Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: [Resolved] Unable to access PCLinuxOS forums  (Read 6635 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
[Resolved] Unable to access PCLinuxOS forums
« on: November 16, 2010, 08:45:10 AM »

I have just recently installed a test PCLinuxOS system and want to visit the forums, however I get a message saying I am banned as a spammer! Does anyone else get this when visiting http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/? I should say that I did visit successfully about 15 minutes before and registered and now waiting for my account to be approved.

Stuart
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:59:25 AM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

MartinGoose

Re: Unable to access PCLinuxOS forums
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 09:04:16 AM »

Access is OK from here (NW England) all morning so far.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 09:35:19 AM »

I just did a re-sync to get a new IP in case they were blacklisting by IP but I still get the message. Just tried Chrome instead of Firefox and it works so I am a bit puzzled.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 09:59:09 AM »

Sorted it, the forum had stored two cookies so I deleted them and now I can view the forum again....

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: [Resolved] Unable to access PCLinuxOS forums
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 10:08:28 AM »

There's something quite odd about the PCLinuxOS forum, and it's been there for a long time. They have a very aggressive attitude towards anybody who doesn't conform exactly to their long list of rules, and it's very easy to get banned or blacklisted. When I first tried to register (two or three years ago) their activation email to me was blocked somewhere, and I had to try again with a gmail account to get registered.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 10:53:07 PM »

I have never had any problems, but I know they been spammed and had DOS attacks and the 'wiki' taken out  :(.

@ broardstairs.... How have you got on with PCLinuxOS ?, which version have you tried ?.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 01:16:37 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 07:40:25 AM »

I haven't used PCLinuxOS seriously for some time, although I try out each new version as it's released, and usually keep it as an option on my backup machine. I still think it's very close to the top of the list for a general-purpose distro, but my own personal number 1 is Debian Testing, and that's what I use on my main machine. It isn't the choice for everyone.

Eric

MartinGoose

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 07:55:55 AM »

I have used PCLinuxOS for the last three and a half years (KDE3 and now KDE4) on a range of machines from Acer netbook to home built machine with SSD boot drive and 4x1TB drives in RAID 5. It has gone through the odd sticky patch but always re-emerged.

I have not suffered from any aggression on the forum and found courteous help almost every time I have sought it. YMMV.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 08:10:15 AM »

Perhaps I should qualify what I said earlier about the PCLinuxOS forum. They used to have a very unpleasant, sarcastic and aggressive moderator, who was infamous for squashing newcomers who made small mistakes such as posting in the wrong section of the forum. I very nearly got myself banned when I publicly tackled him about his nasty behaviour. I believe he's now long gone, so perhaps my attitude to the forum has been too much coloured by that earlier experience.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »

Well despite registering some time ago I still have not received my confirmation to allow me on to the forum. I dont think I'll bother again since it was only a test install to check out some ATI Control Centre problem.

Stuart

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 01:44:15 PM »

Well despite registering some time ago I still have not received my confirmation to allow me on to the forum. I dont think I'll bother again since it was only a test install to check out some ATI Control Centre problem.

Stuart

Do you want me to contact a 'mod' for you to sort it out internally? as I had to do for there other forum http://mypclinuxos.com/forum/index.php the other week.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 08:15:30 PM »

Do you want me to contact a 'mod' for you to sort it out internally? as I had to do for there other forum http://mypclinuxos.com/forum/index.php the other week.

Thanks for the offer but it does not matter now. I only installed it to try out the ATI drivers, and for now I'm not swapping to it. Thanks anyway....

Stuart