Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Chit Chat" Verification  (Read 2930 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
"Chit Chat" Verification
« on: May 28, 2011, 03:56:46 PM »

I have removed my thread that had been locked.Perhaps we need clarification as to what can or cannot be started in a thread.But tbh no matter what is posted in some threads certain members seem to want to criticise comments no matter what they are.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: "Chit Chat" Verification
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 04:18:27 PM »

So long as you keep within the forum rules there are no restrictions on subject matter. But some subjects are obviously emotionally loaded and liable to lead to acrimonious argument. It's the nature of an open forum that these disagreements take place from time to time, and I think that TD took the right decision to bring your thread to an end before it turned into a punch-up.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 04:34:15 PM »

I think the word 'punch-up' is a little overstated Eric,but I respect the decision the admin has taken.I just think some comments are aimed at the poster and not at the posters thread.
I myself will always be open to justified criticism and if any 'flash point' arises in a thread due to comments made,as far as I'm concerned the matter is soon forgotten and moved on from  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 04:44:29 PM »

I appreciate your comments, Phil, and I'm happy to forget the subject if everyone else is. :)
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 06:17:21 PM »

Ooooooooo  .....  I perhaps should have kept my remarks to myself, and apologies if I placed anyone in an awkward situation.     The ambiance on here is something that is constant, and makes it a pleasure to visit, and far be it from me to 'rock the boat' .......  What a good job we have such conscientious arbiters on here   ........  even though they do send us to the NC sometimes   ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 09:57:44 PM »

b*cat is unhappy.  :'(

Ever since he decided to make these fora a regular stopping-off point, whilst on his daily rounds, it seemed that all the regular members were thoughtful, kind, happy and pleasant to everyone. I hope it is just a minor aberration.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 10:31:20 PM »

Please don't be unhappy b*cat. People wouldn't be human if there weren't occasional disagreements. No blood was spilt. :)
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 11:13:50 PM »

Please don't be unhappy b*cat. People wouldn't be human if there weren't occasional disagreements. No blood was spilt. :)
Thank you. In that case, I can go to my bed knowing that tomorrow will be another day. :sleep:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »

I have removed my thread that had been locked.Perhaps we need clarification as to what can or cannot be started in a thread.But tbh no matter what is posted in some threads certain members seem to want to criticise comments no matter what they are.

I don't know what your thread was about Uncle, as I didn't have the pleasure of reading it. Howver, I do agree with sometime over-zealous moderation of topics. I had a 'jokey comment' removed from a thread recently. It wasn't in anyway nasty,  just humorous, but somebody actually 'reported it' and it was removed.

Unfortunately, we are at the behest of appointed 'Mods'. As such, with people having different views what might pass as ok to one Mod, may be downright insulting to another.

Of course, there has to be policing or the site would descend into the depths that othe sites have plunged. But I do think there are some very, very 'touchy' long-timers on this forum. I sometimes wonder if they have lived behind closed doors for most of their life.  ???

'Chit chat' is exactly what it says and is going to attract different POV and healthy debate. If we are limited to talking about knitting, fat balls and the days weather, then the thread title should be renamed.

Controversial, probably ...... but it's a public forum not a dictatorship for crying out loud. Chill out a little. ;D

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 10:19:45 AM »

What's wrong with chatting about knitting, blue tits and their fat balls and weather?  :-\
The problem with writing is that the reader(s) cannot see whether the OP has a smile on their face or not. Also what is humor to one reader is offensive to others. The way to avoid conflicts of that nature is to allow very tame humor, which I feel the admin are very good at. The post that raised offense was what appeared to be a curt remark from one member to another member, although I read it quite differently to the offended OP. The way I see it is the Rules of Posting give a very good representation of what is allowed and what is not. If I felt I was under a dictatorship of any kind I would not post here at all. I think admin team do a very good job. That's my two pennyworth.  ;D
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 10:27:12 AM »

I think admin team do a very good job.

I will second that.

We must remember that we are members of this site and thus must abide by the site owners rules(which I also think are very fair).I have been a member here nearly 4 years  :o  ;D and find it a brilliant site in a every aspect.It is a credit to Kitz and to all the admin.moderators who help to keep it running smoothly
Long may it continue  :clap2:

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 10:38:38 AM »

What's wrong with chatting about knitting, blue tits and their fat balls and weather?  :-\The problem with writing is that the reader(s) cannot see whether the OP has a smile on their face or not. Also what is humor to one reader is offensive to others. The way to avoid conflicts of that nature is to allow very tame humor, which I feel the admin are very good at. The post that raised offense was what appeared to be a curt remark from one member to another member, although I read it quite differently to the offended OP. The way I see it is the Rules of Posting give a very good representation of what is allowed and what is not. If I felt I was under a dictatorship of any kind I would not post here at all. I think admin team do a very good job. That's my two pennyworth.  ;D

I never said there was anything wrong SS, are you suggesting I'm belittling anybody who chooses to discuss such topics ?? I find that truly offensive.

Now, of course I'm joking and it proves yours (and mine) point about how the statement is interpreted. It doesn't matter a bat to me what folk talk about, just afford me and others the same courtesy. If one has been a member of this forum for a couple of days, then you would have to be backwards to not realise the type of board it is. Which is why moderation is a must for newcomers to the group, but if two long-standing members have a differing POV, then why should a mod take it upon himsef / herself to decide what is needed to resolve the situation ??? We are all adults and I wouldn't expect Eric to to roll up in my local if I'm having a disagreement with somebody else over a pint.

The easy way is to write how good and right and gracious the Mods are. I agree wholeheartedly for the most part, but even they can get it wrong SS. There's an old adage that says, "Who checks the checkers".

Now don't go getting all fired up about this, I love Kitz and there's a wealth of info to be gained here. It's not a closed-user group though, and people will (and damned well should) have differeing opinions.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 10:54:44 AM »

@ razpag >> I wouldn't expect Eric to to roll up in my local if I'm having a disagreement with somebody else over a pint. <<

I whole heartedly agree, however if you were in Roseway's local it might be a different situation. Not that I am speaking for Roseway.

I'd like to compare this forum to a club rather than a pub. Whilst the topics/threads can be read by anyone the posters must be members. As such the members agree to abide by the rules.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 11:00:25 AM »

We are all adults

That's one of the issues we have to think about, because we aren't all adults. We learnt a long time ago that this forum is used by a number of schools and children's organisations, and it's important to us that they can be confident that this is a safe place where they won't encounter anything which their parents wouldn't want them to see. If that means that we sometimes err on the side of blandness, then I'm afraid that's a consequence of the standards we try to uphold.
  Eric

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 11:04:12 AM »

SS ..... haven't got a clue what the reference to Erics local means. Sorry.

Eric, that's fair play then. Thanks for the constructive feedback.
Pages: [1] 2

anything