Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Sat Nav  (Read 25262 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Sat Nav
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2007, 12:04:54 PM »

What happens if you put in the settings "Avoid Ferries" or whatever the setting says?

It doesnt make one blind bit of difference. (See below which show the current options set).  But in the past Ive adjusted them all.
Neither does swapping between the quickest and shortest route options either.

Ive also noticed that it isnt just my postal code as I first thought either cause Ive just tried my home address to london and its also done the same stupid routing.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2007, 12:09:27 PM »

>> kitz, if u look out ya windows at 3ish i'll give u a wave on the way past

I'll be heading up towards town at sometime around 3, so rather than wave from my window I'll wave from the car. :)

Hope you have a good time seeing dave :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

scottiesmum

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2007, 11:22:54 AM »

If anyone is thinking of buying a Sat Nav system I can HIGHLY recommend Tom Tom's  'after service' !  I had cause to contact them today after a 'blip' with our contraption ....spoke to a lovely Frenchman here called Stefan  :love2: who listened to my tale of woe (the on off button was stuck in and wasn't connecting; we had made every effort to fix this  ???!!!!)    he then proceeded to set up a dossier and steps were put in hand for me to download an address label, telephone UPS or DHL  for collection from me and onward delivery to the Netherlands, repair, and return by the same means ...all free of charge (item bought in April 2006) ..... feeling extremely pleased with this successful call, imagine my face when hubby walked in with Tom Tom  WORKING !!!    he'd fixed it .....  :blush: :blush:  with him looking all pleased with himself  (quite rightly I suppose   :-X)  I then had to telephone Stefan to ask him to cancel said dossier as I was married to Mr.Marvel !!   ::)       So if you are interested in Tom Tom they are extremely good ! 

paul-49

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2007, 09:50:59 AM »

I have got a navman f20 satnav which is very good, if you take a wrong turn it works out a new route,(does not tell you to turn around)
updates are easy, and has buttons to get you to the nearest petrol station, car park, you can store your favaroite places, if you not sure of the post code you can type the street name
good alround satnav would recommend it,

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2007, 10:03:06 AM »

Glad you posted, Paul. You've just reminded me to give a final update on the sat-nav saga.

I ordered the Acer V210 from Amazon and just before the due delivery date they sent an email to say there would be a delay of 3 or 4 weeks. I decided to hang on and, you've guessed it, they sent another note to say they didn't know if they were going to get particular model.

A few days later Amazon had an offer on the Garmin Nuvi 610T. The reviews seemed good and it had TMC and was only slightly dearer than the Acer, so I ordered it.

It was delivered next day, worked straight out of the box and has a 4 1/4 inch screen. The re-routing is extremely fast and the routing has been very good so far. TMC seems to work well, although I have only had one journey where there was any significant delay, so the jury is out on that.

I'm happy with it, so far. It comes with a neat little leather case for when you need to stash it away when you leave the car.

ralphw

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2007, 11:55:38 AM »

I have got a navman f20 satnav which is very good, if you take a wrong turn it works out a new route,(does not tell you to turn around)
  Paul, I think you will find that depending on where you are, you will get a "do a U turn" sometimes, OK in a town it will just take you round the block, but it is not going to send you several miles extra just to avoid a U.

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2007, 01:06:59 PM »

The Garmin can be set whether to accept U-turns, or not. I have U-turns disabled because I can do a U-turn myself, if it is safe/easy/possible, and it will soon recalculate if necessary.

I forgot to say that my only criticism of the Garmin is that the map is a year or more out of date and you don't get a free initial update when you register it. You do get a month trial of the speed camera database though. I don't know whether it is worth subscribing to though.

ralphw

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2007, 01:32:56 PM »

Astral,  My Navman does not have the U turn disable, so I did not realise that some have the option. It is now over 2 years old and typically there are no new map updates available, you are expected to buy a new system... :no:    I did however get a compatable Gatso update recently which was a free download.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2007, 01:39:09 PM »

I don't know whether it is worth subscribing to though.
As I have mentioned on various occasions, anyone interested in speed safety camera's might like to take a look at:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

For £19 per year you get notifications twice monthly of the latest updated camera updates.
(Monthly £2 purchases have now been removed)

However, whilst the list of compatible sat-nav's is quite good, it does not cover all sat-nav's.

If anyone is interested and having problems accessing the list "prior" to purchasing, just let me know which system (make and model) and I will check it out for you).

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Hopefully this link may help, if you Scroll down a "little" there is a list that may help.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=35213
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 01:58:05 PM by oldfogy »

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2007, 01:55:57 PM »

so I did not realise that some have the option.

Actually, ralph, neither did I until I started playing with this one. I think I may have slagged of the Tom Tom One further up the thread for it's poor re-routeing performance. I'm wondering now whether the one I borrowed had U-turn enabled. If so, I would always turn U-turn off if you have that facility.

Thanks, OF for the link. That is £10 cheaper than the Garmin update service. Let's hope I'm compatible!

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2007, 02:13:28 PM »

Thanks, OF for the link. That is £10 cheaper than the Garmin update service. Let's hope I'm compatible!

Garmin iQue M3, Quest 2, nuvi, StreetPilot 2720, StreetPilot C310, C320, C330, C340, i2, i3, i5

These are the Garmin from the list of campatible SatNavs.

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2007, 02:16:45 PM »

Thought i wasn't on there for a mo, but it looks like all Nuvi's are OK. Thanks for that, OF.

ralphw

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2007, 02:56:39 PM »

Thanks for the link OF, I was going to try to download the gatso update but first I had to reload the software into my PC. Got that done OK but can I get it to run........ Click on the shortcut and it just starts to open the freezes. Task Manager shows it 'Not Responding'  ...  So removed and reinstalled, same again so I give up...  :comp:

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2007, 03:04:44 PM »

Ralphw:

Have you checked to make sure your AV is not blocking the install?

I know it works ok with the Navman 510, using "SmartST.Navman.iCN.510" because I did my brother-in-laws a couple of months ago.
Although because of the fidly way the Navman has to be updated, I only used the "consolidated" camera update.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 03:11:47 PM by oldfogy »

ralphw

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2007, 03:13:48 PM »

Ah  I'll have a look later when I've got a few minutes, phone has been going mad recently. Thaks OF...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything