Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Beta Testers needed  (Read 21160 times)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Beta Testers needed
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2007, 12:40:04 AM »

Talk about an easy(?!) first project!!  ::) Wow!

Nice one Kitz - haven't looked at the new code yet cuz I've only just got in from working, but it's the first time I've seen it 'themed' - looks brilliant, nicely presented, good useful info - definitely a winner :)

Edit, just looked at the php code, I see how you've done the different distance calculation, nice idea. Still relies on the info returned from Sam's API though, unfortunately, and if it's wrong as in Astral's case (who actually provides the exchange location data - is is BT or is it Sam's own list?). Not a lot you can do about that though, it seems like for the most part it's pretty accurate.

Also, from what I can see, there's nothing wrong with the code at all! It works, it's straightforward to follow (main thing) and it's well written. Nice one :)

ps just to let you know, I just made a slight alteration to the miles -> km driving distance conversion in the distances2.inc.php file to make it a wee bit more accurate (discovered that 1 mile isn't exactly 5/8 of 1 km!)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 01:12:05 AM by mr_chris »
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2007, 03:06:03 AM »

Thanks for the comments guys..  will look again tomorrow and digest properly.

Not long got in and Im too tired to take anything much in  :sleep:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2007, 10:25:53 AM »

With chris's mod it is even more accurate now .

Distance:-      Direct:               3.49 km
            (appx)     By Road:     4.18 km

Which is what my car speedometer said.

Nice one.   :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2007, 10:43:42 AM »

I'm still getting zero distance, although the postcode input "problem" seems to have gone away.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2007, 10:48:39 AM »

By the way, One thing I should have done earlier to try to help was let you know where my local exchange (Sellindge) really is. It's at http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=51.103667,1.00261&spn=0.001144,0.002602&t=k&z=19&om=1
and the exchange is the dark-roofed building in the middle of the image. The road is the A20, and if you go up it a short distance and take the first right you are at the far end of the road where I live.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2007, 11:39:39 AM »

Sorry - didnt have chance yesterday to do anything at all :(
I'll try have a look into this later  today
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2007, 08:54:18 PM »

Tried your program Kitz and as others have said it works well. For someone who has just got to grips with php it must be very pleasing for you and deserves lots of praise.  I have no criticisms at all constructive or otherwise, just thought to offer my three'apence worth.

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2007, 09:02:44 PM »

It's working as well as mapping/database information allows for me now. A small anomaly is that the direct distance is further than the road distance by 2 metres, but is probably not worth meddling with.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2007, 10:02:46 PM »

ooh thank you.

I've not had time to do anything much on it for the past couple of days

>> It's working as well as mapping/database information allows for me now

lol..  that is very strange - because I havent done anything on version 1 or 2 and had started a brand new version 3 on which I was trying to sort the problem that you were seeing astral.*

Version 1 is mostly postcode based.  version 2 was soley longitude and latitude based whilst version 3 is going to be a hybrid, but I hadnt uploaded that yet (being on dial up last night made doing any testing impossible.)

*for some reason google API was nulling astrals address on long/lat
*google was nulling Mikes exchange postcode
therefore I wanted to pull something together that was a combination of the 2..  Unfortunately that part of the prog does rely soley on the info in google maps database therefore I'm a bit stuck as to what it sends me back.

It actually makes 3 data requests to google
- one for the map.
Then one for the straight line distance.
Then another for the driving distance...  the API is still apparently not fully out of development by google and they quote

The API is new, so there may be bugs and slightly less than perfect documentation. Bear with us as we fill in the holes

Astral if you want to PM me your postcode (dont need your phone no) then I can have a better look first hand to see what its doing.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2007, 07:14:58 PM »

Spent the afternoon looking at this..
Ive got the hybrid version up which should hopefully catch all exchanges now.

As regards to driving distances Im going to have to admit defeat on this one..  no matter what I tweak when it comes down to it, Im restricted to what info the google maps API sends back.  Its a totally different calculation to the direct distance and Im very limited to what info I can alter.

I think I've done just about all I can on it and I think the only way Im ever going to get that anywhere near perfect is by asking people to put their full addresses in... and I'd also need to send in the full address for the exchange. :/

The rest of the stuff seems to be working ok - and afaik it is only the driving distances that does seem to have the oddness on some addresses because of the area that postcodes can cover.  The main thing is that all the exchange/ line info stuff seems to be working ok
Therefore (for now) I think Im gonna just leave it in "as a guide".  :(

Thank you everyone for your feedback - most appreciated.

-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2007, 10:35:04 PM »

Wanna give yours a try again eric?
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2007, 07:32:14 AM »

Fantastic! Everything looks just about right now, including the road distance. Well done. :)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2007, 09:13:00 AM »

good stuff
- although I must admit that it was Sam that changed the records on that one after I'd explained to him the problem I was having with the location on your particular exchange - so I cant actually take the credit.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2007, 10:08:59 AM »

You can take the credit for perseverance.
  Eric

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2007, 10:24:51 AM »

I think I must live in the Twiglet Zone! My direct distance is still further than the road distance but they are, now, of the right order of magnitude.

Well done for having another go at cracking the problem.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5