Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Sat Nav  (Read 24168 times)

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
Sat Nav
« on: August 16, 2007, 08:51:40 AM »

I'm looking for a sat nav for work. I've tried a Tom Tom One which was good as far as interface was concerned, but I wasn't very impressed with the re-routing when I deliberately went off course. It only seems to try to send you back to where you went off route, rather than calculate a sensible new route once you have strayed far enough for it to be quicker to go another way.

Any suggestions?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Sat Nav
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 11:55:05 AM »

It may be a woman thing - but I prefer the "Medion" one to "Tom Tom"...  only because it tends to give a bit more warning for things like "Turn right" where sometime I feel TomTom can leave it a bit late.
The one thing I do like about Medion is that it will normally say things like "Turn right on to the A123 etc" rather than just Turn right.
If your'e used to TomTom, the interface isnt quite as good though...  and its still quirky...  and you can still "fight" with it if you don't want to go the way its telling you :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 12:48:09 PM »

We use Tom Tom and providing we take some of it's suggestions with a pinch of salt !! it seems to do the job ...  re ...re-routing I've wondered sometimes if it is applying it's re-routing to the original choices of fastest, shortest routes etc... and whether when it appears to send you back to whence you came is it the "shortest"  or "fastest" re-route   if you see what I mean.    It does an excellent job for me here in the depths of rural France when I'm looking for a village that's not too obvious on a map ....   I've no experience of any other system ..but with them appearing fast and furious at the moment perhaps there is a better alternative .....  :)

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 02:04:57 PM »

I'm obviously very old-fashioned but I prefer the Michelin Road Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland (and the appropriate version for each European country).  It's not only easier to use but it also marks roads which have good scenic views and a variety of panoramic viewpoints accessible by car.

I feel I've got enough things/people/organisations telling me what to do that I don't really fancy buying a machine to start telling me what to do next :-X 

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 02:28:54 PM »

The real beauty of Tom Tom is that instead of hubby giving me sideways looks when I'm reading the road map upside down   ::)   IF Tom Tom sends us the wrong way I just blame  'her'   (we have the woman's voice )  ..... ;)

Another good source for routes is the Via Michelin site  ....  you can print out the route for your 'navigator' it gives you local tourist attractions, places to stay etc ....  On one trip post-Tom Tom one of the printed versions manoeuvred us around North East France, Germany, Poland and the Chez Republic, without a hitch !!!    makes one wonder why we have Tom Tom really    ;D

http://www.viamichelin.fr/viamichelin/fra/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm

Mappy is another good source for routes as well ....

http://www.mappy.fr/

You can change the language as necessary .....

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 02:58:32 PM »

I've ordered an Acer V210 from Amazon (via Kitz's shop, natch) because the basic V200 version got a good review in PC Advisor, but this model has free for life TMC traffic updates. It apparently does the navigating very well, but doesn't have all the gizmos that you never use like MP3 player, photo viewer etc etc.

Only one snag. It's not in stock!!! I shall have to be patient.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 03:42:50 PM »

I wish you hadn't done this. I've been resisting the temptation to get a satnav for ages, because I have no real need of one. Now you're going to make me jealous. :-\
  Eric

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 03:51:04 PM »

I don't think they Linux based ones yet, Eric, so you're OK for the time being. ;)

Anyway, I'd have thought by your time of life, you'd know the way to the corner shop.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 04:18:01 PM »

Er... I seem to remember something about a shop nearby, but I do have difficulty remembering things these days. Now what was it we were talking about? :'(
  Eric

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 08:08:40 PM »

i have tom tom on my compact m3 phone .... it leads me 'up the garden path' sometimes but recalculates routes pretty quickly.  it only says 'turn around' until it knows i'm closer to the recalculated route than the new route it has found.

(took me into a scrap yard once and wouldnt let me out  :'(  )

Paul

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 10:26:08 PM »

I had a bit of fun when I was trying out the Tom Tom. My last car had built-in sat-nav, so I set them both for the same destination.

Two bossy ladies telling me what to do......heaven! ;)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 11:19:14 PM »

I'm obviously very old-fashioned but I prefer the Michelin Road Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland (and the appropriate version for each European country).  It's not only easier to use but it also marks roads which have good scenic views and a variety of panoramic viewpoints accessible by car.

I feel I've got enough things/people/organisations telling me what to do that I don't really fancy buying a machine to start telling me what to do next :-X 

I agree,  as I'm just about to get my atlas out and plan my journey from south-Derbyshire down to Pevensey bay near Eastbourne with out going on any Motorways and missing out large towns also London.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 03:02:33 AM »

>> Two bossy ladies telling me what to do......heaven!

Glutton for punishment more like  :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 03:11:06 AM »

>> I agree,  as I'm just about to get my atlas out and plan my journey

I have to do that if Im going anywhere I dont know - I get panicky at the thought of not knowing the route or being stuck in traffic not knowing which way to turn next. I dont actually own my own sat nav but a certain kind soul lends me his on occasions. 
Last time I went to Sheffield though he was using it elsewhere so I got all the instructions...  and still ended up someone "talking me in" over the phone. 

Dunno how I used to manage years ago - cause I used to do quite a bit of driving to other places back then. :/
-----

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 07:14:32 PM »

I've got Autoroute, plus on the web, Multimap, Streetfinder, AA and RAC. I've got several map books.

I'd only get confused if I had satnav as well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything