Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: British Gas Smart Meters  (Read 20398 times)

camallison

• Kitizen
Re: British Gas Smart Meters
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 10:29:59 AM »

The devices actually add to your power consumption, as the GPRS sender unit, the meter's elctronics, and the in home display unit, will all consume additional energy over and above what you use at the moment.  

Moreover, that energy can only be disipated as heat which, in the case of the meters, may be disipated outside the building (if you have external boxes), so although it's small, it really is wasted energy - it doesn't even contribute to heating your home.

And that's quite apart from the carbon footprint of manufacturing it all, and of disposing of millions of old meters that are still in perfect working order.

But my over-riding concern remains the possibility of 'GSM chatter' interference from  the telecommunications hub (see the .pdfs in my earlier link).

So with apologies to Colin, and no offence intended, but I don't feel positive about it all.

I think you are observing from a position of "no information", which is a shame - BG should explain better to get buy-in.  Power consumption is at the mA level for all but the occasional burst transmission by the GPRS unit.  The in-home display/payment terminal also draws very little power, the meters each draw mA levels - so where is the problem?  By referring to the display, users HAVE modified their consumption behaviour, and utilities will offer incentives to do so.  Peak load management and energy savings are all what this is about.

I urge you to look at the Electrans site and read in detail.  Extensive long-term trials have allayed our fears and hence those for you, the prospective user.

EDIT - the old meters have to be changed out at intervals anyhow - 15 to 20 years and mandated by OFGEM - to guarantee fiscal accuracy.  This replaces them with an up-to-date meter that enables remote metering.  I took the electricity meter to MID-approval and supervised development, design and testing.  I can assure you that all of your fears were ours too - no longer.

Colin
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:34:34 AM by camallison »

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 10:41:06 AM »

With both Gas and Electricity, the meters remain the property of the area supplier (In my case EDF) no matter which company invoices you for your energy.
This remains so even if you change several times.

Kind regards,
Walter

Correct - the "asset" (the meter) is re-assigned to the new utility company.  The new remote-read meters also have a digital display so that any utility company not yet participating can read it should the householder move supplier.  OFGEM certainly wouldn't allow a monopoly position to be "won" by such means as unique meters.  Having been involved in this project for the past 8 years, I can reassure you that it will be run fairly and, OFGEM will ensure that the consumer doesn't lose out.  Accurate, regular metering is in the consumer's interest, as is the possibility of in-home payment and tariff-management.

Colin

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 10:44:36 AM »

I think it may be unfair on Colin to continue debating this in public if he's bound by an NDA.  So, as the originator of the thread, may I suggest we draw a line under it and let it rest?

I may take Colin up on his offer to respond to PMs, however... :)

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 10:55:49 AM »

Thanks 7LM - I have already said more than I should!   :o

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 12:54:56 PM »

>>  For the average consumer, I think we are deluding ourselves if we anticipate lower prices via this type of metering.

Wrong - informed discussion and experience rather than speculation will prove so.  Anyone wish to take up my offer?  I don't want to post here about it as I am/have been working within the team and subject to non-disclosure.

Colin

It is a bit patronising of you to state that my view is wrong but you are not prepared to inform us how savings will be made for the average user.
The Secure Electrans site was just as vague as to costs to the consumer. The cost of installation of these meters has already risen, which will be reflected in a higher energy bill.

I am not sure why everything is being so secretive, perhaps you can PM me and explain further as you appear to be bound by the 'Official Secrets Act'.........................without breaching the 'Act' of course.

exo

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 09:35:26 PM »

Exo,  I've PM'd you - 7LM.

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2010, 06:46:34 AM »

Yes, my supplier is British Gas, though I really must get around to rectifying that some day.
I know what you mean as I foolishly went back to British Gas after leaving them a few years ago but I will start a new thread about this.

Regarding the use of smart meters and the possibilty that installing them will mean slightly more energy usage, I'm glad that I decided not to have them installed as I was thinking about it when I first migrated back to them a few months ago.
Mike
Pages: 1 [2]

anything