Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: WebMail  (Read 3979 times)

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
WebMail
« on: July 27, 2007, 05:28:59 PM »

Evening all.

I need a backup E-Mail account, and Webmail would suit.  I am about to sign up with G-Mail, but before I do can anybody suggest a superior alternative?

I am also trying to kill my Plusnet E-Mail account without much success, (treadmills sping to mind), but we will get there in the end.
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: WebMail
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 05:57:21 PM »

G-Mail seems to be the "in vogue" favourite by many.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 06:00:51 PM »

I've used BT Yahoo for years with only minor, infrequent problems. Never lost any data.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 06:11:55 PM »

>> I've used BT Yahoo for years with only minor, infrequent problems. Never lost any data.

Sore point for me.  I was one of those that lost stuff when they moved between BTinternet >> BTyahoo period.   
Then at one point I used to get so much spam into it that when I forgot to check it for a month it had accumulated something like several thousand spam mails (something like 6-7,000 iirc) which blocked my mail.  - This wasnt the spam folder but the main inbox.
In the end I had to phone up BT and get one of their agents to delete everything (including valid mail). :/
Must admit their spam filter is a heck of a lot better these days though :)

Ive also used hotmail for years - but many a time Ive lost mails etc because Ive forgotten to log in once a month.

So I suppose the moral is that who-ever you use their will always be pros and cons.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 06:20:29 PM »

Perhaps I lead a charmed life, but I only get 1 or 2 spams in my inbox per month. I get plenty in my spam box, of course, and I always run an eye over them just in case a legit one goes in there.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 06:31:24 PM »

Dunno what it is with my bt mail cause there was a period when it seemed like I'd get tons of the stuff.

For example if my email addy was me@
Then I'd also get spam addressed to
me@
me1@
men@
metal@

Its obviously dictionary type spammer that were just guessing and sending to all including lots of Bccs.
Its also possibly because I had a fairly guessable account name.. if it was something less obvious then I doubt that I would have had the same problems.
Granted they do seem to have sorted that now and it is filtered much much better than it used to be.

-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 06:46:48 PM »

I've found GMail to be fast and reliable. At the moment I use it for everything - mail to my personal domain is redirected there. And it's quite straightforward to pick it up by POP3 as well as webmail.
  Eric

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 06:58:37 PM »

Agreed Google Mail is very good. Been using it for two years now both POP3 and webmail. Very easy to use, no graphic adverts etc

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 07:41:25 PM »

Thanks all, going with G-Mail.

I raised a ticket with PN asking them to switch off the PN mail address, got a reply to say I could do it through Manage my Mail page - wrong answer.

They have now closed it from their end.

I never used it, everything including PN Admin messages goes to Fastmail, but got a lot of SPAM recently due to a security breach with Squirrel Mail.

Noticed last night that the backup mail address registered with Fastmail (for sending passwords etc.) was closed 4 years ago  :-[

Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.