Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: BT Home Hub  (Read 19096 times)

shape

Re: BT Home Hub
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2007, 07:51:37 PM »

Well, the E side pair swap could help... this is the bit between your local green cabinet and the exchange, i.e. a significant proportion of your phone line.

They did a E-side swop today.

To be honest, a "lift and shift" is only any good if the fault lies at the exchange (faulty line card in the DSLAM for example, which doesn't really happen all too often), as this involves putting your line onto a different DSLAM.

Resolutions just by chance phoned me whilst engineer was here fitting a rf3 filter, engineer actually took phone and spoke to resolutions telling him to monitor it over weekend, and if it continued to happen to order a lift and shift. So thats the second engineer recommending that, maybe they know something.

In the meantime try not to let it sync too often (easier said than done I know!) as your target SNR margin will continue to rise as there are more errors on the line. It looks like it's already risen to 9dB instead of 6dB, and it will stay there even when your fault is fixed. If you have a router compatible with the DMT tool you can tweak the target SNR margin down to get a bit more speed out of the line, but I wouldn't start playing obviously until your fault is resolved.

For the second day running I have watched the noise db dip slowly till it gets to about 3db and resync's.
This starts to happen at about half three, losing conection from five.
Today to rule out me, i had nothing but router on while i went out.

Good luck!

Tonus

• Just arrived
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2007, 04:51:53 PM »

Hi, first time poster here  :)

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm having a very similar problem.

On wednesday night, I noticed my broadband speed dropped to 0.7megs.  before, I was regularly getting between 3 and 4 and a half megs.  This happened for no apparent reason.  HTTP downloads and p2p downloads won't go above 14 kbps.  (incidentally, I notice on my p2p software, that I am not uploading and downloading at the same time anymore - I only upload when I'm not downloading).  Now my connection is even lower than that - various speed testers are giving me 0.1megs

I've tried a number of things suggested by this website (moving to master socket, removing orange wire from extension etc) to try and fix it.

I got this from the bt speedtester:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  768 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 95 kbps

and this from my home hub:

DSL Connection   

Link Information

Uptime:   0 days, 11:10:19
Modulation:   G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   448 / 768
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:   154.29 / 675.73
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 17.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   21.5 / 42.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   20.0 / 32.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   7 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   51 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 171
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 6
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 5
Line Profile:   Interleaved

If anyone can make any sense of these figures, I'd really appreciate it.  I'm from Glasgow, and trying to get an Indian to understand my accent is nigh on impossible.  ???
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 04:54:15 PM by Tonus »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2007, 05:14:19 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Tonus. :)

Basically, you have problems on your line.

Your SNR margin has gone to a really silly high level. I think the BT DLM system does that sometimes as an 'emergency measure' when all else fails.... or something. I don't really know as there isn't that much information about the finer details of how it works out in the wild.

So your SNR margin has been set really high, causing you to sync very slowly. Yet you're still getting errors. Loss of signal indicates 7 resyncs since you last rebooted your router. Seems like a lot.

Is your voice line ok? Do a quiet line test if they're still doable (dial 17070 and select option 2) and you can then hear if there's any crackling on the phone line. If there is crackling, then perhaps reporting a voice fault might be easier than reporting an ADSL fault. If you DO report a voice fault then don't mention anything about broadband.

Alternatively, write them an email instead, posting a copy of those line stats and say you have tried plugging in at the master socket with no other extensions etc etc.. and your line is still unstable.

Dunno really, it's a difficult one to sort out, especially as you have an accent barrier there too, so talking to the call centre is doubly difficult!
Chris

Tonus

• Just arrived
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2007, 05:32:53 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Tonus. :)

Basically, you have problems on your line.

Your SNR margin has gone to a really silly high level. I think the BT DLM system does that sometimes as an 'emergency measure' when all else fails.... or something. I don't really know as there isn't that much information about the finer details of how it works out in the wild.

So your SNR margin has been set really high, causing you to sync very slowly. Yet you're still getting errors. Loss of signal indicates 7 resyncs since you last rebooted your router. Seems like a lot.

Is your voice line ok? Do a quiet line test if they're still doable (dial 17070 and select option 2) and you can then hear if there's any crackling on the phone line. If there is crackling, then perhaps reporting a voice fault might be easier than reporting an ADSL fault. If you DO report a voice fault then don't mention anything about broadband.

Alternatively, write them an email instead, posting a copy of those line stats and say you have tried plugging in at the master socket with no other extensions etc etc.. and your line is still unstable.

Dunno really, it's a difficult one to sort out, especially as you have an accent barrier there too, so talking to the call centre is doubly difficult!

I did the quiet line test, and it is absolutely silent - no crackling or anything.  Even tried it from the extension which originally had the home hub, and that was silent too.
This is so frustrating, there is no apparent reason for this happening - it spontaneously decided it wasn't going to work, and it has just gotten worse.

The only thing that set wednesday night apart was that we had a particularly heavy frost - could that have done something to my line?

shape

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2007, 04:16:51 PM »

Hi this is what I went through since 6/10/07.
My speed went down to 135k.
I'm getting better but no there yet.
The biggest improvement I got was replacing the home hub with a speedtouch 585 v6 router.
This will hold the line better with all that noise on your line, which meant for me less resyncs which force your speed down.
The hub just seems to resync first sign of noise.
Have you any other router?
Pages: 1 2 [3]