually cheap as chips and almost all of them induce noise into the mains. In my case the equipment that radiates also has conducted interference which is the part which causes the issues - I suspect if the location of the master socket was elsewhere I'd be OK but the hassle of moving it outweighs the gain :)

Feel free to ignore the next bit if it flies over your heads:

You can also have a combination of both. eg I put in CAT6e cabling a few months ago. Each pair is individually screened, then all four pairs have an overall screen and there is a centre conductor in the cable. I didn't bother earthing the centre conductor (bad bad rizla) as this was my first experience of terminating/crimping CAT6e and all seemed well. Then I noticed interference on a CCTV camera* - wavy lines. Then I noticed that the ADSL had dropped/resync'd at 16Mbps. It was in fact the equipment mentioned in a) radiating interference which was picked up by the centre conductor and then re-radiated to the telephone line (and CCTV cabling) at one point around the back of the house. Earthing the conductor stopped that dead. I'm comfortable doing all this as I used to design radar systems so I can track it down (usually).

In short interference is a bloody nightmare for the average ADSL user.

*we have a couple of CCTV cameras - they use less power than security lighting and are more of a deterrent to the scroats off the local council estate.

Raide UK

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 02:11:37 PM »

Thanks for the tips all. I am going through them now to try and check the problem. Something I had just noticed is when I log into my router (Linksys) DSL Path Mode used to say Interleaved....now it says Fast....any ideas if interleaving can make the problem worse or better?

My line stats have also changed slightly.

Downstream Rate:     8128 Kbps       
    Upstream Rate:     448 Kbps       
    Downstream Margin:     6 db       
    Upstream Margin:     26 db       
    Downstream Line Attenuation:     18       
    Upstream Line Attenuation:     10

Ghost in the Machine? or just me hoping...

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 03:11:12 PM »

Something's been done. Interleaving has been taken off, which is why your router is now saying Fast path.

My netgear didn't like Interleaving being enabled much, come to think of it. I haven't got time to reply properly now because I'm rushing out, but hopefully things may work a bit better now? Although I have to admit mine didn't really have problems syncing at all.

Here's hoping anyway :)
Chris
Pages: [1] 2