Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Loss of WAN stats  (Read 3476 times)

tumasek

• Just arrived
Loss of WAN stats
« on: July 27, 2007, 09:51:45 PM »

I have a Huawei Smart AX MT882 Router, which appears to have a rather odd problem. The WAN stats have completely disappeared, and all I see is "Error - entry does not exist". Consequently there is no way I can see the existing stats for this, let alone change them.  All the other stat items are clearly visible.  There is a "refresh" button, but it does nothing at all.  If I reboot the computer the problem is still there.

Having said all that, the router still works and connects me to my ISP, which I find all rather puzzling. Can anyone please explain how it can work properly when the WAN stats do not exist.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Loss of WAN stats
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 03:13:42 AM »

Sounds like some part of the web interface isnt perhaps functioning as it should.

However, saying that I think I may also have un-intentionally "br0ken" the same thing at someones house when I was setting up their TT connection.  I cant recall now exactly what I did, but I'm pretty sure it was running one of the available test commands from the web interface which is supposed to check the dsl settings, because after I ran the test the WAN stats wouldnt show again.  Maybe you also attempted to run the same test?

I wasn't too concerned because I knew for a fact that it was highly unlikely that the person whose connection it was would ever access the interface again -  nvm want to know the line stats - since he calls me when ever theres anything wrong with his connection.

Anyhow the bit you are probably wanting to know -   I was still able to access these stats by telnetting direct into the router.

Use the command telnet and then 192.168.1.1
enter username and password (default = admin)
$ get dsl params

Details and an image showing how to do this on the bottom of  following page
http://www.kitz.co.uk/tute/cli_commands.htm

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tumasek

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 09:58:07 AM »

Thanks Kitz; very informative and I can now access the basic stats via the command telnet.

However, I don't recall using any DSL commands from the web interface, but I did alter some settings when I had access to the WAN page, eg internet ISP access password and a change of status to "always on". However, after the status amendment to "always on", the sync dropped and the status reverted to default. I amended it again and reconnected with the "connect" button in the status interface. It connected again OK but that is where I lost the WAN interface.

I appreciate your comments, but although I can now acess via telnet to see the SNR margin and attenuation stats, I am not able to make any amendemnts, ie change of router dialup password, router status, MTU etc, as all these appeared on the WAN interface.

Incidentally, I cannot say I am too keen on this router  - I think it's a bit of a cheapie as it constantly drops out anyway, and matters are worse when I now have no WAN interface.  I do believe also that Talktalk, who I am no longer with, disabled some of its functions in any case.  Perhaps I should get a Netgear or a Linksys; what do you think?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 10:36:36 AM »

I don't know this particular router, but most of them have a factory reset capability, which involves sticking a paperclip in a small hole in the back and holding it pressed in for several seconds. It's a bit of a risk in this case of course, because you might end up with something that doesn't work at all and no way to reconfigure it.

In your position I would be uncomfortable with a half-working box and would certainly be inclined to get a new router. Netgear and Speedtouch probably get more favourable comments than Linksys, but that's purely my impression.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 08:57:51 PM »

Like I say I dont really know what I did wrong why it broke - I just thought it would perhaps come back up at next reboot and wasnt bothered cause I still knew how to access most of the stuff I wanted via the CLI.

Since you can also access the CLI ok then it would appear that its the actual TT web interface that is perhaps poorly written and doesnt like any changes being made to it. :/

Underneath the router is actually the same as the SAR110 and Voyager 205 which is why I was so familiar with the CLI interface and able to carry on doing what I needed to do.  Both of those routers are fairly robust.

The particular router that I "broke" is going to be ditched in a few weeks anyhow and replaced with a Netgear.  Despite the fact that the user is not a heavy, already he's totally fed up with TT's "service" and "speeds" and is moving elsewhere after managing to get an early MAC key due to the very poor performance of his connection.

As roseway has said it could be worth trying the paperclip in the back to reset back to default - its something I would have possibly tried if it wasnt for the fact I knew its going to be ditched soon.

However - something else that may be of interest to you if youre happy to do as I did and access in the meantime via the CLI.  Underneath its the same as the SAR110 therefore you can use the same command set to make any changes you need.

Theres a copy of the SAR110 CLI command set here
http://www.kitz.co.uk/tute/110cli.pdf

I agree with roseway - a netgear or speedtouch would probably be the best option.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything