Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Trusteer report question  (Read 4887 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Trusteer report question
« on: December 20, 2010, 12:22:55 PM »

At the suggestion of my bank Trusteer is installed on my computer.
In its weekly reports
Code: [Select]
Attempt to alter function NtProtectVirtualMemory blocked often features.

I haven't a clue what NtProtectVirtualMemory is, nor anything else behind the message.

Education time for renluop, please! ;D

TrusteerSupport

• Just arrived
Re: Trusteer report question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 07:42:52 AM »

Hi Renluop,

Rapport blocked attempts to alter browser functions. Altering browser functions is a technique that allows taking over the browser and getting access to your sensitive information. This technique is used by malware but also by some legitimate software. Rapport blocks suspicious attempts to alter browser functions regardless of their origin. NtProtectVirtualMemory is just another one of the many browser functions that may be altered in order to take over the browser.

This does not necessarily mean that you have malware on your PC. By blocking these attempts Rapport protects you whether the attempt was made by malware or by legitimate software. There is nothing you need to do with regard to these events as Rapport protects you from any potential threat by blocking the execution of these alterations.

If the activity report presents hundreds of these events, please report a problem from the Rapport console and let us know about this, so we can check if this is malicious software or legitimate software that may need to be approved by Rapport.

Best Regards,
Trusteer Technical Support team

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 07:50:54 AM »

Welcome to the forum TrusteerSupport, and thank you for that explanation.
  Eric

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 10:48:52 AM »

Trusteer unfortunately leave us Linux users to fend for ourselves.

Wonder what would happen if somehow my online banking was compromised and the bank then blaming me for not using Trusteer, when all I'm doing is using an inherently secure operating system. At least NatWest acknowledge that Linux exists:
System requirements ... Firefox with an operating system such as Linux – you may also be able to access online banking.

Cheers,
Peter

hake

• Reg Member
  • Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 07:48:09 PM »

I use this.  It is especially valuable when a secure web page contains non-secure stuff (they do exist - for example see the 'secure' login page for www.auctionsniper.com ).  Rapport effectively locks down the non-secure content.
Windows XP