Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: AOL - slow speed  (Read 4327 times)

HomerSimpson

• Just arrived
AOL - slow speed
« on: September 30, 2007, 12:14:14 AM »

Note by admin: I have split this topic in two to keep it more managable

Hi All,
I want to put my two pennys worth into the mix regarding AOHell, I am currently paying £17.99 per month for a Platinum connection. I was told by AOL that my line was capable of 5-6Mb. What am actually getting? Around 2.5Mb average, the most I have had was 3.5Mb. I eel that somebody is telling porkies. I checked my local exchange using the link from earlier and that tells me I can get 7.5Mb!! I am not using the supplied Netgear router as I find it crap! I have two sons who connect via wireless and with the Netgear we had allsorts of problems getting connected. I bought a Belkin and have not looked back. Here are a few of the details from the router -
Line rate - Upstream 448Kbps - Downstream 8096kbps
Attainable line rate - Upstream 1256Kbps - Downstream 9600Kbps
Noise Margin - Upstream 26.0dB - Downstream 9.8dB
Line Attenuation - Upstream 13.0dB - Downstream 25.5dB
Output Power - Upstream 19.8dBm - Downstream 11.9dBm
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 11:28:56 AM by mr_chris »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
AOL - slow speed
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 01:17:46 PM »

Hi Homer and welcome.

I don't think you're being told porkies exactly. Your connection speed is 8096 kbps, so you are getting the connection speed which you were told you could get (plus a bit more). Your problem is that your throughput isn't close to what the connection should be capable of. This could be due to congestion in the exchange or at the ISP, or it could be traffic management by the ISP. I presume that AOL do traffic manage, so that could be quite a likely possibility.

The other thing which comes to mind is the MTU setting of your PC. If you're using Windows, then you may need to adjust this for best results.
  Eric

HomerSimpson

• Just arrived
AOL - slow speed
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 03:20:44 PM »

Thanks Eric for the quick reply  :)  I have tried various internet optimisers but no sucess, so I think that it is AOL doing it`s traffic shaping. I have a friend who is on AOL and does download a lot of old TV programs and between the hours of 6pm till 11pm his rate is down to 512Mb. I intend having a go at AOL tommorow, but after the fight I had to get Platinum for £17.99, I think I will have a fight on my hands. >:( Will keep the thread going and let you know how I get on! :lol:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
AOL - slow speed
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 03:43:09 PM »

Good man! :)
  Eric

HomerSimpson

• Just arrived
AOL - slow speed
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 11:26:52 PM »

Just got off AOL Live Help, talking to a technician (AOL`s word) :lol: :lol: Guess what I was told to do to speed up my connection? Yes, the good old delete your temp. internet files, etc According to AOL I am getting 5.5Mb :no: Every speed check I have done shows a maximum of 2.5Mb throughput, no matter what time of day I check. So now I have a call back organised for tomorrow . So we will see what comes of that, I still say that they are traffic shaping.

HomerSimpson

• Just arrived
Re: AOL - slow speed
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 08:13:12 PM »

Well so much for the AOL call back, tech was supposed to ring between 1pm and 3pm. However they never rang till approx 3.15pm, shame then I was out picking up the kids from school. The other thing is though that little chat last night must have done something as when I checked my speed this morning I was getting 6.1Mb :) Even this evening after the normal slow down period I was getting 5Mb. I just hope this lasts, well at least till march next year. Then I think I will vote with my feet and find a new ISP.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: AOL - slow speed
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 08:44:44 PM »

Let's hope it stays that way. :thumbs:
  Eric