Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: More fun and games!  (Read 4291 times)

soms

• Reg Member
More fun and games!
« on: July 25, 2007, 10:06:16 PM »

Hi all,

On the back of Chris P Duck deciding to sort out his broadband, I decided to report my stuck IP profile (still on 250K after 6 days) to broadband tech support.

Here is the response...

I understand from your e-mail that your broadband speed has not improved for the past six days. You want the line profile to be improved to have access to faster broadband connection. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused and am here to address this issue.

Please note that your broadband speed might have stuck at the same level due to reduced line profile or faulty internal wiring. To resolve this issue, we need to test the connection on the 'test socket' which is hidden behind the panel of the master socket. You will need to remove the panel to access the test socket (you may need to use a screw driver).

Once you have removed the panel to reveal the test socket, plug in a micro filter, and then the 'DSL' cable from the filter into the modem/router. Please connect to broadband in this setup at least for 3 days. This may improve the speed profile in your line. Further, run a speed test after 3 days and check if the speed has improved. Please visit http://www.bt.com/broadband/help for solutions to most technical questions and to contact us in future.

Its one of those situations where if you didn't laugh you would cry.

What that advice is expected to achieve I haven't a clue. I am using an ADSL faceplate and you would think the fact that I have had a solid and stable sync at 1376K for six days and no move in IP profile would be self explanitory.

**EDIT**

This is what I typed when I sent my query - I thought I had made it as clear as possible at the time.

Our sync speed is 1376K and has been so for the last 6 days.

Over this last 6 days the IP profile for the line has not gone up as it should have done.

Previously we had a line profile of 1000K. This is now STUCK at 250K.

This has been confirmed using the BT Speedtester.

Please can the IP profile be unstuck or reset so that it may return to its proper maximum level.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 10:10:09 PM by soms »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: More fun and games!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 11:16:28 AM »

Brick... Head... Wall... Against... Bang*

*rearrange as appropriate :(

Good luck, hope this second reply yields a better response. You'll probably end up with an engineer visit though
Chris

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 12:06:17 PM »

Well that was actually what I sent them in the first place. I thought it was clear enough but as ever the scripted responses come before sense.

I guess I can either bitterly argue or wait 3 days and say that nothing has changed.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 03:04:32 AM »

BT Broadband Support really dont seem to have got the hang of the bRAS profile do they?

God I sympathise..   particularly after Burrows thread.  The person I spoke to said they were supposed to be looking into why the indian call center seems to have such problems with this.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,568.75.html

I dont know whats happened to Burrows problem though - the last I heard BT had been trying to contact him.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 10:15:32 AM »

BT Broadband Support really dont seem to have got the hang of the bRAS profile do they?

Indeed, the technological induction training probably consists of a 30 minute presentation or something.

My Linksys router seems to still be somewhat faulty so have gone back the the useless Home Hub instead.

Instant sync drop to around 1200K, but still enough for 1000L profile if the system worked properly. I will give it another day or two so that I can say I had "the home hub directly plugged into the test socket for 3 days" and nothing has changed.

The BT speedtester throws a wobbly as well now. It displays your IP profile but the throughput test fails. I recon this is because we have one of those BT Vision boxes and when you run a test it used to say something like "gauranteed throughput 500K" or something like that. Obviously it doesn't like working it all out when the IP profile is below that figure.

I could just about accept having a mere 1meg connection on an upto 8meg premium package, but when a family of us is trying to share 250K of bandwidth it really does make you think if a fixed line product would be better on long lines as an optional alternative to max. I guess they have probably sold off the non-max equipment now though.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 10:34:51 AM »

Yes I can imagine 250k on adsl is horrible.  From past experiences such slow speeds can actually seem worse than when on dial up. :/

>> fixed line product would be better on long lines as an optional alternative to max. I guess they have probably sold off the non-max equipment now though

It is still available and something your ISP should be able to easily arrange.

btw... The bRAS profile thingy is about to undergo some big changes in the next week or so.  Unfortunately Ive been so busy the past couple of days that I havent had chance to read and digest what they all are yet though. Things like blip logic and the amount of time taken to change your bRAS profile are set to change.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 09:27:18 AM »

I reported the IP profile was still the same and was called by India to say they had identified a line fault which was passed to the line faults who later phoned me from India to say that they could not identify a fault but were talking about the 10 day optimisation period.

Sure enough today getting download speeds which suggest 1000K profile. So even when I had given up the problem being resolved, somehow they did manage to reset the bRAS or something.

Case closed for now.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 09:35:26 AM »

>> India to say they had identified a line fault which was passed to the line faults who later phoned me from India to say that they could not identify a fault.

You know Ive seen this many times before - not just with BT but with several ISPs.  The ISP may do a WOOSH test and it throws up a possible line fault.  Yet when its passed over to BTw it comes back clear.

>> somehow they did manage to reset the bRAS or something.

At least its sorted :)

Btw a reminder to all that the new bRAS profiles are now in effect
-----