Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ScotDSL (Unlimited no caps 8Mb) Latency on EA Gaming Server  (Read 3154 times)

mart9012

• Just arrived
ScotDSL (Unlimited no caps 8Mb) Latency on EA Gaming Server
« on: October 06, 2007, 02:54:50 AM »

After falling foul of Tiscalis fair use policy I found an ISP that claims an Max 8Mb  service with no caps, no FUP, no throttling... so I assume it comes down to contention!

Im having problems with latency.. On game servers im getting kicked by punkbuster for having a far too high ping rate.  I complained to the ISP and they looked into resulting in great improvements but unfortuately its got worse than ever tonight.  I use WinMTR to do a test to Google which comes back averaging 30 to 60m/s.. good i though, but on the EA server site im averaging 600 to 800 m/s!

I only live 800 m from the exchange and wouldn't say my connection is particularly quick averaging only 2Mb in reality.  My friend on Virgin / Blueyonder cable 4 M/b service can run two machines at a time and the connection flies much much faster.  No cable out here unfortunately!!

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
Re: ScotDSL (Unlimited no caps 8Mb) Latency on EA Gaming Server
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 08:28:13 AM »

Hi Mart, nice to see you

If Winmtr pings google so quickly then i'd say there wasnt a problem with your machine when 'idle'.

Can you stick the EA games server address into Winmtr to check the speed??  if it comes back below 60ms then its a problem with your PC when under load (ie running a game).  if it comes back 600+ms then you should be able look at the 'hops' in Winmtr and see exactly where the bottleneck is between you and the game server.

Have a look and let us know.

Pwigg
Paul

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 01:33:32 PM »

Hi

A bit of digging shows that Scotdsl would appear to be a EurISP/njpservices reseller (njpservices = Fast4).
In fact if you look at fast4 and scotdsl you'll see that a lot of the content appears to be the same too.

It certainly does appear that scotdsl share the same service provision as Fast4 and that EurISP could be the root cause.

Theres some info which may help enlighten you in this thread  - Poor PING rate/lag issue for Fast4 Customers.

:(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 10:26:52 AM »

I wish ISPs would quit with the unlimited MaxDSL no FUP no caps no throttling business. It can't be done AND keep the service level good. Full stop. And the customers who are duped into signing up because they think they're getting a good deal are the ones who suffer. :(
Chris

anything