Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Guess who's been stupid  (Read 9281 times)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Guess who's been stupid
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 02:22:43 PM »

How bizarre though. Updating the BIOS should never cause it to stop booting from the HD. I've never seen that happen before!
Chris

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 02:59:25 PM »

Bizarre indeed. I'm going to do a bit more searching around to see if it's a known problem.
  Eric

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 05:05:22 PM »

Maybe the board was on the way out anyway, and updating the BIOS was the last straw for it.

Glad you're getting it sorted tho. :)
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 06:49:37 PM »

Thanks. Yes, you could be right, it might just be a hardware failure.
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 07:27:09 PM »

Maybe the board was on the way out anyway, and updating the BIOS was the last straw for it.

I would doubt that.
Or why would they ALWAYS strongly advise that you should know what you are doing or leave it up-to a expert, not to mention the other warnings that sometimes it may not be reversed if anything goes wrong of which can and does happen from time-to-time.

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2007, 07:31:15 PM »

o i dont know .... on oem machines we have to tattoo the bios (legal thang) which involves updating dmi info and if it done too many times them the bios can stop accepting info or part of it then we have to replace the mobo
Paul

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2007, 12:56:34 AM »

I would doubt that.
Or why would they ALWAYS strongly advise that you should know what you are doing or leave it up-to a expert, not to mention the other warnings that sometimes it may not be reversed if anything goes wrong of which can and does happen from time-to-time.

As it just has, unfortunately, to poor Eric.

However, there has to come a point where even the experts can't solve something, which is purely out of their hands.

I would consider myself an 'expert' (that really sounds big-headed doesn't it!! :-\ ), the point is I would update a BIOS, using the tools provided by the motherboard manufacturer, as roseway has done, and would expect it to go smoothly and work properly. This certainly isn't a problem that should ever come from a routine BIOS upgrade!!

I should think the warnings are mainly to prevent people doing silly things, e.g. flashing with the wrong BIOS file, turning the PC off or resetting it, right in the middle of the BIOS flashing, doing it on a notebook computer on battery power, etc.
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2007, 02:06:33 AM »

>>This certainly isn't a problem that should ever come from a routine BIOS upgrade!!

No I agree, I have on one occasion updated my own BIOS (seemed a good idea at the time, not that it needed it or made any difference) and fortunately it all went smoothly.

Trouble is we mainly only get to hear of problems when they go wrong, never of the 1,000s of times there is no problem.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2007, 07:52:32 AM »

>> This certainly isn't a problem that should ever come from a routine BIOS upgrade!!

Indeed not, and I certainly carried it out in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. The thing that tends to make me believe the hardware failure theory is that I kept a copy of the original BIOS and restored that after the problem occurred, and it still wouldn't boot from the HD.
  Eric
Pages: 1 [2]