Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Weerzr me Dad...........Fred Pass  (Read 23866 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Weerzr me Dad...........Fred Pass
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 04:07:05 PM »

I really enjoyed that book unkyUb, so much so that I have just ordered the companion volume, "Weerz me Mam"....... ;D

Hope the postal strike doesn't last too long  :(

Tbh,I haven't read that one......yet.

I'm glad you enjoyed it  :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 07:11:33 PM »

Wathay....it arrived.  :thumbs:

Setles down for good read. :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 07:12:42 AM »

I really enjoyed that book unkyUb, so much so that I have just ordered the companion volume, "Weerz me Mam"....... ;D

How did you find it TD,I'm thinking of getting it for Sue foe Christmas.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 07:32:38 AM »

I did enjoy it, unkyUb, very funny in parts, but there is a darkness, a sadness, overlaying it all.

The humour did not have the bite of his first book............it is as if all the best material went into the first and that Pass was struggling a bit to find funny stuff for the second.
There is a distinct switch from writing in the local dialect to "normal" English....that takes the edge off a little.

There is a great deal about his school days, during which the poor guy seemed to get caned about every other day, and then an extensive section on his love of both playing and watching football.

I would think that if you read Weerz me Mam first, then Weerz me Dad, you would enjoy them both thoroughly......but having read Dad first, then Mam may be a little disappointing and not quite up to expectation.

Having said all that, still a very enjoyable read.

I read on Wikipedia a short biography of Fred Pass.........and was a bit shocked to learn that he came to an untimely and tragic death, having fallen from a height during the course of his work.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 08:35:15 AM »

Thanks TD,

It is easier to relate to if you have been born in and bred in Sheffield.A lot of what he did in his childhood I can relate to.We were quite a poor family,although not as poor as Fred  and his family.
Up to being 16 and  my sister 11 we lived in a 2 up 2 down terraced house with no bathroom and an outside toilet.
I still look back on those times with great fondness and often go back to the area we use to live in,sadly the houses are no longer there and the area is not the same.

Here's a little story from my own childhood......

It was the summer holidays(a Friday).I remember this because it was what women use to call a 'pulling out day'(the day when the living room got a thorough clean and all the furniture moved to clean at the back of it)hence 'pulling out'
I was off to play football with my pals,my mum said go and get your hair cut while you are out,here's two bob.
So off I went,called at the barbers.How do you want it the barber said,just a trim please.( I always had to have short back and sides,which I hated).
Then off I went to play footy.
On my return home my mum was on her hands and knee's in front of the hearth cleaning.She turned her head and said,"I thought I told you to get your hair cut"

I've been mam was my reply.With that she sprung to her feet,twisted my head round and said "he hasn't taken any off".I said he has.She then said in a very loud voice,"well you can get yourself back and tell him to take some more off,I'm not paying two bob for that"
There was no arguing(unless you wanted your head to leave your body) :D
So I had to go back and say to the barber,"me mam said can you take some more off please" :'(
I was totally embarrassed,but dare not come home without my usual 'short back and please don't laugh' ........

My mum died in 1990 aged 61. :'(

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 08:37:50 AM »

:lol:
Pages: 1 [2]