Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Sat Nav  (Read 25145 times)

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
Re: Sat Nav
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 07:59:49 PM »

I still love maps and I don't really need satnav for getting from town to town. Satnav really comes into its own in an urban situation; no more trying to look at the map, read (often missing) road names and trying to be in the correct lane.

I used to use Autoroute quite a lot, but once got into a pickle in France with it. I was going south down the motorway from Calais and knew I had to take a right onto another motorway. Trouble was I panicked too soon and got onto the m'way to Paris. I turned off at the first exit but of course i had to pay to get off (payage cunningly concealed) and didn't fancy paying again to get back on the other carriageway, so I set off south across country but with no directions cos I was off  route. Ended up in Rheims having gone through the champagne vineyards and tried to find the motorway again. Eventually found it, but couldn't find any place names on the m'way signs that were on my Autoroute directions. Had to phone the factory I was visiting (thank goodness for roaming) to find which way to go.

Arrived eventually, but would never rely on Autoroute, alone, again.

scottiesmum

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 10:21:07 PM »

Astral, I hope you managed to sample a few glasses whilst in the Champagne region   ......  :congrats:

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 10:26:20 PM »

I was only there for a day, but I did have a champagne cocktail before dinner. The company I was visiting, who made oak flooring, used to send champagne over at Christmas.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2007, 02:25:19 AM »

but I wasn't very impressed with the re-routing when I deliberately went off course.
Sorry but I have to disagree with you, or at least with my "original" TomTom One.
Like yourself when I first got it I tried all manner of wrong turns and only once did it want to get me back on the same route as from where I deviated from, it may just be the area that you were/are in at that particular time.

Not to mention the ease of planning a journey with the full 7 digit postcode, although I believe more and more Satnav systems have now followed Tom Toms' (who were the first to use the full postcode) system.

And did I mention the Speed cameras, don't buy them from TomTom, www.Pocketgpsworld.com is far cheaper and superior at only £11:00 per year or £2:00 per month if you want, which also give you access to "all of the different brands of satnav systems" so if you have two different ones, you only need pay once (but thats probably cheating).

I did try the Medion to start with (borrowed it from my neighbour) but did not like having to fiddle with the different buttons or the tiny stylus that came with it, it was very confusing, give me the TomTom every-time.

which also give you access to "all of the different brands of satnav systems"
But not for the Medion (I just looked for my friends Medion SatNav)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 12:35:11 AM by oldfogy »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2007, 01:38:59 PM »

I have a Medion PocketPC running TomTom (that's all it is ever used for) and I just use my finger to control it rather than the stylus - the buttons on the screen are usually big enough for me.

It does usually take forever to get a fix on its position though, compared to the Medion Navigator software that came with it.
Chris

ralphw

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2007, 06:06:08 PM »

I use my Navman regularly when out doing deliveries, but usually only for the final bit to the destination.  Then back again till it gets me onto a road I know. It got a bit confused today after following it's instruction to take the third exit off a roundabout, it was a new road that was not in its system,  so it went and sulked for several miles as according to it I was going across fields.. ;D

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2007, 08:24:54 PM »

I recently acquired a set of the new UK and Europe maps.
At one of my local islands I was instructed to take the fifth exit, nothing wrong with that except their are only four exits, so it wanted to take me all the way around the island back past the turning I was coming out of to take the next exit (which is the First exit) ;D

it went and sulked for several miles as according to it I was going across fields..
This is always the biggest problem, as it depends on how old and accurate the maps are.

But to be fair, I know of several roads in the A-Z that either no longer exist or have the wrong name to them, and even after contacting the A-Z people they still did not change the mistakes..
Also only today I was looking in the latest BT telephone directory for a Comet Electrical store, however apart from there only being four listed, one of them has not existed for at least 5-6 years (they pulled it down).

But basically whatever ever satnav system we have and get used to is the one that always seems to be the best.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2007, 10:46:51 PM »

Talking of maps and directions... this is what M$ AutoRoute does for me about 9 times out of 10 if I put my postcode in as the starting point.

Yep Im really going to do that - NOT!

ps yes my settings are correct - it just insists I need to go via Ireland :(

[attachment deleted by admin]
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2007, 11:15:55 PM »

Have you checked M$ settings to check that there is not any "Travel Via" destinations set-up?

ps yes my settings are correct - it just insists I need to go via Ireland
Still maybe worth a second look, maybe.

Although I did read somewhere of something similar where the person ended-up in the English Channel.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2007, 11:32:41 PM »

>> Have you checked M$ settings to check that there is not any "Travel Via" destinations set-up?

100% certain - I twiddled with the settings many a time in the past to try and get it to work properly - but it just wont have it no matter what I change.

The only way it will work is if I put in a "stop" via Preston or somewhere around the M55.   
I know we are surrounded on 3 sides by water, but its almost as if autoroute thinks therefore you must go via ferry.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2007, 11:47:28 PM »

What happens if you put in the settings "Avoid Ferries" or whatever the setting says?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2007, 02:03:09 AM »

It's no fun then :P
Chris

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007, 07:50:47 AM »

i'll b using my tomtom to get to blackpool 2morrow ... kitz, if u look out ya windows at 3ish i'll give u a wave on the way past  ;)   ..... on my way to c dave of course !!

Paul

ralphw

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007, 08:35:26 AM »

I see to remember a bit back when someone wanted to go from, I think Nottingham to somewhere in Devon and added not to use motorways. Their route went via Dubiln. Cork and northern France...  :o

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2007, 09:06:08 AM »

According to Panomania's satnav, the area where I live doesn't exist... and I don't exactly live out in the sticks.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything