Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Orange UK Hands Control of its Broadband ADSL ISP Network to BT  (Read 8559 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Orange UK Hands Control of its Broadband ADSL ISP Network to BT
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 09:59:19 AM »

The terminology is a bit vague, but as far as I can see, what this actually means is that all Orange ADSL accounts will be BT-based, and there will be no Orange LLU.
  Eric

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 10:43:21 AM »

I wonder if O2 will be next.

Meanwhile O2 is closing the gap, having gone from 0 to 591,514 in the space of around 2 years.

But will be droping fast in the next few months.

OT:

Found this on same site.

UK ISP PlusNet Refreshes Broadband Packages and Prices

I have just signed up to the Premium 80Gig and go active in a weeks time, just made it to the older product I hope.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 10:51:02 AM by BritBrat »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 11:05:10 AM »

How many more competitors to BT will bite the dust ?

Perhaps the BT exchange charges are too high?

Kind regards,
Walter

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 11:45:03 AM »

I think in Orange's case, they lost the broadband plot a few years ago.

There are more technically effective ISPs around nowadays.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 11:50:11 AM »

...O2 ...
will be droping fast in the next few months.
Why do you think that?

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 01:54:36 PM »

Because they are throwing people out on the access package.

http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=38640

Lots have had warnings for over use but they wont say what the value is (or what they have used) so the guess at the moment is 5Gig to 80Gig.  Some seem to think they have been told 5Gig to 15Gig but they may have got that wrong but if true they will lose even more.

I never had a warning but decided I did not need the worry of keeping to some unknown amount with no way of checking usage so I have gone to Plusnet who do say what is allowed and you can check what you have used.

But there is some good news in this, If people in contract want to get out use 100Gig for a few months.   Just keep downloading the same Linux distro over and over.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 02:05:19 PM by BritBrat »

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 02:47:54 PM »

Because they are throwing people out on the access package.

I don't follow your logic there in relation to the Orange changes.

Orange LLU has for a long time been badly managed and under-funded.

O2 Access has, since its concept, been badly marketed and badly managed but O2 LLU as well as BE LLU is well funded, well managed and thriving......totally opposite to Orange's LLU status.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 03:10:20 PM »

But there is some good news in this, If people in contract want to get out use 100Gig for a few months.   Just keep downloading the same Linux distro over and over.
I find that remark quite irresponsible. I agree the access package is infinitely worse than the LLU packages, however clogging what network is available with pointless downloads is nothing more than stupid. There may be some users of the system quite happy, so why make things worse for them?
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 03:27:29 PM »

@ Oranged,

I agree about the badly marketed bit.
Three times now around Ewhurst (Including the astonishing one I posted on this site) I have had to get the web refusal over-ridden.
I wonder how many just go away when they get the rejection notice on the web site?

One might suggest they should try to connect everyone who asks, but then say they can't guarantee the performance of outliers.

Kind regards,
Walter

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 03:39:16 PM »

One might suggest they should try to connect everyone who asks, but then say they can't guarantee the performance of outliers.

I'm sorry this is now turning into an O2 thread unfortunately.

But the O2 corporate stance in respect of Access is still flawed because those high-downloaders that have been contacted are not being told the maximum limit per month under the FUP. They're just being told to reduce their downloading activity to nearer the average  ???

So in effect O2 are still marketing Access as "unlimited" by not announcing a maximum download figure......it's quite possible they'll fall foul of OFCOM if they persist because somebody will challenge them.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 04:26:44 PM »

Sorry for going off topic.

Mods can move it to it's own thread if they like.

It is not just the O2 Access usage that is the problem the whole service is not suitable for purpose, in the evenings it can be slower than dialup and that is most days and all weekend.

They have been trying to fix it for nearly a year and all the different ways they have tried have failed and I suspect even when all the so called heavy users who use 70Gig or more have left their product will still be broken as they have far to many users than the system can take.

They need to buy more bandwidth from BT.

Just had an Email from my complaint:

Dear

We’ve received your complaint to the Internet Service Providers Association regarding the O2 home broadband fair and acceptable usage policy.

The O2 home broadband service is unlimited however we do have a fair and acceptable usage policy which states:

“There is no limit on the monthly network usage. However if we feel that your activities are so excessive that other customers are detrimentally affected, we may give you a written warning (by email or otherwise). In extreme circumstances, if the levels of activity do not immediately decrease after the warning, we may terminate or suspend your Services.”

Unfortunately there isn’t a way for us to tell you how much data you’ve uploaded/downloaded in a particular time period, as we don’t record this information on our billing systems. Similarly there isn’t a way for you to monitor your usage.

We will contact you if your usage breaches our fair and acceptable usage policy, we won’t simply disconnect your home broadband service. If your usage continues to breach the fair and acceptable usage policy after we have contacted you, then we will cease your service. However as you haven’t been contacted by O2 about your usage, your usage would appear to be within this policy.

I appreciate that I may not have answered all of your questions, unfortunately I don’t have definitive answers to the questions about the fair usage policy.

If there’s anything else that we can do for you, please email us at ComplaintReviewService@o2.com

Yours sincerely

O2 Complaint Review Service

« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 09:34:55 AM by BritBrat »

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 09:02:19 PM »

HUh??

quote  However if we feel that your activities are so excessive that other customers are detrimentally affected,

Unfortunately there isn’t a way for us to tell you how much data you’ve uploaded/downloaded in a particular time period

If they cannot tell how much has been downloaded then how can they judge your activities are excessive ? clairvoyant perhaps ?,gut feeling ,hearsay ?

quote  unfortunately I don’t have definitive answers to the questions about the fair usage policy. 

They can say that again!

Regards Jeff
zen user

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 09:23:39 AM »

Here is another one I had from the Muppets.

Never recommend O2 Access to your friends, just people you do not like :)

Dear

Many thanks for your email.

We are seeing a rise in home internet consumption with everyday broadband consumers increasingly using it to download, view or upload richer data such as high definition video, games and pictures. The heaviest users on our O2 Home Broadband Access service broadband download over 1,400GB per month, that’s the equivalent of 4,500 episodes of EastEnders a month. That can be compared against the median average being less than 5GB per month.

This type of super-users are in the minority versus everyday broadband users. Yet, high up and downloading negatively affects the experience for others, making the network slower for all, especially during peak time.  

Our commitment

At O2, we recognise the constraints of the Access service, which has struggled to respond to the sharp rises in demand for home broadband that we are experiencing in the UK.

We are committed to making the best out of the service and our aim is to improve and balance the experience for all.

At O2, we will actively manage the network to ensure each and every customer gets the best service for them, whether they download 20,000 emails a year or 2,000 songs a day.  

If we need to contact someone as a result of our Fair Usage Policy, our primary goal is to help those customers find ways to modify their usage patterns and behaviours so they and other customers can benefit from optimal broadband speeds. Since December 2009 we have been contacting customers on our O2 Access where we see excessive usage affecting the service of other customers.

We do not have a specific limit but we contact customers who’s usage is negatively impacting other customers. This doesn’t mean we will automatically disconnect customer but make them aware of their usage and the impact it has on other customers. If a customer’s behaviour does not alter we will disconnect them from the service.

Kind regards

Felix Geyr

Felix Geyr

Felix has achieved much in life, despite being German. His role as BE’s Supreme Commander Managing Director involves many hardships such as weekly massages and attending parties with Shakira. An avid fitness fan, Felix runs, plays tennis, sails, and is a dab hand at Counter Strike Source. Defying stereotypes, Felix has been known to make people laugh, though the real comic genes in his family fell to first cousin Dom Joly, whom Felix is often mistaken for. Felix is recently ‘clean’ again after his latest spell in rehab at the Priory, where he continued his courageous fight against Blackberry addiction.

SOURCE: https://www.bethere.co.uk/web/beportal/beteam

« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 09:28:09 AM by BritBrat »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 09:30:06 AM »

We are seeing a rise in home internet consumption with everyday broadband consumers increasingly using it to download, view or upload richer data such as high definition video, games and pictures. The heaviest users on our O2 Home Broadband Access service broadband download over 1,400GB per month, that’s the equivalent of 4,500 episodes of EastEnders a month. That can be compared against the median average being less than 5GB per month.

I find that disgraceful.That imo is totally abusing the fair usage policy..what would happen if everyone went into that mode.  :no:
Pages: [1] 2