Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Orange UK Hands Control of its Broadband ADSL ISP Network to BT  (Read 8560 times)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Re: Orange UK Hands Control of its Broadband ADSL ISP Network to BT
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 09:55:52 AM »

And these will be the users making the most noise about the situation. As a by I was informed by an O2 rep that with my connection I could leave my pc downloading 24/7 and get nowhere near breaking the fair usage policy, not that I could download that amount of information. This post is not just about O2, but for all those customers of all Internet Providers who think they are the only users of the Internet.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 12:02:36 PM »

As a by I was informed by an O2 rep that with my connection I could leave my pc downloading 24/7 and get nowhere near breaking the fair usage policy

But isn't that "official" statement just as irresponsible as the user who downloads 1400Gb per month ?

ISPs and O2 in particular should expect problems when they choose to sell a product as "unlimited".

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 12:07:33 PM »

The thing is I never had a warning and yes I am doing a lot of shouting about it.

They should let the customer know what the limits are and how they can keep track of usage, all good ISP's seem to be able to manage that without any problems.

Just goes to show what a load of muppets O2 are.

I am not talking about BE LLU here just the O2 Access package.

As for the 1400Gb there is no way that is possible, you can't even stream a video at times and even open a web page because the speed is so slow (Below Dialup) that they time out.

I am moving to Plusnet at the end of the month and at least I know what the limits are and the times the traffic shaping comes in and out, also I can check my usage.
I just hope the service is not worse than O2 but I think it would be very hard to be that and near on impossible.

See attached speed test, note that upload is faster than download speed.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 12:22:07 PM by BritBrat »

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 01:57:16 PM »

But isn't that "official" statement just as irresponsible as the user who downloads 1400Gb per month ?
The rep was not suggesting that I should do such a thing but was merely putting into perspective how much data was being downloaded, be it through video streaming, gaming or whatever, I think I have more consideration than to want to do that.

The unfortunate choice of an "unlimited" service is wrong I will agree, however when BT started the DSL service for us mere mortals also advertised it as "unlimited" it had no way of checking either. Even when the service was first upgraded to the infamous "upto 8meg" the terms were still in place as "unlimited", before being reduced to something like 4-5meg per month. Still no way of monitoring or checking the progress. So this is not just an O2 thing. I don't work for them or any other provider. In fact I don't work at all.
This may be a reason for Orange to let BT have all the hassle. :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 02:03:55 PM by silversurfer44 »
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 03:19:15 PM »

http://broadband.o2.co.uk/home/packages.jsp

Subject to availability, BT line, Direct Debit and 12 month minimum term. Speeds depend on factors including your location. Fair usage policy applies. Price is a discount for O2 Mobile customers. All standard charges (including any termination or cancellation fees) apply. Offer ends 31 May 2010. See o2.co.uk for full terms.

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 04:27:17 PM »

But what is the maximum download limit at which point the FUP kicks in ?

4 What about excessive network usage?

There is no limit on the monthly network usage. However if we feel that your activities are so excessive that other customers are detrimentally affected, we may give you a written warning (by email or otherwise). In extreme circumstances, if the levels of activity do not immediately decrease after the warning, we may terminate or suspend your Services.

As you can see they are still stating that there is no limit on monthly network usage.........that is what is unacceptable and which is being brought to OFCOM's attention. O2 should state that FUP will be applied on excessive monthly usage and the customer will be required to reduce their usage to "nGB maximum per month"

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 07:12:16 PM »

Hi

well 1400Gbytes /month is achievable but I would guess not may on access.

1400 GBytes month       /30
~=46GBytes/day           /24
~=1.9GBytes /HR          /3600
~=4.5MBytes/second       

How many Access connections could maintain 4.5Mbits/sec for 24/7.

The thing I do not understand is how they come up with these figures and yet they say
quote :
Unfortunately there isn’t a way for us to tell you how much data you’ve uploaded/downloaded in a particular time period, as we don’t record this information on our billing systems. Similarly there isn’t a way for you to monitor your usage.

Regards Jeff

zen user

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 07:35:30 PM »

How many Access connections could maintain 4.5Mbits/sec for 24/7.

Regards Jeff

None.

Even I could not do it and I can get around their traffic shaping on Usenet and Torrents.

Taffic shaping only works if you can get speeds higher than the traffic shaped setting :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 07:38:59 PM by BritBrat »

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 11:37:33 AM »

Hi,
My 2p worth - with ADSL24 I can see my usage clearly. So don't understand why other ISPs can't do it.
I login to my account and can this data for the previous 6 moths: Month  Downloaded  Uploaded  Total  No. of sessions

OfCom should make it mandatory for ISPs to provide this data clearly for users, along with any "fair use" limit.

Cheers,
Peter

Browni

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 03:05:52 AM »

OfCom should make it mandatory for ISPs to provide this data clearly for users, along with any "fair use" limit.

Totally agree Peter.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 12:41:02 PM »

Totally agree Peter.

Exactly.

Pages: 1 [2]