Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Letters In Office 2003  (Read 4020 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Letters In Office 2003
« on: July 20, 2011, 10:36:58 AM »

Whenever I use Office 2003 to type a letter my address always appears at the bottom centre of the page, no matter where I specify.

I would like to place my address at the top right but the letter wizard always puts it bottom cetre, can any tell me where I am going wrong please?

Peter

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Letters In Office 2003
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 05:57:09 PM »

My first thought is that you may be placing the address in the footer section (as in Header and Footer)

If this is within a template that you have made, then you need to re-open the template and re-position the information.

To open the template, close any other document, then select to open a document but don't forget to change the type of document to that of your template then just navigate to either the personal template or to the default normal.dot document.

To create a personalised default page in MS Word you need to open the file called “normal.dot”

First of all you need to select “Show hidden files and folders”
Open "My Computer", Select “Tools”, followed by, “Folder options”, then “View”, and then select, “Show hidden files and folders”

1. Open word.

2. Close the page that opens by default.

3. From File, select “Open”
    You then need to navigate to where the “normal.dot” file is stored.
    Don’t forget to change the type of files to be shown, in “Files of Types” to (.dot)
    The normal .dot file can usually be found in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME HERE\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\normal.dot
    Don't forget you need to replace "YOUR NAME HERE" with the name of your default folder.

4. Once opened carry out any alterations.

5.  Select “Save” (not save as)

6. Select "Close"

7. Re-open MS Word, word should now open with the new default template and open with the changes that you created.

If you need a blank sheet, simply delete any information being shown and carry on as normal.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 09:20:03 PM by oldfogy »

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 08:57:56 PM »

'Show hidden files and folders alreadt ticked.'

I'm lost on the rest with 'Close the open page.'  If I close that Word shuts down. :(

Can't find 'Files of type' :no:

Peter

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 09:29:44 PM »

'Show hidden files and folders alreadt ticked.'

I'm lost on the rest with 'Close the open page.'  If I close that Word shuts down. :(

Can't find 'Files of type' :no:

Peter

If I close that Word shuts down
You may be selecting "Exit" instead of Close from the "File" menu.

Can't find 'Files of type
It's in the drop-down menu "after" you select Open "File Types"

I have tidied-up my post above, maybe it will make it a little clearer.

You can also try making your own default page then select "Save" but don't forget to change the saved document as a .dot document in the drop-down menu "after" you select Open "File Types"

And save to the default folder in:
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME HERE\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\normal.dot

Hidden files can be troublesome, so you may get a message saying the file you are trying to save "Already exists"
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 09:37:26 PM by oldfogy »

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 12:02:32 PM »

The normal.dot template is the default template for Word.
Although it may be modified, I would not do so for various reasons.
It would be easier just to create your own template or saved document.

The easiest method is to open Word. Setup the document as you wish and "Save as" something like "Letterhead".
Now each time you wish to send a letter, open the "Letterhead" document, complete the letter and then save as something different to "Letterhead".

exo

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 04:24:30 PM »

Sorry for the delay folks, been busywriting letters, one to my MP and one to a friend written with my old fountain pen, what a useful instrument that is! 8)

Thank you oldun first, I was indeed exiting instead of closing the page, lesson learned.

exo, I have now made my own template which I may need to teak for future letters, worked ok for MP's letter anyway.

Many thanks again for your help gentlemen.

Peter

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 05:22:17 PM »

The normal.dot template is the default template for Word.
Although it may be modified, I would not do so for various reasons.
It would be easier just to create your own template or saved document.

The easiest method is to open Word. Setup the document as you wish and "Save as" something like "Letterhead".
Now each time you wish to send a letter, open the "Letterhead" document, complete the letter and then save as something different to "Letterhead".

exo
I wouldn't entirely disagree with you, except that I am a lazy person who the majority of the times I open word I don't have to do anything except add the date (I don't like to use the auto-date for saving purposes)
So for me it's a ideal situation and also I never have to remember to "Save As" instead of just saving with the name I want to save it as.

Whereas on the occasion I don't need my letter head I can either just open a blank page or simply delete the letterheading text and start from fresh.

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 08:28:21 PM »

No problem OF, we all do things differently for the same result.  :)

exo

anything