Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ISPs agree voluntary code of practice on traffic management  (Read 5334 times)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
ISPs agree voluntary code of practice on traffic management
« on: March 14, 2011, 08:35:53 AM »

Some of the UK's major ISPs have agreed on a voluntary code of practice (COP) for transparency on traffic management on broadband services. The code has been put together by the Broadband Stakeholder Group in collaboration with BT, O2, Sky, TalkTalk, Three, Virgin Media and Vodafone to try and clarify for end users what traffic management is in place, and the affects this will have on a users broadband connection.

thinkbroadband.com

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: ISPs agree voluntary code of practice on traffic management
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 01:55:37 PM »

Interesting that Plusnet havent joined, as although some of their shaping may not be the easiest to understand, at least they are very upfront about it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 02:56:52 PM by roseway »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 02:15:11 PM »

test

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 02:25:43 PM »

Something wrong with Kitz's post?

Just showing one line of text with a large blanks space below

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 02:34:01 PM »

Yes, something is a bit awry.........under investigation.. :police:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 03:01:15 PM »

I've cleaned it up (with some difficulty) but I don't know what caused it.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 06:37:33 PM »

May be my fault, my keyboard suddenly seems to have a mind of its own for the past few days and has started inserting all sorts of stuff it shouldnt.
Normally its garbage chars, but I noticed on a post I made earlier in another thread, it seemed to insert a pile of line breaks.  I cleaned that one up, but it may have done it here too. :(

Not sure whats causing it atm, but there seems to be a few other people with the logitech wireless keyboards seeing the same thing.. suspect some sort of signal interference, which is what has been suggested on the logitech forums.  Its almost as if it picks a (few) key(s) and then it repeats it forever more :(

Now typing on an old corded keboard until I suss out what the problem is.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 07:04:30 PM »

It may seem obvious, but have you changed the batteries Kitz? I used to have one, well I still do but no longer use it, and found changing the batteries cured the problem.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 04:23:35 PM »

I said in another forum/post that I wondered how long it would be before other ISP's followed suite as with Virgin Media's throttling shenanigans, which at the moment is still the reason I have not ditched Virgin Media for a different ISP as " out of the fire, and into the fat seems to come to mind" (or better the devil you know)

I do honestly understand why it's being done to people who use P2P services, but the annoying thing is that there is just no rhythm to what they are doing, one minute you get normal speed, the next practically nothing.

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 03:36:48 PM »

I said in another forum/post that I wondered how long it would be before other ISP's followed suite as with Virgin Media's throttling shenanigans, which at the moment is still the reason I have not ditched Virgin Media for a different ISP as " out of the fire, and into the fat seems to come to mind" (or better the devil you know)

I do honestly understand why it's being done to people who use P2P services, but the annoying thing is that there is just no rhythm to what they are doing, one minute you get normal speed, the next practically nothing.

Because some ISP's think it that those people use more bandwidth than others. When in fact, those that do not know about a lot the internet cost the ISP's a lot more money. ie: Support calls, or Viruses.

Some ISP's have said that they do this manage traffic and give everyone a fair chunk. A few ISP's cost more and don't do any traffic shaping, yet thier services are always (ok so not always as in some unique cases such as the cricket and Olympics all hittng with the Tennis on the Old 21CN platforms) at full speeds.

As a customer, it is my right to use what ever I like, and yet they are telling us what and when we can use these services.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 03:57:30 PM »

I'm not too sure what it is you are really saying.

My point of view is that I should be able to take that which a ISP says I can have at a given cost.

IE:
10Mb/s & 24/7 unlimited connection.
And not a 10Mb/s connection for less than 12 hours per night and a possibly traffic managed connection of about 12Kb/s during the hours of midday until midnight.

Whereas someone on the 50Mb/s connection is not traffic managed at all.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 06:52:34 PM »

I think he was saying the same as you.

If you are on 6Meg you should be able to use 6Meg when you wants to and not be cut down to 1Meg when the ISP thinks you should.

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 08:39:42 PM »

I'm with ADSL24 - not the cheapest but no throttling. According to their advertising blurb "By utilising the Cable & Wireless network, we are able to provide you a high quality service which includes unlimited usage, very low contention and NO port blocking, throttling or other traffic management systems"
Cheers,
Peter

anything