Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Virus phone scam being run from call centres in India  (Read 3420 times)

AdrianH

Virus phone scam being run from call centres in India
« on: July 19, 2010, 09:22:13 AM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/18/phone-scam-india-call-centres

Britons targeted by cold callers pretending to be from Microsoft phoning to fix a fake computer problem

The scam always starts the same way: the phone rings at someone's home, and the caller – usually with an Indian accent – asks for the householder, quoting their name and address before saying "I'm calling for Microsoft. We've had a report from your internet service provider of serious virus problems from your computer."

Dire forecasts are made that if the problem is not solved, the computer will become unusable.

The puzzled owner is then directed to their computer, and asked to open a program called "Windows Event Viewer". Its contents are, to the average user, worrying: they look like a long list of errors, some labelled "critical". "Yes, that's it," says the caller. "Now let me guide you through the steps to fixing it."

The computer owner is directed to a website and told to download a program that hands over remote control of the computer, and the caller "installs" various "fixes" for the problem. And then it's time to pay a fee: £185 for a "subscription" to the "preventative service".

The only catch: there was never anything wrong with the computer, the caller is not working for Microsoft or the internet service provider, and the owner has given a complete stranger access to every piece of data on their machine.

An investigation by the Guardian has established that this scam, which has been going on quietly since 2008 but has abruptly grown in scale this year, is being run from call centres based in Kolkata, by teams believed to have access to sales databases from computer and software companies....... [more]

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Virus phone scam being run from call centres in India
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 09:26:24 AM »

Sickening, isn't it? Thanks for the information.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 09:39:21 AM »

People do fall for these scams otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Just hang up...sorted.

torqpoc

• Reg Member
  • I loved the 80s!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 01:01:44 PM »

Hello,
I got a recent call from a company phoning on "behalf of Sky" offering me insurance for my Skybox.

Yet another scam type deal to watch out for. Thanks for sharing, i'd not heard of this one.

Cheers,
T

AdrianH

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 03:00:22 PM »

If you want to hear them in action listen to this  http://bethyngalw.nowster.me.uk/phonespam.mp3  ( family safe link)

this was left on the answer machine of one of the members at Idnetters..............

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 03:05:06 PM »

Just hang up...sorted.

I you feel up to it, I say keep them talking.  The time spent talking to you is time unavailable for scamming somebody else.  I do it all the time, even with the more innocent marketing calls. 

Tell them to hang on while you answer the door, or tell them the need to talk to some mythical person who's upstairs and will be down in a moment.  Every few minutes, pick up the phone an reassure them they won't have to wait much longer....    In fact, I have a lady with a lovely Indian accent hanging on right now, even as I type.   Ah the joys of summer.  ;D