Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Second line, wiring to premises  (Read 4540 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Second line, wiring to premises
« on: July 22, 2010, 02:44:49 PM »

I'm ordering a second line for DSL, and I'm wondering exactly what the BT Openreach guys will do. Do they take a couple of the other n [?] wires in the bundle that is already running into the house and light them up?

Anyone have any experience of this?

Smoke

Re: Second line, wiring to premises
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 03:18:13 PM »

Hi Weaver,

My understanding is that it all comes down to how far away from the original line you want your second one. If you want a second socket next to the original they will use the spare pair in the drop cable. If you need it further away say in an outbuilding they will install a new drop cable.

At the end of the day I believe it comes down to the engineers discretion. I stand to be corrected however.

If you have adsl provided on both lines then thats where the fun begins.

I have two seperate adsl connections on two different drop wires and on two seperate isps. Both run at 5.5mbps (IP Profile) I have found a way to load balance these connections so that when I use
a download manager I can get a download speed of 1.2MB/s (11mbps).

No expensive router is required to do this either! Only Windows 7 and two LAN cards.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 03:22:19 PM by Smoke »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 03:19:28 PM »

Hi Weaver,

Assuming you have reasonably modern wiring your black drop wire will be at least 2 pair so the BT Openreach engineer should only have to connect the spare pair at the pole box and supply a new NTE5 or similar beside your existing one. If however you order that the new master skt is elsewhere he'll have to run usually a three pair cable to the new socket site. This might be starting from the existing NTE5 or from an external junction box such as a BT 66 or more probably a BT 16 box.

He may well have to connect the pair further down the line perhaps in the PCP Green cabinet if you have one.

EDIT As you see there are many ways of (metaphorically) skinning this cat !

Kind regards,
Walter

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 01:12:22 AM »

> you have reasonably modern wiring your black drop wire will be at least 2 pair so the BT Openreach engineer should only have to connect the spare pair at the pole box and supply a new NTE5

Indeed so. I thought that would be too straightforward somehow. :-)

Second NTE5 can go next to the first one.

Lovely. Might get a total of 3.5 Mb/s from two lines!

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 01:14:16 AM »

I'm wondering however what the effects of crosstalk might be, how much I might lose below a "factor of x2".

Of course there are already all the other existing pairs in the bundle to the village to worry about ? [Shielding?]

Half a dozen of other pairs already carry ADSL, over a four mile run.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 07:38:24 PM »

In theory there shouldnt be.

The most likely place where xtalk through occurs is that the MSAN/DSLAM end (NeXT) anyhow, simply due to the amount of lines at that end and more lines using different tones.
FeXT should be negligible.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker