Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Running DMT tool/Routerstats Under Linux.  (Read 6111 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Running DMT tool/Routerstats Under Linux.
« on: January 04, 2011, 12:28:44 AM »

I have been using DMT tool and Routerstats in a 'Virtual XP computer' .
What do I have to do to run them in 'Wine' XP on a User Account NOT a Root account !.

Edit ... I have had both running in wine but DMT just keeps saying "it's the wrong IP address" (but it's not ! )
and Routerstats does not show any data .

I have read Eric's sticky post above.

Edit2... DMT is saying 'It can not identify the router type'  :'(  I will check I have the correct DMT tool for my 'Speedtouch 536')
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 09:34:15 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Running DMT tool/Routerstats Under Linux.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 07:18:49 AM »

I never succeeded in running DMT successfully in a user account. I don't remember exactly what the problem was, but I seem to recall that it simply wouldn't log on, despite entering the correct data. Earlier versions of Routerstats worked fine as a user, but more recent versions seem to stress the Wine system much more, and functioning is a bit hit and miss. I find that the telnet option just locks up the program.

I now use Routerstats-Lite instead of the full program, and I find that this works perfectly with Wine as a user.

(Perhaps I should modify the sticky to reflect this.)
  Eric

flanker

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 09:25:52 PM »

Ubuntu newbie here. I have installed as dual boot and one of the things I missed about windows was having routerstats running all the time. Decided to have a go at installing wine to run routerstats and after a bit of huffing and puffing I got there. Only to find excessive CPU usage every time routerstats interrogated the router.
Having read this thread I too have reverted to routerstats lite and problem solved.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 10:05:08 PM »

Ubuntu newbie here. I have installed as dual boot and one of the things I missed about windows was having routerstats running all the time. Decided to have a go at installing wine to run routerstats and after a bit of huffing and puffing I got there. Only to find excessive CPU usage every time routerstats interrogated the router.
Having read this thread I too have reverted to routerstats lite and problem solved.

Hello and welcome :).

Yes running the 'Lite' version seems to work well in wine.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 11:20:19 PM »

Got DMT tool working in a User account  ;D.

I will do a bit more testing and report back  ;)

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 11:56:09 PM »

Got DMT tool working in a User account  ;D.

I will do a bit more testing and report back  ;)

I forgot about this post   :blush:

All I had to do was to put my router address speedtouch.lan and not 192.168.1.254 in the IP-Add box.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 07:05:11 AM »

All I had to do was to put my router address speedtouch.lan and not 192.168.1.254 in the IP-Add box.

Hmm... I seem to remember that Speedtouch routers have a choice of two separate IP addresses, one being a 10.x.x.x number. I wonder if speedtouch.lan points at this alternative address. Can you ping speedtouch.lan?
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 11:33:02 PM »

Hmm... I seem to remember that Speedtouch routers have a choice of two separate IP addresses, one being a 10.x.x.x number. I wonder if speedtouch.lan points at this alternative address. Can you ping speedtouch.lan?

re   "Can you ping speedtouch.lan?"   Yes. and it was a 10.x.x.x  address.

So can you not do this with other routers ?. eg router address.lan

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 06:53:25 AM »

Maybe you can do it with some, but not all routers provide an access address in that form. I'm dredging my memory here (and not finding much) but I seem to recall that there is some difference in the way that the two IP addresses are set up in Speedtouch routers - something to do with passwords being required/not required perhaps?
  Eric