Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DSLAM chipset  (Read 7553 times)

Apprentice

• Just arrived
DSLAM chipset
« on: March 24, 2010, 10:13:34 PM »

It's wildly reported that TSTC is a Texas Instrument chipset found in some BT DSLAMs, how come it's not TI and what does TSTC stand for.

I'm not convinced till I see it in writing that TSTC is the same as TI, I've asked else where but never had a satisfactory reply  :wall:

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: DSLAM chipset
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 10:56:21 PM »

Hi Apprentice and welcome,

Perhaps a little more careful research might have led you to:-

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_explanation.htm

where you will see an explanation under vendor ID.

Kind regards,
Walter

Apprentice

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 11:38:13 AM »

Hi Walter and thanks for the welcome  :)

I've seen that link a few times but there is no explanation why TI = TSTC

There is a company that uses TSTC and that is Telestone Technologies Corporation, I haven't found out if they manufacture chipsets yet, therefore I guess TSTC does = Texas Instuments.

cheers,
Alastair

Apprentice

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 04:15:39 PM »

TSTC and TI,

Texas Instruments is so interested in our graduates that they offer a TI Scholarship at TSTC West Texas

If you look about halfway down the page you will see the above quote, taken from this  > Texas State Technical College (TSTC)

I wonder if this is the connection for the naming of the chipsets TSTC?

Edit > if not I give up  :)

Alastair
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 04:18:27 PM by Apprentice »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 04:47:13 PM »

I've spent more time than is sensible trying to find a definitive reference to these codes. I presume that there's some organisation which maintains a list, to avoid the possibility of different manufacturers using the same code, but I haven't found it. In the end I've decided that, of the known DSLAM manufacturers, TI is the only one which seems to fit with TSTC.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 08:45:54 AM »

Its one of those things that just appears to be widely known that a TI chipset will report itself to the router/dslam as TSTC.

However, Something to further muddy the waters

TI appears to have very some strong partnership ties with Amkor/Anam.  Amkor acuired TSTC (Taiwan Semiconductor Technology Corporation ) in about 2001.

I'll let you do the digging to get the exact figures if its that important.. but from a quick look they all seem closely interlinked hold a vast majority of each others shares?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 09:52:45 PM »

I've just spotted another tiny piece of this jigsaw. In the attached 2Wire HGV2700 modem diagnostics picture of an absolutley horrible line,
you will see at the top that the DSLAM is reported as TSTC but in the detailed data lines it's reported as TI.
This suggests that either the DSLAM knows it can report both names or the 2Wire (BT Business hub) knows that the coded data can be represented in both ways.

Kind regards,
Walter

[attachment deleted by admin]

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 10:41:21 PM »

Ah yes, well spotted Walter. :)
  Eric

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »

Its one of those things that just appears to be widely known that a TI chipset will report itself to the router/dslam as TSTC.

However, Something to further muddy the waters

TI appears to have very some strong partnership ties with Amkor/Anam.  Amkor acuired TSTC (Taiwan Semiconductor Technology Corporation ) in about 2001.

I'll let you do the digging to get the exact figures if its that important.. but from a quick look they all seem closely interlinked hold a vast majority of each others shares?

In 2006/2007 The chipset manufactiring side of TI was bought by the company we all know as Infineon. This was done just after TI released information for their new AR7 chipset which incorporates Wireless into the the DSL Chip.

Infineon replaced their production line mid 2007 with a new series of chips and this is when Draytek took to using the new chip in the 2820. To date the 2820 with the Infineon chipset is one of the most stable modems I have seen on a 21CN MSAN running a 2+ connection.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.