Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spreading the Broadband word  (Read 4544 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Spreading the Broadband word
« on: June 12, 2011, 07:15:01 PM »

Hello everybody,

I was fortunate to have a neighbour in Jeremy Hunt’s constituency who arranged a clinic meeting with him on broadband matters. Afterwards we wrote a general summary for him but we would like to spread the word at least amongst all the MPs who spoke in Rory Stewart’s debate on 19 May 2011 which are listed below.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201011/cmhansrd/cm110519/debtext/110519-0003.htm#11051950001435

We understand that it’s much better to get local constituents to write to their MPs. We would be very pleased if any of you would like to help; perhaps you could PM me with an e-mail address so I can send the PDF to you?

Many thanks in anticipation,
Walter

Rory Stewart (Penrith and The Border)

Julian Smith (Skipton and Ripon)

Andrew Jones (Harrogate and Knaresborough)

Graham Jones (Hyndburn)

Ian Lucas (Wrexham)

John Woodcock (Barrow and Furness)

Dr Andrew Murrison (South West Wiltshire)

Eric Joyce (Falkirk)

Tim Farron (Westmorland and Lonsdale)

Andrea Leadsom (South Northamptonshire)

Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East)

Andrew Stephenson (Pendle)

Andrew Griffiths (Burton)

Richard Graham (Gloucester)

Eric Ollerenshaw (Lancaster and Fleetwood)

Dr Phillip Lee (Bracknell)

Alun Cairns (Vale of Glamorgan)

Andrew Bingham (High Peak)

Sir Alan Beith (Berwick-upon-Tweed)

Duncan Hames (Chippenham)

Mr David Nuttall (Bury North)

Mr Mark Williams (Ceredigion) (LD)

Alun Cairns (Vale of Glamorgan)

Simon Hart (Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire)

Mel Stride (Central Devon)

Caroline Nokes (Romsey and Southampton North)

Anne Marie Morris (Newton Abbot)

Tessa Munt (Wells)

Ian Lucas (Wrexham)

Chi Onwurah (Newcastle upon Tyne Central)

Ian Mearns (Gateshead)

Dr Thérèse Coffey (Suffolk Coastal)

Jesse Norman (Hereford and South Herefordshire)

John Thurso (Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross)

Dr Huppert (Cambridge)

Jon Cruddas (Dagenham and Rainham)

Ainsworth (Coventry North East)

Keith Vaz (Leicester East)

Mark Tami (Alyn and Deeside)

George Freeman (Mid Norfolk)

Matthew Hancock (West Suffolk)

Andrew Bridgen (North West Leicestershire)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: Spreading the Broadband word
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 09:46:53 PM »

My MP is not on the list, shame as he is also a minister.

It has more effect if you turn up to their surgery and discuss the issue face to face and even better if you can get friends and relatives to form a queue and all ask the same sort of question one by one.

writetothem.com
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:50:10 PM by BritBrat »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 07:12:00 AM »

Tbh I think all this contacting your MP about the pitfalls of the UK's Broadband status is a waste of time..I contacted my MP (Clive Betts) to ask when my local exchange(and his) was going to be upgraded for fftc...this was his reply dated 11 March 2011

Dear xxxxxx xxxxxxxxx

Further to my email below, I have written to BT asking what the situation is with regard to the upgrade of the exchange.

However, there is a separate initiative in South Yorkshire for providing broadband by fibre optic cable called Digital Region South Yorkshire. This is a project that was started by the Yorkshire Development Agency, Yorkshire Forward to provide in partnership with the then Labour Government, councils in South Yorkshire and new and existing local internet service providers a superfast broadband internet service in South Yorkshire.

According to the information on their website your local exchange is due to be upgraded in October of this year and they claim that the initial speed available will be 25MB. Further information can be found at http://www.digitalregion.co.uk/

I hope this information is useful and I will be in contact again once I have heard from BT, but please do not hesitate to contact me in the meantime if you have any further questions on this or any other issue.

Regards

Clive Betts MP

Heard nothing since.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 07:16:32 AM »

initial speed available will be 25MB

Technically, that's nonsense of course, you don't measure speed in megabytes. I presume he meant Mb/s (megabits per second).
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 07:39:23 AM »

There is no sign of my exchange(Attercliffe)being upgrade,yet when I visit the digital region site and put in my postcode it tells me I will be able to get superfast fibre broadband in Oct 2011..... :shrug2:

I do know that cables have been laid on the main road at the entrance to our estate,but no sign of those bigger fftc street cabinets as of yet

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 07:47:07 AM »

@ UncleUB >> Tbh I think all this contacting your MP about the pitfalls of the UK's Broadband status is a waste of time.. <<

Sorry, but if everybody thought that way then people power wouldn't count for much. It's high time that voices were raised, not just on this subject. Why should we just like it or lump it?
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 07:56:11 AM »

@ UncleUB >> Tbh I think all this contacting your MP about the pitfalls of the UK's Broadband status is a waste of time.. <<

Sorry, but if everybody thought that way then people power wouldn't count for much. It's high time that voices were raised, not just on this subject. Why should we just like it or lump it?

Don't get me wrong Colin,I'm at the front of the queue in trying to get things changed,currently active with the FairFuel campaign,38 degrees campaign about protecting the NHS,The Wood land Trust campaign to save our forests etc,etc etc.

But most of the time sadly the government just doesn't listen.

So please don't say I don't raise my voice and don't complain....I do,and tbh if everyone complained as much as I do do then perhaps the government would take notice.
The trouble is there are far too many people who just can't be bothered,yet these that can't be bothered are the first to have a moan about things

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 08:08:10 AM »

@ SS That is why I have been doing just a little bit more than contacting my MP !!!!!!!!!!

@ Uncy,

I'm assuming that a city the size of Sheffield has been omitted by BT precisely because of the SYDR. Perhaps one reason for the delay might be the Sub Loop Unbundling Charge dispute between SYDR and BT Openreach. Some might suggest that a charge of £127.61 for EVERY twisted pair being cut is a tad avaricious given that I believe there are about 500,000 lines. I.e. BT expect to cream off a mere £63 million just for the connection and then either £11.47 p.a. for a shared line where BT obtain additional line rental and call charges from the consumer as well, or £93.96 p.a. for the fully isolated D side pair where SYDR will obtain the call charges.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 08:33:21 AM »

@ Uncy,

I'm assuming that a city the size of Sheffield has been omitted by BT precisely because of the SYDR.

Hi Walter  :)

There are some exchanges in Sheffield that already have fftc enabled,my sisters exchange(Mosborough) is one that is up and running

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 08:38:02 AM »

Maybe I should have paragraphed my post better UncleUB.

I wasn't suggesting for one minute that you personally were not doing any sort of campaigning. The statement that I did highlight is typical of the public in many cases.

I too do my bit with the campaigns that I feel worthy of my efforts. But I do the campaigning with the groups who are interested and not shout about it where no impression would be made.

This is not a dig at you Walter or anyone else in person.

As this is an open forum I am merely expressing my thoughts as I read the posts.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 08:48:27 AM »

Maybe I should have paragraphed my post better UncleUB.

I wasn't suggesting for one minute that you personally were not doing any sort of campaigning. The statement that I did highlight is typical of the public in many cases.

I know that Colin...no offence taken on my part  :friends:

The point you have made is my sentiment too.Too many sat on the fence doing nothing (but moan).

Take energy prices/companies for instance..We saw last week Scottish Power announce increases of 19% for gas and 10% for electricity.I know it would ever happen but if most of their 2.5 million customers jammed their switchboard Monday morning with the intent of leaving them.....

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 02:38:38 PM »

That is what it needs uncy, well you wont get everyone ringng up but what you could get is a lot of people with net access all agreeing to switch at the same time to another company, it may not be the best move for everyone but looking for a longer effect it could make a big change in the future.

A company with a 20% price hike lose 50% of its customers I am sure would really give it a shock.

It could also be done on petrol garages, infact it would be very easy to boycot a brand for a month or two.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 02:41:34 PM by BritBrat »