Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: BT Voyager not reconnecting after losing sync?  (Read 20698 times)

Anthony2007

• Just arrived
Re: BT Voyager not reconnecting after losing sync?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 12:26:52 PM »

Thanks!  I did see someone on usenet suggest that the ROI firmware was "better", but when I looked at the BT site I was put off by the following:

Warning

This firmware is only for BT Voyager 2110 users who reside in the Republic of Ireland (ROI). This firmware is the same as version 3.01q but is proconfigured to work with the ADSL broadband service supplied in the ROI. Installation of thsi firmare on any 2110 outside of this area will result in a router that will not connect to your broadband service.

http://www.voyager.bt.com/wireless_devices/voyager_2110/firmware_update_roi.htm

The latest version they have for everyone else is 3.03c (released 23/05/07) which is already installed on my router.

Is it safe to try the ROI 3.62 firmware here in England?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 12:35:59 PM »

Don't take this as an authoritative answer, but I would have thought that the ROI firmware could be set up manually with little difficulty to work in the UK. It should be just a matter of using the web interface to configure a small number of items to their UK specs.
  Eric

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 12:53:19 PM »

yeah, exactly eric ...... and if there are any incompatibility probs .... flash it back to the old firmware !
Paul

dejjones

• Just arrived
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 11:38:42 PM »

Have just noticed this thread, and I know it's quite old, but I had this exact problem occurring with my voyager 210 (not reconnecting after losing sync).
But when I changed my PC about a month ago, the problem disappeared, until I downloaded and re-installed the DMT Tool from the Kitz site. The problem then re-appeared.
So is the problem somehow tied up with the DMT Tool.
Has anyone else who is experiencing this problem installed the DMT Tool?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 01:00:15 PM »

>> I changed my PC about a month ago, the problem disappeared,

TBH I dont see how changing your PC could affect whether the router will auto-connect or not after loosing sync, since resync is negotiated entirely between the router and dslam at the exchange.

Just checking though are you using the ethernet or usb connection?
I'm wondering if perhaps some traffic requests could have perhaps been "kick starting" the router into action.

Off the top of my head I dont see how DMT could have affected this either.. anyone else got any ideas?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2007, 03:05:38 PM »

The only way DMT could have affected it (as far as I can see) would be if the target noise margin was tweaked too low, but then manual reconnection would also be a problem. So I think it's probably a red herring.
  Eric

dejjones

• Just arrived
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007, 05:18:17 PM »

Sorry, my problem was not quite the same as the thread title suggests, but judging by the original poster's follow up entries I think he did have the same problem as me.
The voyager did resync after a loss of connection, but would not reconnect to the ISP; that had to be done manually.
Then when I changed my PC, everything reconnected automatically until I downloaded and installed the DMT Tool.
Then it wouldn't reconnect to my ISP after resyncing again.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 05:29:44 PM by dejjones »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2007, 11:34:55 AM »

>> Then it wouldn't reconnect to my ISP after resyncing again.

That bit is part of the establishing a PPP session.  Sync is attained between you and the exchange, whilst the PPP session is the ISP part.*  Your ISP can make you loose the PPP session but they cant make you drop sync.

I have actually seen numerous reports where users have problems automatically regaining PPP session after an ISP has carried out load balancing, or if the PPP session is lost for some other reason. As mentioned I know someone who moved to zen because he thought it was an isp specific problem but it followed him there too.   Ive seen reports of Enta customers and also many other ISPs saying the same thing.

I even went through a period of it myself with my Voyager 2100 router which righted itself again out of the blue.  I didnt have DMT installed at the time, nor did the guy who moved to Zen.

This problem seems to crop up with various different routers, it covers various ISPs and it seems to come and go, one thing I have seen mentioned elsewhere is that it doesnt seem to affect the ST frog modems, possibly because a USB modem will automatically sync when the PC is booted up, but relies on the "dial command" (PPP session) being initiated on the PC.

A router is a separate entity with its own processor, CPU and even operating system and doesnt need anything PC related to be able to attain sync or establish a PPP session and carries out this process without any interaction from the PC or anything on the PC.

All the DMT tool does is sets a command in the router so that it will establish a sync at a lower target SNR Margin during the sync negotiation process with the dslam and DLM.  It doesnt actually amend anything at all to do with the PPP session.

Because a router doesnt rely on a PC related for sync or PPP then thats why I dont see how the problem could have "gone away" when a new PC was attached.

When I did have the problem the time frame did co-incide with a time when BT was "mucking about" stuff at my exchange,
and although I cant prove it, it is possible that it is far more likely to be something to do with a combination of the router hardware, the dslam and further up the chain at RADIUS servers which does have responsiblity for establishing a login.

Although it shouldnt in theory happen, there are many many cases when if the router chipset and the dslam chipset is "matched" then users seem to report better stability.  Theres also the AR7 chipset "issue" which hasnt yet been fully explained, but its possible that that involves a specific combination of the router chipset and the dslam chipset and some other as yet undiscovered BT variant(s) on their config. If you match all those variants whatever they are then something weird seems to happen.

It cant however be anything PC related... hence why the change of PC etc is likely to be a co-incidence.

However just thought do you connect via USB or ethernet?

----
Edited to clarify

* Although the PPP session is generally on the whole ISP related, there is an earlier part of authentication which is carried out still on the BT system.
Authentication is a many stage process, but can be split down into 2 main parts...  at the BTw RAS and at the ISP's RADIUS.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 11:37:42 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

dejjones

• Just arrived
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2007, 12:21:59 PM »

Thanks for the reply.
I'm not really trying to blame DMT for the problem, but just trying to find out if anyone else has similar experience.
To answer your question, I connect via ethernet.

There's another little quirk that crops up when I access the router via IE7 (ie http//192.168.1.1/)
I get the "quck start" screen but it is frozen, in fact IE7 freezes, and the only way out is by ending the process in task manager.
If I use Firefox everything works fine.

Anthony2007

• Just arrived
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2008, 04:02:21 PM »

Thought I'd report in with the latest - finally my problem has gone away!

I had given up on this problem ever getting resolved months ago and learned to live with it, but just recently (within about the last week) my router has started reconnecting automatically again out of the blue.  It still disconnects occasionally, but I no longer have to intervene to get it back online.  I've also noticed that the router stats have changed slightly.  The downstream noise margin is now always around 10 to 12dB (it used to be around 6dB) and the upstream line rate has dropped from 448Kbps to 288Kbps.

I noticed on a Pipex newsgroup that some Pipex users are complaining of having recently been migrated to Tiscali LLU without warning.  I wonder if that's what has happened to me?  Still, if things stay as they are, I'm happy!

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 07:27:03 PM »

quick rule of thumb, if your on a fixed rate dsl service ie 0.5, 1, & 2 mb the upstream speed would be 288 kbps

the SNR should be in double figures, in the teens is average, 20's good, 30 very good, 40's buy a lottery ticket

upstream 440's then your on rate adaptive "yes this isp can give you up to 8mb (subject to azamaphulp)"

The SNR "MARGIN" is best as low as possible ie 3/6db where's that lottery ticket, 9/12db ok, 15db sort of ok, 18db ahh!. the db should be stable within 3db's within say a half hour.

The analogy I always use for snr, your talking to someone at the end of the street/garden & someone starts a lawn mower nearby "Your tea's ready" "what" "i said... can you turn that off" "what....There iv'e turned that off now what were you saying ?"

Anthony2007

• Just arrived
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008, 09:42:44 PM »

quick rule of thumb, if your on a fixed rate dsl service ie 0.5, 1, & 2 mb the upstream speed would be 288 kbps

the SNR should be in double figures, in the teens is average, 20's good, 30 very good, 40's buy a lottery ticket

upstream 440's then your on rate adaptive "yes this isp can give you up to 8mb (subject to azamaphulp)"

I'm on the Pipex Midi "up to 8Mb" service (downstream currently 5280Kbps) which is why I was surprised to see my upstream showing 288Kbps now - it used to be 448Kbps.  I think I am one of the "lucky"(?) Pipex users who have been moved to Tiscali LLU without being told - speedtest.net now shows my ISP as being "TISCALI UK LIMITED".  If it gives me a connection that I don't have to keep restarting manually then all the better!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2008, 07:29:27 PM »

Glad its sorted for you... it does seem to go back to my post earlier when I said

My own router (a voyager 2100) did this for a very short period of time when previously it had been fine...[snip]... thinking it may be ISP related.. but the problem followed him to Zen too...  so it could even be something BT/exchange/router related.

If you have been moved to tiscali LLU (which seems likely since you have a tiscali IP).. then you will have been moved to a different dslam (one of theirs) at the exchange.

Does seem to make you wonder if it is something to do with the DSLAM configuration you were connected to.  Mine righted itself without going on LLU..  but I do suspect that I was moved to one of the new MSANs.

You could see if tiscali have equip at your exchange from the adsl checker.

I would ask your ISP though why youre getting the lesser upstream speed.
-----
Pages: 1 [2]

anything