Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Nicking Wireless Broadband & Sky Soccer Matches.  (Read 4411 times)

dave.m

• Kitizen
Nicking Wireless Broadband & Sky Soccer Matches.
« on: August 26, 2007, 02:17:34 PM »

It's been covered many times in the past but an interesting point:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6960304.stm

Also, for opinions......

Premiership soccer on non-Sky systems in pubs.

If a Middle Eastern Satellite that is transmitting a UK Premiership match is receivable in the UK, what is wrong with a pub landlord showing it on TVs in the pub?

The legal side of it is that the Premiership sell the 'rights to the picture' to Sky, who then resell to Middle East TV companies to relay via their own Satellite links to anyone who has a paid-for decoder card to receive the signal..

As they cannot restrict the download signal area just to the surrounding countries, if someone tunes in a dish and owns a decoder which are legally available, then buys a decode payment card to receive the signal, what is 'legally' wrong with showing the picture to all your pub customers.

There are some court cases pending in the UK about just this situation. Some have been found guilty of infringing some 'rights' but others on appeal have given the judiciary a right old headache.

What do you think?

dave

scottiesmum

Re: Nicking Wireless Broadband & Sky Soccer Matches.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 02:55:08 PM »

....if the Pub has a legal system,  with legal signal etc... I can't see the problem, and  ANYTHING that stops the Murdoch monopoly is fine by me !! >:D

.........regarding the BBC Magazine  article on the Wi Fi situation   ...   in Paris, and many other French cities and towns there are free Wi Fi signal connections    (or whatever you call them  ::) ) all over the place ...for the inhabitants and tourists alike ...    it may not be the 'done thing' to poach other peoples electronic communications facilities, but with all the other anti social activities that appear to be taking place, to class it as criminal is,  I think,  a little heavy handed...    :no:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Nicking Wireless Broadband & Sky Soccer Matches.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 03:31:43 PM »

It seems to me that someone sitting in a car in the road, connecting to an unsecured wireless network, can only be doing it quite deliberately. In my opinion, that makes it theft, even if he doesn't steal much. A lot of people are on quite limited download packages, and even a fairly small amount could tip them over their limit. I definitely don't approve.

But with the satellite thing I'm not so sure. Sky are (supposedly) professional operators who are making something available in such a way that it leaks into areas not intended to be covered. If the pub takes advantage of the imprecise transmission technology, I find it hard to criticise them, whatever the true legal situation.

Maybe that makes me a hypocrite. :-\
  Eric

anything