Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: CD player for elderly  (Read 28246 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
CD player for elderly
« on: March 29, 2011, 10:28:13 PM »

For reasons I don't really want to go into, I would urgently like to obtain an audio player of some kind for an elderly relative.  Something on which she can play music, talking books, TV sound recordings etc.

There are two challenges here....  first, she is extremely non-techie, even the traditional buttons on an old-fashioned tape player would be unfamiliar.  Secondly, her eyesight has largely failed her recently.  Certainly, anything that depends upon reading from an LCD screen would be out of the question.

I'm discounting MP3 players are as (a) they're far too fiddly, and (b) I can't just stick an MP3 file in the post, as I can with a CD.    I'm assuming CD is the best format, as I already have all that's needed to transcribe any other recording format  to CD and send it to her.  I could also transcribe to cassette tape but it's a lot more effort so, indeed, CD seems the obvious choice.

Any thoughts, folks?  Anybody know of VERY easy to use CD player for the partially-sighted, probably a 'Walkman' of some kind?  Do any other 'out of the box' ideas spring to mind?

It doesn't need to be cheap, though I'd like to avoid remortgaging.   :)

Suggestions appreciated,

7LM

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: CD player for elderly
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 10:35:24 PM »

Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 10:51:22 PM »

What about the RNIB Talking Books service?

Thanks for the link, I'll look into that.

scottiesmum

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »

7LM  ..  is this link useful to you....

http://www.keighleyblind.org/index.php?page=big-button-radios

I'm sorry I don't know where you are in the UK  ...  if this place is not convenient it might be possible to contact them for possible help in your area ..... if you go to the Home page there is a telephone number  ....

hth    :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 11:17:34 AM »

7LM  ..  is this link useful to you....

http://www.keighleyblind.org/index.php?page=big-button-radios

I'm sorry I don't know where you are in the UK  ...  if this place is not convenient it might be possible to contact them for possible help in your area ..... if you go to the Home page there is a telephone number  ....

hth    :)

Thanks again.  One device that turns up via the above link is this...

http://www.blind.org.uk/radios_sdcard.html

...which looks like a step in the right direction.  Unfortunately though, it may mean she'd have to keep a separate SD card for every CD, as combining them all a single card leads to the problem of finding the item she wants to listen to.  But I'll have a think about it.

I've probably drawn a blank from Daisy (sorry, Eric).  Daisy itself seems to be mostly about a recording standard that provides very good bookmarking, and also some extremely expensive devices (£several hundred) for playing said recordings.

The RNIB does promote a Sony CD player for its tactile buttons, but I'm not sure I agree with them...

http://www.rnib.org.uk/shop/Pages/Category.aspx?Category=CD_and_MP3_Players

...having downloaded the user manual from Sony, it seems it has some tiny buttons that would do unexpected things when accidentally pressed (as they surely would be) like change to shuffle mode, or switch from CD to radio.

Thanks to Eric having pointed me at RNIB, I'm also tempted by the 'Boombox' player (also on that RNIB link), if I can satisfy myself that she could cope with plugging in USB pen-drives.  As per the SD cards, it would be dreadfully inefficient to have a separate pen-drive for every CD, but pen-drives and memory cards are so cheap it may actually be worth considering!

Thanks again,

7LM

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 01:55:03 PM »

Hi again,

Just to confirm,  I've ordered one of these....

http://www.rnib.org.uk/shop/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?category=CD_and_MP3_Players&productID=DD4301

The only trouble was delivery would be 7 to 10 days, whereas I'll be visiting the person concerned this weekend, and I really wanted to take it with me.  Fortunately, after a quick phone call, the RNIB were able to offer next-day courier service at a very reasonable cost, so it's all looking quite promising.

I now need to find a source of cheap USB sticks and stock-up, but that problem should be easier to solve, even if I just drive over to the local PC World and see what they've got on the shelves.   You'd think there must be old stocks of (small capacity) sticks going really dirt-cheap somewhere, though?

The main problem I foresee is that I think it's easy to mistakenly attempt to put a USB stick in the wrong way around, but I'm sure I can find a way round that, maybe even just apply a big dab of red paint on one edge of the sticks, and to the unit itself,  for easy identification.

Thanks again for inspiration and pointers, which led me to this device.  This time yesterday I'd no idea where to begin, yet 24 hours later I've got a clear plan of attack, and one that might even meet my deadlines! 

:)
- 7LM

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 03:19:46 PM »

Now that looks really interesting.  :graduate:

We have a similar problem for a very elderly (2 months off 100) poorly-sighted realative who has a "conventional" CD player (with headphones) and several books on CD but just can't get to grips with it.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 12:27:17 PM »

Now that looks really interesting.  :graduate:

We have a similar problem for a very elderly (2 months off 100) poorly-sighted realative who has a "conventional" CD player (with headphones) and several books on CD but just can't get to grips with it.

@HP, here's initial impressions...

Nice looking, and reasonably well built, except that the foil speaker cones are exposed.  That may leave scope for a seriously blind person plunging a finger through a speaker cone, though it's a risk I'm content to live with.  It doesn't come with headphones, though there's a socket for them, I'll be buying some this afternoon.

Sound quality for spoken recordings probably  exceeds my expectations, though I've not tried it with music yet.  Spoken tracks, which are the main reason I wanted it, sound fine, and plenty loud enough to be heard over the din of kettles and saucepans in my kitchen (I've just been making lunch).

The biggest drawback (which I knew before I bought it) is the only navigational control is pause/play, skip forward or back one complete track, and skip back to first track.  That would annoy me, but probably won't worry the person I've bought it for.  If you switch it off & on, it resumes at the start of the track it was playing.

Battery use would be limited as current draw is about 130mA, constant - regardless of play or pause.  I suspect that translates to about 10 to 15 hours from AA cells so it would probably kill the batteries if accidentally left on overnight.  But it does of course come with it's own AC adapter.

Bonnie

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 04:11:43 AM »

I recommend the Muji wall-mounted CD player.  I got one for my mom, who has dementia.  She only needs to tug on a cord (which doubles as the power cord) to start the CD.  The aides at her nursing home change the CD's for her as I mounted it up high on the wall so she could not change the volume (which is on the top).  I just set the volume to a reasonable level and posted a card that says "to hear music, tug gently on the cord."  No buttons or dials.  When the CD is over, it shuts off.  It is not cheap, but I got one on e-bay for about half the price.  I did not get the model with the USB port or AM/FM radio.  Just the CD player.  My mom's face lit up when she was able to play her favorite music.