Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: bthomehub  (Read 11512 times)

Indian Telecom

• Just arrived
bthomehub
« on: September 21, 2007, 12:50:27 PM »

Hello
I'm new to Kitz & hoping you can help me with a real headache of a problem with the bthomehub.
Worked fine for the first 2 weeks, but the last 4 its got steadily worse, My computer will not connect me to the hub manager, I've reinstalled the hub 3 times. reset it to default.  I can not connect to the bthomehub webpage because out of 66 ports scanned I only have 4 open, I have emailed bt 2 times, had no reply yet. I can get some webpages up but most return an error of server not found or dns, this i think is due to the ports being closed. I am at a loss how to fix this. Hope some one can help

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: bthomehub
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 01:34:51 PM »

Hi and welcome.

First of all, I've moved your thread into the Broadband Hardware section, which is probably more appropriate for your problem.

If you can elaborate on the ports blocked i.e. how you scanned, what software or website you used and what ports it found that were open, that would be useful. I don't think it's related to your problem though, I think your problem is to do with a dodgy home hub OR a firewall or other software issue on your PC.

If you do have a firewall on your PC e.g. Zonealarm, Norton Internet Security, McAfee Personal Firewall, etc... you could try disabling it momentarily and trying the web again. If it works fine you know at least what the issue is.

Don't worry about disabling firewall on your PC if you have a router (like the home hub) - this acts as a firewall in its own right and it blocks connection attempts from the Internet.

Have you scanned for viruses? If you don't have a virus scanner I'd suggest getting one - AVG at http://free.grisoft.com/ is good. You can do a scan of your PC by going to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ too.

Good luck, come back to us with some more info and we will try our best to help!!
Chris

Indian Telecom

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 02:47:51 PM »

I used Advanced Lan Scanner tried saving the results in a text file but it would'nt so here goes:-
My computer (logged in) Ports scanned 66 - 0-65535 closed except for ports 110, 135, 139, 445
Thompson (Windows NT) (logged in) Ports scanned 66 - 0-515 closed except for 110, 139, 515
BT Homehub.home (not logged in) Ports scanned 66 - 0-65535 closed except for 21, 110, 23
Thompson (not logged in) ports scanned 66 - 0-65535 closed except for 110

Did this scan with zone alarm pro shut down &  the web as limited as it is works fine. Have reinstalled the total broad band software again today! always gets to the same page were some elements are not installed but they are, one being the hub manager, still can not connect to that today, i launch bt broadband help, which takes me to, select your hub, from the drop down menu i choose the bthomehub, wait then it says please select you equipment, could do this all day and it still will not select the bthomehub, but it will let me select another router, then i come to a page where it has my computer linked to a router linked to bt and an unknown device...I tried going to the bthomehub webpage to register the hub but can not access the webpage probably due to the closed ports...the internet & data light flashed continously green on the hub these are now a steady green light since i did winstockxp fix

Did a virus scan last week which found 2 trojan horses and another item, cant remember what it was now so i will log off and do one now. I do know from doing a computer check at pcpitstop i do need more ram in my computer, could this have anything to do with it?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 07:44:03 PM »

This is a bit of a weird one, but reading between the lines I think you may have a weird problem with your PC.

From your other PC, can you get to the home hub's webpage?

I don't know what is going on here, but I would suggest trying to run LSP-Fix from cexx.org. If you run it, and then can post up what's in the window (either do a screenshot and attach it to your post, or just type the info here, there's not that much).

Specifically I'm interested in the list of files in the box, and whether it thinks there are any problems or not.

I can tell you one thing though, it isn't anything to do with the amount of RAM in your PC :)

Not sure what else I can suggest, your hub may simply have developed a fault! Do you have access to another router you can use?
Chris

Indian Telecom

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 08:35:19 PM »

I did a virus scan with avg that was ok it showed up a host file that had been changed. I dont have another PC just this one, or another router i can use...as i sit here its like my operating system and bthomehub are seperate but meet in some areas like connecting to the internet using Internet Explorer but i can't sign into msn. I ran the LSP-Fix, in the keep window was:
mswsock.dll   Tcpip
winrnr.dll   NTDS
nwprovau.dll   NWLinkIPX/SPX/NetBios Compatible Transport Protocol
rsvpsp.dll   (Protocol Handler)

No problems found & no changes necessary

Your right this is a weird one  ??? I can fix every problem on my computer but this one has flummoxed me and a few other folk

Indian Telecom

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 09:58:54 AM »

Hi
Phoned Bt this morning to ask for a new bthomehub, apparently the one i have is ok, it was Internet Explorer causing the conflict. I can access my hub manager & all ports are now open :)

Thanks for trying to help  :)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 11:50:28 PM »

Fair enough - still not sure what the problem was, to be honest! Glad it seems ok now though. :)
Chris

Indian Telecom

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 02:26:20 PM »

Fair enough - still not sure what the problem was, to be honest! Glad it seems ok now though. :)

It was spyware in the registry & browser hijack, bthomehub manager connects using internet explorer, internet explorer was'nt loading because of the spyware.  :)

anything