Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jeremy Hunt speech  (Read 3790 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Jeremy Hunt speech
« on: June 09, 2010, 09:33:36 AM »

Gentlefolk,

This is probably a step forward but I'm still apprehensive of any policy that aims for a minimum 2 Mbps throughput without a clear specification that it must be upgradeable to speeds at least an order of magnitude more, if not even more than that.

http://www.culture.gov.uk/news/ministers_speeches/7132.aspx

If you want a skim-read, look down to the heading Rapid roll-out of superfast broadband
and the following paragraphs.

Kind reagrds,
Walter
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 09:38:56 AM by waltergmw »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Jeremy Hunt speech
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 10:01:37 AM »

Thanks for that, Walter.

Fine words, let's hope that they really do turn them into fine actions. :fingers:
  Eric

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 10:59:05 AM »

Sounds like we have a minister who actually knows something about IT.

Mandelson, I mean Labour never did.

All that money they wasted on IT projects could have gone a long way to providing a better IT infrastructure.

EX Old Labour Party Member.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 11:01:24 AM by BritBrat »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 01:38:10 PM »

Interesting, and does look mostly positive to me.

One thing though, that I'd like to see, but I don't think I do see, is some commitment to force the ISPs to upgrade their own infrastructure (as opposed to the access network)  to support high end-user connec tion speeds without congestion, without traffic-shaping, and with usage-caps that are reallistic in relation to the high speed access.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 02:28:10 PM »

Gentlefolk,

If anyone is interested in the background, there is a little more information here:-

http://www.bis.gov.uk/policies/business-sectors/telecommunications/broadband/bduk

It's encouraging to see that BIS is attempting to resolve the broadband access problem, but I do hope they will add the need for an upgrade path for the USO.

Kind regards,
Walter

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 09:17:23 AM »

Interesting, and does look mostly positive to me.

One thing though, that I'd like to see, but I don't think I do see, is some commitment to force the ISPs to upgrade their own infrastructure (as opposed to the access network)  to support high end-user connec tion speeds without congestion, without traffic-shaping, and with usage-caps that are reallistic in relation to the high speed access.

I agree, what is the point of having a faster infastructure if the ISP slows it down or makes you run out of usage the first week.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 10:48:11 AM »

Sounds like we have a minister who actually knows something about IT.

Maybe not.

Tories backtrack on broadband

THE GLOROUS RAINBOW ALLIANCE of the Tories and Liberal Democrats has decided that the great unwashed do not really need broadband after all.

Having previously believed that it could get big business to pay for connecting broadband to small rural communities, the government has finally admitted that its chums in the telecom industry laughed at the suggestion.

Again I repeat the only way we will get a fast broadband infastructure is to nationalise Openreach and pay for it from taxes.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 10:55:06 AM by BritBrat »

anything