Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Landline problem  (Read 4990 times)

Paradroid

• Just arrived
Landline problem
« on: January 04, 2010, 09:33:09 PM »

There seems to be people on here who know a lot about BT phone lines, so I thought I'd ask if anyone can help me with a problem with my phone line.

The line works fine for voice calls and has a working broadband connection, although the broadband is poor due to the long line length from exchange (4.4 miles). I have an external NTE as it's a new build property, so have no test socket. I only have one faceplate in the house connected to the external NTE.

My problem is that caller ID doesn't work and the ringtone of my phone is different to how it sounded at my previous house (same phone). I've been getting the runaround between BT and the builders. BT have checked the line and say nothing is wrong. BT blamed the builders wiring, mentioning a "low resistance issue". So I had the builders out and they rechecked the wiring. They can find no fault.

It's very annoying not to have a test socket as I cannot isolate the problem.

Any ideas?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: Landline problem
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 12:12:02 PM »

Hi Paradroid and welcome,

It would be worth doing a 17070 quiet line test just to check the line hasn't been set up with the feature disabled.
If you hear the voice saying this line is identified as nnnnnn then the line isn't ex-directory.

If your line really is 7 km long then whoever is talking about low resistance is obviously not talking about the actual line resistance.

It would be a good idea to provide your modem line statistics just in case we can see anything obviously amiss.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

Kind regards,
Walter

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 12:38:37 PM »

>>> whoever is talking about low resistance is obviously not talking about the actual line resistance.

I think they meant "Low resistance A to B", in other words a partial short-circuit.
  Eric

Paradroid

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 02:03:31 PM »

Thanks folks.

If I had a test socket it would be easy to work out of the problem is the house wiring or the line.

Maybe the best thing I can do is open the external NTE, disconnect the house wiring, and wire a phone direct to the customer socket with a piece of cable. That way I can check whether caller ID works there or not

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 04:35:54 PM »

Maybe the best thing I can do is open the external NTE, disconnect the house wiring, and wire a phone direct to the customer socket with a piece of cable.

But just remember by doing that you are breaking the law and leaving yourself wide-open to prosecution "if found out"

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 04:40:04 PM »

No, that's not the case OF. With the external NTEs which are now being fitted on new installations, the BT terminating point is that external box, and the customer can change or disconnect the wiring into the house from there.
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 04:46:35 PM »

Ok.