Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dual booting Windows 7 with Vista  (Read 6574 times)

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
Dual booting Windows 7 with Vista
« on: September 10, 2011, 08:38:11 AM »

I would like to have a dual boot up configuration on my other PC, at the moment it has Vista Home Basic on it and I want to install Windows 7 Home Premium on a new hard drive that I've just bought.

What I'm wondering is do I need to disconnect the current Vista installation after plugging in the new hard drive in order for Windows to recognise the 2 operating systems ?

I know that in a dual-boot system, Windows gives you an option of which operating system to choose.

Alternatively do I have the 2 hard drives connected up and then just select the new unformatted drive to have Windows 7 install on ?

Thanks for any advice.

Mike

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Dual booting Windows 7 with Vista
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 01:34:57 PM »

in a dual-boot system, Windows gives you an option of which operating system to choose.
do I have the 2 hard drives connected up and then just select the new unformatted drive to have Windows 7 install on ?

If you WANT statement 1 (as opposed to playing with BIOS boot priorities or pulling cables)
then yes, statement 2 is the way to do it.

You'll need to boot from the CD to do a "fresh" (custom) install as inserting it while running Vista will default to an upgrade.

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 02:18:33 PM »

Thanks for replying HPsauce.

I have never run a dual-boot system before hence my query.

So I should just leave both the hard drives plugged in and then make sure that I choose the new unformatted drive to install Windows 7 on ?
Mike

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 04:07:47 PM »

I have only ever installed dual-boot systems on the same drive (separate partitions) but it should not matter if all the drives are connected provided you install to the correct drive and not overwrite your original drive.
A how to tutorial can be found here:-
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_vista_and_windows_7_vista_installed_first.htm

As for choosing which OS to boot into, see using "EasyBCD" in the link below and the last but one post.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=1510.0

Then go to the bottom of the page on this link and download the free version and then install it onto the C: drive, "Vista installation" and configure it from there.
"It can only be installed on the one "C" drive."
http://download.cnet.com/EasyBCD/3000-2094_4-10556865.html

Basically, EasyBCD detects your operating systems then gives you the option of which one to boot in to as the default, or to interrupt the boot up to chose the opposite operating system "the interrupt time can also be set in EasyBCD"

Edit

Just a thought and eventually if you can, will you please let me know the answer!

With dual-booting XP and Vista it loses the restore points "which is a known fact"
I am wondering if duel-booting "Vista and Windows 7" has the same result.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=1767.0

Unfortunately my systems all have XP and am unable to test vista and windows7.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 04:29:11 PM by oldfogy »

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 06:00:12 PM »

oldfogy, thanks for the links.

I've decided to use EasyBCD as it saves me having to mess about with the boot settings.
Mike

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 07:39:54 PM »

You don't really need EasyBCD.

The Restore Points issue is only relevant for "earlier" versions mixed with Vista or W7, so NOT you.
See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 08:54:26 PM »

1. You don't really need EasyBCD.

2. The Restore Points issue is only relevant for "earlier" versions mixed with Vista or W7, so NOT you.
See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185
1. No I agree it's not a absolute necessity, but it's quicker and easier to be able to change boot OS from a shortcut icon on the desktop, sooner than possibly missing the option during boot-up or having to go to the setting within System Properties.

2. Thanks, yes Windows XP would be classed as a "earlier version"

I've decided to use EasyBCD as it saves me having to mess about with the boot settings.
Under the "Useful Utilities" in EasyBCD also instal "iReboot" which is a utility you can chose just to re-boot into the other program without having to change any settings and also means not having to sit at the computer during boot up.
(The setting is not saved, so reverts back to your normal re-boot option afterwards)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 09:10:39 PM »

it's quicker and easier to be able to change boot OS from a shortcut icon on the desktop,
Absolutely, as long as you're comfortable using such tools.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 11:05:44 PM »

I would like to have a dual boot up configuration on my other PC, at the moment it has Vista Home Basic on it and I want to install Windows 7
Not sure how far you have got to, but the next thing you may notice is the email client is different in both Vista and Windows 7, but all is not lost if you want to to have both of your programs with a "similar email" client!

The trick is to install and run "Windows Mail" instead of Windows Live.
The link below to mgmcc's (Mike's) site explains it better than I could try and explain, along with the appropriate link.
http://mgmcc.forumotion.net/t324-install-windows-mail-in-windows-7

Although what I try to do on my network is just to use one particular computer for emailing, that way all the emails are in one place.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 09:22:32 AM »

the email client is different in both Vista and Windows 7
Being a bit pedantic there isn't one at all in W7. 8)
Windows Mail (which replaced Outlook Express) was dropped after Vista but, as noted in the linked thread, can be used if you like it.

Windows Live Mail (free download from MS) is OK though the latest version has some oddities regarding attachments - it's pushing you towards storing them "in the cloud" and has conflicts with some other packages such as Picasa.

Personally I use both Live Mail and Outlook, the "-1" versions of both; Live Mail 2009 and Outlook 2007.
You can download the -1 version of Live Mail by telling MS you want the version for XP.  ;)