Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: BT Home Hub  (Read 19095 times)

slippalong

• Just arrived
BT Home Hub
« on: September 10, 2007, 08:29:18 PM »

Hi all.I am a newbie to the forum but have been accessing the website for several weeks.Very informative :thumbs:Anyway I seem to be in a long line of users with BT Home Hub problems.Worked ok for about 2 weeks but slow. I have been on the phone to India trying to explain that the hub will only work for a max of about 4 minutes before it crashes.I have done all the usual things to get it to work but without success.I have now gone back to using my BT Voyager 2500v which has always worked pefectly,but the line stats are not very good
                                DOWN       UP
Line Rate                4160 Kbps 448 Kbps
Noise Margin           13.4 dB        23.0 dB    
Line Attenuation      46.0 dB      26.0 dB

As India seems to deny I have problem with my Home Hub should I consider a different router or keep pestering BT for a replacement Home Hub?

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
Re: BT Home Hub
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 10:08:23 PM »

Hi slippalong

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds as if there is a problem with your Home Hub, if you are getting reasonable speeds with your Voyager. Whether it is a physical fault or something wrong with the settings I am not able to advise.

If you could look for any brand and/or model number on the Home Hub and post them here, it will save time when somebody more knowledgeable sees your post.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 01:22:33 AM »

Welcome aboard :)

When you say it crashes, can you explain a bit about what's happening?

The reason I ask is that we might be able to give you a few buzzwords to use with BT support that will convince them that it is broken and needs replacing.
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 02:13:22 AM »

>> When you say it crashes, can you explain a bit about what's happening?

agreed.  we need to know basically if the router is simply loosing the connection (dsl light goes off) ow whether it totally locks up.

The stats from the 2500V look fine.. but it would also be interesting if we could compare any stats you can get from the Home Hub.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 08:23:55 AM »

the easiest way of getting replacement equipment from the indian chappies, is, when they ask what the problems is say:  the routers plugged into the mains only, no other cables, it doesnt work, no lights, no sounds, no nothing

they should then send you another one.

(ps... make sure no routers are attached to the phone line when you do this)
Paul

slippalong

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 07:23:41 PM »

Hi all.thank you for replying to my post.When I say the Hub crashes what I mean is it will connect for a while but then  lose the connection.All I get is the wireless light on green and the broadband light flashing, all other lights off.If I try to connect I get a message saying BT Home Hub not connected to a broadband line?I am at the moment connected so I will give you my stats while I can:-
DSL Connection   

Link Information

Uptime:   0 days, 0:09:53
Modulation:   G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   448 / 800
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/MB]:   274.00 / 1.57
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   11.5 / 17.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   26.0 / 45.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   23.0 / 21.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   33 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   36,130 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 12,676
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 7,848

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 01:21:24 AM »

Hi

The symptoms described are those of loosing sync.  This occurs when your router "cant hear the signal"* with the exchange.  Its well known that certain routers perform better than others particulary on long lines, and some are able to cope better with lower SNR Margins.

Unfortunately the HomeHub is one of those routers that doesnt seem to perform well on problem/long lines and does have a tendancy to drop the connection when some other routers would be able to hang on to the signal.  The flashing green light is when it cant hear the signal, to be able to connect you.

From the stats you have provided, its obvious that there are a lot of problems going on there with errors (theres actually a heck of a lot of errors considering the router had only been up for less than 10 mins).  Theres quite a large SNR Margin there so why it should be performing so poor I couldnt really say for sure.

In view of the fact that the Voyager 2500V is working fine, then its pointing the finger at the HH.

If possible see if BT will issue a replacement HH, because although the HH may not perform as well as some other routers, the huge difference between the 2 routers is far more than I would expect to see if it was just a "general HH thing".

Go along the lines that the router is consistantly loosing sync with the exchange and its recording a large amount of CRC/HEC errors and Errored seconds.  State that your other router doesnt have this problem and when using your voyager the line is stable.

Its certainly worth a try just to eliminate the possibility that this particular HH is faulty, before shelling out yourself on another router.

*not strictly true -  but the easiest way to explain it in simple terms.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 09:39:10 AM »

TBPH kitz, if slippalong goes down the route of reporting FEC/HEC errors to bt's helpline he'll get roped into hours of futile diags and end up with a btor engineer visit which wont proove anything.

i'd still go with the 'no power, no lights' and he'll get one straight away thru the post.

'it's ooover to youuuu' as lloyd would say.
Paul

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 09:58:53 AM »

I think I might be with pwiggler on this one.. we all know what the BTBB helpdesk is like.. the script doesn't really seem to cater for HEC/FEC errors.. as it is he'll still get the "is the yellow wire plugged into the socket on the back of the Home Hub..." set of questions without trying to go into line stats!

It might not be strictly the case, but the desired outcome is the same, and it's not as if he's trying to get a replacement hub where none is needed!
Chris

slippalong

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 07:45:55 PM »

Hi all.Thank you for your replies.The situation at the minute is I reset my hub the night before last and left it go for 18 hours to settle in,connected it when I got home from work and it lasted a whole 8 minutes before disconnecting and refusing to connect any more.As I had to work on the internet tonight I have had to reconnect my Voyager 2500 which as always is behaving perfectly.I am hoping to have an  NTE5 ADSL Faceplate fitted tomorrow.So I will give the hub one more try and if that wont work I guess it's all weekend on the phone to India to try and get a replacement Hub.Will let you know the outcome.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 10:22:34 PM »

Thanks for keeping us informed. :)

Good luck and let us know how you get on with bothe the NTE5 faceplate and also with BT

-----

slippalong

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 07:33:43 AM »

Hi all.Just an update on my BT Hub problem.I had a NTE5 faceplate fitted on Wednesday which worked fine for the Voyager 2500v so out of curiosity I thought I will give the Hub one more try although BT are sending me a replacement and guess what,it has been working fine ever since I connected,Still low speeds but I will give it the three days to see what happens.My only concern is I am still getting an awful lot of errors as you can see

Uptime:   2 days, 8:38:00
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   448 / 160
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:   13.24 / 78.09
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   11.5 / 11.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   26.0 / 45.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   23.0 / 27.0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   39 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   7,910 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 4,726,348
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 367,664
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 142,456

The problem is I cannot get any information on why these errors occur or in what direction to go to find a remedy ie:- would it still be a problem with the hub or is it a line problem causing them?As usual any help would be most appreciated. 

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 08:03:11 AM »

That downstream connection speed (they call it 'Bandwidth') is ridiculously low. It's actually below the lowest level for which an IP profile is specified. If a reboot of the HomeHub doesn't significantly change it then I would dump it and use the Voyager until the new hub arrives.
  Eric

slippalong

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 08:09:05 PM »

Hi all.Another update.My replacement Hub arrived today and I connected it this afternoon,It looks more promising.Still an awful lot of FEC errors but not very many CRC or HEC errors and no error seconds.Have posted my stats.hopefully someone can tell me if they look ok.Many thanks

Uptime:   0 days, 5:17:55
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   448 / 4,864
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:   5.06 / 41.26
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   11.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   25.0 / 45.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   24.0 / 11.0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 6,471,694
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 24
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 16

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2007, 07:16:26 AM »

Those are very good figures. You're now connecting at 4864 kbps downstream, which should result in your IP profile going up to 4000 in a day or two. If the connection proves to be stable then you've got a result.

The FEC errors are not significant. They are the consequence of interleaving being applied to your connection to improve its stability. These errors are in fact errors which have been autocorrected without the need of any retransmission, by the use of forward error correction which is part of the interleaving process. The only downside of interleaving is that the latency (ping) increases, which might have some slight consequence if you're an online gamer.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2 3