Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Netgear DG834v3 - Unable to access the Router Config via the Internet Browser  (Read 5817 times)

TANDYMAN

• Just arrived

I would be very, very grateful for any assistance on the issue below….. :

I have a fairly new PC running Windows XP Media.

I have just purchased a Netgear DG834v3 Router….based on the reviews which suggested that it was fairly straight forward to setup………..3 days and many hours later and I still haven’t even managed to access the Router via the web interface.

When I connected the Router to my PC all the correct led’s lightup on the Router and I can even ping it’s IP address at 192.168.0.1 without any probems…..but when I  try and access the IP http://192.168.0.1 via the Internet Browser….then it just seems to hang.

I am still able to access the internet using my old ADSL Broadband Modem connection…

I know it’s not  the Router because I connected it to a friends Laptop and it let me into the Router Password and Logon screen almost immediately via the internet browser.

I’ve had a look at the Netgear support and various forums to try and resolve the issue without much success . This is what I’ve done so far ( several times at least !!) -:

a)        Updated the firmware on the Router (via friends Laptop).
b)        Reset the Router ( many times !! ).
c)        DHCP is enabled and  my IP config details show correct info -:

Windows IP Configuration

Host name :                   acer_067e3bcefd

Primary DNS Suffix :

Node Type :                    Unknown

IP Routing Enabled :        Yes

WINS Proxy Enabled         No

Ethernet Adaptor Local Area Connection

Connection Specific DNS Suffix :

Description :                                 Intel <R> PRO / 1000 PC Network Connection

Physical Address :                                     00-16-e7-17-46-DE

DHCP Enabled :

Automatic Configuration enabled :    Yes

IP Address :                                192.168.0.2

Subnet Mask :                              255.255.255.0

Default Gateway :                        192.168.0.1

DHCP Server :                              192.168.0.1

DNS Servers :                              192.168.0.1

d)        I’ve been in and checked the network connection status via ‘My Network Connections’ on the PC it’s connected… all looks ok..
e)        Ping test to 192.168.0.1 works fine no packet loss.
f)        Disabled the windows firewall….
g)        Set all the internet  Security settings to low…
h)        Ensured Java script is running and ActiveX is enabled…
i)        Ensured the internet Lan settings weren’t using any proxy settings
j)        Removed all other (spyware/adware) software from my PC…
k)        Ran WinsockXP … all OK.

I'm at a loss now …..just don’t know what to try next…..any assistance would be most appreciated.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.

Hi there, just a shot in the dark here as I am not that good myself with routers (as may be seen from my previous posts here) however:

I think the actual IP Address : that it is asking for is your actual IP Address.
However saying that, athough not the same model of router, mine is greyed out with a tick in the box for
"Get Dynamically From ISP"

IP Address :                                192.168.0.2

Subnet Mask :                              255.255.255.0

Default Gateway :                        192.168.0.1

DHCP Server :                              192.168.0.1

DNS Servers :                              192.168.0.1

If you are not sure of your IP address, you can check it out here:

http://www.whats-my-ip.co.uk/
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 02:47:34 AM by oldfogy »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

Hi Tandyman and welcome.

Have you tried using a different browser? I don't use Windows myself, but I know there have been some issues with IE7 and some routers.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

Hi :)

Ive seen the symptoms you have described occur before due to over-zealous firewall/anti-virus software.  In particular AGV / ZA and Norton (NIS).

In the cases Ive seen its usually when the software previously had a usb modem installed, then trying to access a router for the first time.   Ive even seen a couple of users report* that simply disabling the firewall doesnt seem to help and they have had to completely remove and re-install the firewall before they were able to get access.

Are you running a software firewall?  If so it should be safe to disable it for configuration since the Netgear is a hardware firewall and also uses NAT as another layer of protection.

*I havent seen that personally myself and it could be more that the firewall wasnt disabled or configured properly, but due to the fact I have seen it mentioned a few times with some software it could well be possible.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 11:19:53 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

TANDYMAN

• Just arrived

Hi...

I did have a USB Modem installed previously..... . I've already tried disabling Windows Firewall and disabled the Symantec Anti-Virus too....haven't go any others on my PC .....but still no joy.

Tried Firefox too....still no joy...

Someone suggested changing the IP of the Router to 192.168.10.x range via a friends PC .... tried that could still ping the Router from my PC but still couldn't get into Router config....

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

Again, just on the off chance.
Have or can you try 168.162.1.1

Thats my Netgear access (although as said before, a different model)

Actually come to think of it, I had the same problem when I changed to this Netgear WGR614 router, but sorry I don't know what I did to cure it, except as you have said "Factory re-sets" and making sure my Internet options were still set to "Normal" disabling PeerGuardian along with F........

Just remembered.
It was Windows Firewall that was blocking me.

Failing that, have you tried to access it in safe mode.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 07:51:19 PM by oldfogy »

jabns

• Reg Member

Hi there,

If you asign IP's staticaly and choose not to use the DHCP server make sure you have got the subnet mask right. That was what caused the same issues with my DG834 a while ago.

Default:

Modem IP: 192.168.0.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0

My Modem IP: 10.0.0.1
My Modem Netmask: 255.0.0.0

but i forgot to change the subnet(it was on 255.255.255.0) on one client and so it could not access certain parts of the LAN like the Modem Access Page.

Just a thought,
James Barlow

soms

• Reg Member

Try booting XP into "safe mode with networking".

I am using it now to see it works properly and no AV or FW packages, along with any troublesome drivers are/will run.

This seems a good thing to try given the advice mentioned earlier about some troublesome software packages.

I have working network access and my web browsers are working fine as well.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

When I connected the Router to my PC all the correct led’s lightup on the Router and I can even ping it’s IP address at 192.168.0.1 without any probems…..but when I  try and access the IP http://192.168.0.1 via the Internet Browser….then it just seems to hang.
Just had the same thing happen to myself (again).
This time what cured the problem was going into "Network Settings" and selecting "Repair" in Internet settings.
This then let me in first-time.