Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Re present flooding  (Read 2815 times)

big gee

Re present flooding
« on: July 23, 2007, 08:31:13 PM »

A couple of years ago I wrote to the Daily Mail letters page re flash flooding. My suggestion was that new/ existing house outer doors and lower windows could be designed/fitted with special seals so that during flooding the outside water pressure would completely seal these openings and prevent water intrusion. I thought that the extra cost of these fittings could be offset with savings in Insurance premiums. My letter was met with various replies that this would add unneeded extra cost to house prices. Anyone any thoughts ?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Re present flooding
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 10:31:14 PM »

Sounds like a good idea.

Im not an engineer/builder though so not sure how it would work.. 
What about doors? 
Or could water come in through other sources too ie penetrate the walls, up through the floor etc
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

big gee

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 10:56:11 PM »

Aw Kitz, you are a wee doll. I did mention doors Hon  :P Walls could be sealed as well as this flooding thing is not going to go away and will have to be dealt with  :'(

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 12:25:03 AM »

It's been done already, In my village the local council have provided some properties with outer sealed gates/doors that can be closed if our local brook under the road in a culvert decides it's time for it to overflow and flood the village.
I'm a 'selfbuilder' (built my own house) and can understand all the places that flood water could penetrate a building especially if it's an old one.
A few years ago we had a very bad storm and an old barn had been converted into a very expensive property in the village next to the brook, the new owners found sewage coming out of the downstairs loo in a fountain about 6  feet  ( 2m ) high and flooded the property.
The local brook flooded and found it's way into the foul sewer.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 07:55:17 AM »

It's certainly the case that more money needs to be spent on flood defences, but I think this type of measure would be best applied on new builds. As tickmike says, there are plenty of other places where water can penetrate; in my house, for example, the water would simply come up through the floor.

Really, I think, trying to keep water out from individual houses is tinkering with the problem rather than dealing with it. Broader measures need to be taken to stop rivers overflowing and to divert flood water away from those places where overflowing can't be stopped. But in cases like the present one we may just have to accept that some places will flood and we can't stop it, so we have to adapt. Apparently the water in some areas was 24 feet above its normal level, and it would take some mighty defences to stop that.
  Eric

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 08:33:06 AM »

I've had this idea of shields that could be put up around houses when flooding was likely for some years.
Maybe you and I should get together Gordon,  we could design a product that was a winner!!

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 02:04:02 PM »

The way things are going, all new houses should be built on stilts (with a boat tied to them)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 06:05:37 AM »

The estate I live on backs onto one of Norfolk's major rivers.  The environment agency are currently building new 'flood defences' which translates into a 4' wall with 3' railings on top.  I'm sure that's really going to help.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chris P Duck

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 11:10:52 AM »

The way things are going, all new houses should be built on stilts (with a boat tied to them)

Very "Betty Blue"
FTTC 80mb/20mb |  Infinity2
Exchange- Colwyn Bay WNBC | ISP BT
Ping ms 21
Download Mbps 68.15
Upload Mbps 18.56

anything