Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSLNation Master faceplate  (Read 6624 times)

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
ADSLNation Master faceplate
« on: December 01, 2009, 08:47:44 PM »

I have an NTE-5 master socket. My router is not connected to the master socket but to a wired in BT extension. I am on ADSL2+ (LLU).

Would replacing the NTE-5 with the ADSLNation faceplate likely improve the adsl signal to my property / master socket (& extensions)? For clarity I do not intend changing anything with my set up apart from replacing the master faceplate.

What I am trying to get to basically is whether the ADSLNation master faceplate is better than the NTE-5.

I am just looking for a general opinion as I understand that everyone's set up is different.

Cheers    

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: ADSLNation Master faceplate
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 09:35:50 PM »

Hi RR,

The ADSL Nation plate contains an active filter circuit so as Roseway said recently elsewhere there are likely to be slight differences in the line loading that this filter assembly produces.
Given that you will still have to use a dongle type filter for your modem connection on a slave socket, it would seem improbable that you would gain very much, if at all.

However as this has all to be done empirically I suspect you'll have to shell out the £12 or so if you want to experiment.

I have experimented with both ADSL Nation filter faceplates and the BT SSFP filter faceplate with the modem connected directly using a 0.5 m Shielded RJ11 cable and have not been able to detect much difference in actual modem performance between the two. However others could well observe the opposite.

The only way I suspect you're likely to make real improvements would be to have the BT Master socket moved to the modem's location.
Perhaps you could have a phone fault and some bacon butties could just do the trick ?

Kind regards,
Walter

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 10:20:23 PM »

I have experimented with both ADSL Nation filter faceplates and the BT SSFP filter faceplate with the modem connected directly using a 0.5 m Shielded RJ11 cable and have not been able to detect much difference in actual modem performance between the two.
I've done exactly the same and had the same result. With both ADSL (8mbps) and ADSL2+ (20mbps)
(currently ADSLnation, but I had to go and look)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 10:47:20 PM »

RR,

It seems to me that the benefit of the ADSLNation faceplate is that, when the router is plugged directly into it,  it can be wired so as to isolate the DSL signal pretty much 100% from the house wiring, which must be a very good thing.  But that does depend on plugging the router directly into it, and I think you've said that's not an option.

If the router's to be on an extension, I think you'd need to wire the ADSLNation faceoplate so that the unfiltered DSL is carried to the extensions.  Looking at the installation .pdf that does seem to be possible, but I can't then see that it would be any benefit at all, other than the spurious effects already discussed of extra filters.

That said, I'm no authority on filtered faceplates.  I've never tried one because, like you, my router has good reasons for being on an extension socket, not the master.  If I'm missing something, or even if I'm just talking blatant rubbish, I'm sure somebody will set me to rights... :-[

- 7LM

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 11:07:43 PM »

No, you're not talking rubbish 7LM. :) You can connect an extension to the unfiltered terminals in the filtered faceplate and connect the router to the extension, but this will only make sense if you use good quality twisted-pair cable to make the connection to the extension. If you just retain the cable which is already used for the extension, then no advantage is gained.
  Eric

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 11:21:37 PM »

Many thanks for your replies guys.

I felt much the same way but just needed to bounce the idea.

Cheers

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 08:59:07 AM »

The significant point is whether or not you have more than one extension, i.e. any "star" wiring from the master socket.
If NO then a faceplate is unlikely to help.
If YES then disconnecting the bell wire is likely to get almost as good a result.

Irrespective of either of those "proper" (CW1308) extension wiring as Roseway said is preferred, without the bell wire attached of course.

Personally I use a faceplate for neatness and convenience of wiring as much as anything else. It makes so many things just that much easier and tidier.  ;)

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 10:08:28 AM »

HPsauce said:
The significant point is whether or not you have more than one extension, i.e. any "star" wiring from the master socket.
If NO then a faceplate is unlikely to help.
If YES then disconnecting the bell wire is likely to get almost as good a result.

My extensions are all daisy chained and not star wired. The bell wire was removed years ago when I went onto max and yielded good results at the time.

Cheers

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:17:33 AM by risk_reversal »

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 10:06:11 AM »

Sorry if i'm missing something here chaps... ???

But faceplate filters (well the ADSLNation one does anyway) allow you to connect unfiltered extensions which are ONLY for your ADSL. Completely separate from your voice circuits so no additional filter is required.

I've just mentioned in another thread - the ADSL signal doesn't need filtering only the voice side. So plug in filters are 'straight through' on the ADSL side of the connection.