Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lappies and mouses  (Read 14623 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Lappies and mouses
« on: September 01, 2007, 11:59:15 AM »

What do you people use for mouse input to your laptops? The mousepad on mine is a pig to use - it's difficult to move the pointer accurately and the click action is too sensitive, so I keep on clicking accidentally which makes navigating a menu a complete nightmare.

At the moment I'm using a normal USB mouse, but that's not very convenient if the lappy is on my lap. What I really need (I think) is a very tiny wireless mouse which I can use on the armrest part of the machine.
  Eric

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Re: Lappies and mouses
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 12:01:54 PM »

I thought the plural of (pc) mouse was mice?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 12:11:50 PM »

Careful with that lappy on your lap, Eric. You could fall victim to "Great balls of Fire" syndrome!

scottiesmum

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 12:15:37 PM »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 12:32:26 PM »

>> The mousepad on mine is a pig to use - it's difficult to move the pointer accurately and the click action is too sensitive.

The Acer software should allow you to change this although Im not sure if theres a linux version for it?

I normally use normal usb - for some reason mice with lappies dont seem to last too long. Last year I used to use the lappy a lot  and I went through several mice. Personally (and this is just my opinion) I wouldnt go for cordless due to the fact that I would have gone through too many batteries and you still have to plug in the receiver unit.

I tend to find I do the most damage at where the usb sticks out of the side.. therefore although I dont normally mind paying extra for my mice Im a bit more conservative when it comes to paying out for the lappy.  Obviously optical is a must.

Ive just got one of these http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/114185 for my lappy.
Its smaller than a normal mouse but its not that tiny and not sure if its really small enough to use on the "lappy deck".   I cant really comment further though..  cause its still in the packaging and Ive not given it a work out yet.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 12:36:09 PM »

Thanks for the last two sensible answers. :D

>> The Acer software should allow you to change this although Im not sure if theres a linux version for it?

I hadn't even thought of that. I'll have a look around.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 12:38:32 PM by roseway »
  Eric

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 12:39:22 PM »

The thing I find annoying with USB mice and lappies is the cable is too long and gets in a right old tangle on the desk. Do they do mice with short leads for use with lappies?

(Was that a sensible enough question for you, Eric?) ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 12:47:27 PM »

lol astral

btw.. I have seen somewhere mice with a "roll up cable" thing...  cant remember where though now.

Back to lappies and the topic alan already brought up. One of the best things I bought for use with my lappy at home was one of those lap trays that are cushioned underneath.  Theres enough room on the side of mine for the mouse to live.  I think it cost me about £8 in one of those poundstretcher type stores.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 12:56:47 PM »

Is this the one you were thinking of Kitz?

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/90255

I like the idea of the cushioned tray.
  Eric

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 01:09:28 PM »

Bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut IMHO. I can't imagine anybody swapping mice between lappy & PC on a regular basis. You could buy two ordinary mice for less than that. It would be nice if one of them could have a short lead for lappy use.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 02:07:41 PM »

Possibly could have been eric. TBH I didnt really pay that much attention, just knew they were available.  The reason why I discounted them was because of the size of the attatchment that would come out of the side of the usb port.

I think the main thing to remember (or for me at least) is that the usb port is on the right hand side of the laptop.  Anything you stick in there is going to get in your way (or it does for me) when you use the mouse.. or just in general.

The reason why Ive gone through a few mice is that the wire where it joins the usb plug has got damaged.
(This has happened on 1 M$ mouse and 2 logitechs in just one year). 
Bearing in mind that cable is flexible and will bend at this point..  I'd hate to think what it would be like if I kept a usb stick or anything bigger in that port all the time.

If you use your lappy on a desk or table then you probably wont notice this.. but as you know I relied on the lappy quite a lot last year, and if you use it on your knees whilst sat on the sofa then its much more likely to become a problem.

The ports on your lappy may not be in the same place as mine (also an Acer) - but try sticking a usb pen drive in the port to see if it could become a PITA if you need to plug something in there for the cordless receiver.  It may be ok on yours, but if you start to knock the pen drive whilst moving the mouse around you may have the same problems that I did.

As astral says, a short lead would be the best solution, but I dont think Ive ever seen one of those :(
-----

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2007, 02:12:38 PM »

eric

theres a synaptics linux touchpad driver at :

http://web.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/

i checked the synaptics webby and they dont have a linux driver suprisingly.

this should enable u 2 change the sensitivity and speed of the pad.

ive got a pcline mini optical mouse from PCW which has a retractable lead for my lappy, its ok but with it being so small and my hands so big it becomes a pain after about half an hour of use.

Paul

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 02:13:25 PM »

As astral says, a short lead would be the best solution, but I dont think Ive ever seen one of those

I've just patented it. (try saying that when you've had a few bevvies) Not. :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 03:22:14 PM »

>>> The ports on your lappy may not be in the same place as mine (also an Acer) - but try sticking a usb pen drive in the port to see if it could become a PITA if you need to plug something in there for the cordless receiver.

There are USB ports on the left and at the back on mine, but wherever they are I think you're right about the possible problem.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 03:23:18 PM »

>>> theres a synaptics linux touchpad driver at : http://web.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/

Thanks for that, Paul.

[Edit] Later - and it was amazingly easy to install and works perfectly, so thanks again.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 04:07:07 PM by roseway »
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2