Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Helping with neighbours new laptop.  (Read 3282 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Helping with neighbours new laptop.
« on: October 14, 2010, 12:36:18 AM »

I'm Helping with a neighbours free new laptop obtained on the 'computers Home access' for there daughter.
At this point in time I do not know much about it only that they cannot get the T-mobile wireless dongle to work and I told them because the T-mobile signal is very weak around here it will not work so I said I will show then how to connect to there BT Broadband.

Just in case I need them I have downloaded and I will take with me on a USB stick, Firefox, Thunderbird, AVG, Zonealarm, Spybot, a2.

As I'm a bit out of date with MS security, can you think of any other important software I should take with me, Besides Linux he-he  :blush:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 02:28:02 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Helping with neighbors new laptop.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 06:58:23 AM »

Just download m/s security essentials,its free,low on resource hogging and gets very good press.

http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-Security-Essentials/3000-2239_4-10969260.html

And then download Malwarebytes as an on demand scanner.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: Helping with neighbors new laptop.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 12:13:32 AM »

As it turned out I did not have to install any security software because they have to get the computer with the free grant from special firms that pre-install the software .

But I did install open office .
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

anything