Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: MS Partners make 7.5 times as much as MS  (Read 14387 times)

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
Re: MS Partners make 7.5 times as much as MS
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2007, 08:39:08 AM »

It is the only explanation as to why they split the ring mains down the middle of the house.

The idea with ring mains is to distribute the load more evenly. In a domestic situation the kitchen and living room usually create the most load and should be on separate rings, even though they are usually on the same floor. The upstairs/downstairs split is the moronic choice IMHO.

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2007, 08:47:20 AM »

Hmm having two sockets 3 feet away from each other in the same "room" on different ring mains is pretty dumb in my book :D

Our kitchen is on its own ring main now - we had a new kitchen in last year and they had to put a 16A spur in anyway for the microwave so the sparky put it all on its own ring.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2007, 11:02:42 AM »

>> The upstairs/downstairs split is the moronic choice IMHO.

Yeah I see where youre coming from on that.  I actually have 3 (+2 for lighting).  The 3rd one I didnt bother to mention cause that only seems to cover 1/2 of the kitchen ie the cooker, extraction fan, and switch for the combi-boiler and a couple of sockets, but I cant recall which ones it does and doesnt.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2007, 07:28:27 PM »

I've been looking further into Linux media centre possibilities. I have to say that LinuxMCE which I mentioned above probably isn't ready for non-geeks. The Google video was impressive, but it glossed over the many rather difficult configuration requirements. And it's probably over the top - it's not just a media centre, it's a complete home control system for everything including the kitchen sink.

For a straightforward media centre, MythDora looks like the bee's knees to me. (The daft name derives from MythTV, the well-known but difficult software for media centres, and Fedora, the Linux distro it's based on.) MythDora automates the difficult bits, and has excellent documentation for the rest. I'm installing it on a spare PC at the moment, and I'll let you know how it goes.
  Eric

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2007, 07:49:55 PM »

Used to be a no-brainer Eric - KiSS. The evil empire has them now. Anyone who thinks the "evil empire" is Intel or MS needs to get out of the last millenium :P
Pages: 1 2 [3]